When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

What are peoples expectations from Peter Pandemics announcement later today? I agree with others that a month long stint in Tier 4 for England would be the right move, get a degree of control back to assist the rollout. 

However, with the vaccine announcement today I expect the minimum possible changes, a couple of Tier 2 areas to Tier 3 and 1 or 2 Tier 3 areas to Tier 4.

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

And @Toilet Duck. Be interested in his take on the 12 week thing.

Haven’t seen updated data yet, but there was a signal for a longer wait between doses in their lancet paper. My best guess is the pause in the US trial led to many more participants getting dose 2 a lot later than planned and the data has firmed up because of that...but don’t know yet.

3 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

What are peoples expectations from Peter Pandemics announcement later today? I agree with others that a month long stint in Tier 4 for England would be the right move, get a degree of control back to assist the rollout. 

However, with the vaccine announcement today I expect the minimum possible changes, a couple of Tier 2 areas to Tier 3 and 1 or 2 Tier 3 areas to Tier 4.

Whatever tier movement happens is completely pointless unless it's accompanied by proper school closures. It's just like rearranging the furniture while your living room's on fire.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I understand that the Brexit deal didn't secure frictionless trade. Surely this means more border chaos from 1 Jan? Been looking around and can't find much on this, when it seems to be quite a big/obvious problem (I could be wrong - obviously).

Trade experts were saying issues there were inevitable with or without a deal. Will be interesting to see what's on the shelves next few weeks...

3 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I'm expecting tiers to remain, with most of the country in >tier 3.

I also expect there to be school closures, but not sure whether they will be part of a "tier 5" or nationwide.

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Haven’t seen updated data yet, but there was a signal for a longer wait between doses in their lancet paper. My best guess is the pause in the US trial led to many more participants getting dose 2 a lot later than planned and the data has firmed up because of that...but don’t know yet.

Do you know if new data has been released yet?

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do you know if new data has been released yet?

Haven’t seen anything yet unfortunately! It will come in due course, but they have been taking the traditional publication route rather than releasing pre-prints with their trial data, so that takes a good bit longer. Normally we’d get detailed data at conferences, but those are all online at the moment!

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm expecting tiers to remain, with most of the country in >tier 3.

I also expect there to be school closures, but not sure whether they will be part of a "tier 5" or nationwide.

yeah, do they close schools nationwide seeing as some areas obviously have much higher cases than others?

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Surely school closures would need to be an ‘all or nothing’ approach? Wouldn’t have thought it being an option to close schools in specific badly affected regions would it? 

In effect schools in badly affected areas have been shut repeatedly for the last 3 month. Son in law has been zoom schooled for 6 weeks in the first term. 

Most of my colleagues had children at home for big parts of the last term due to year groups being sent home or ad hoc closures. I think it's better to just formalise it and say schools are closed for January. Unless they do that (and delay students returning to halls) then all the pub or shop closures in the world won't make a blind bit of difference. 

Edited by sadimmock
The debate had moved on

12 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Most of my colleagues had children at home for big parts of the last term due to year groups being sent home or ad hoc closures. I think it's better to just formalise it and say schools are closed for January. Unless they do that (and delay students returning to halls) then all the pub or shop closures in the world won't make a blind bit of difference. 

I think they should do that too, only if it’s clear their plan has failed for mass testing in schools. Schools should be the last thing to close and looking at the figures and according to the scientists we are at that point. They need to give people clarity!

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Is it bad to say that i want to take the AstraZeneca vaccine over the others? I want a BRITISH made vaccine which is made with OUR LAWS by BRITISH universities? 🇬🇧 

The sad thing about this is that there are definitely going to be a few people seriously saying this on twitter today, rather than your tongue in cheek post (which I found quite funny).

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Is it bad to say that i want to take the AstraZeneca vaccine over the others? I want a BRITISH made vaccine which is made with OUR LAWS by BRITISH universities? 🇬🇧 

Closer to the truth than some may remember:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/27/no-10-reportedly-wanted-union-flag-on-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-kits