When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

8pm x

The Scum is reporting it is expected to be approved Wednesday (tomorrow). I could see them doing it tonight?

Where’s Spaffer? Surely he should at least be putting out a statement saying he’s aware of the rise in cases and they’re coming up with a plan etc.

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Where’s Spaffer? Surely he should at least be putting out a statement saying he’s aware of the rise in cases and they’re coming up with a plan etc.

That's my question too.

The Oxford approval would be lovely, but will only give rise to more nonsense in the press about how this will all be sorted by Spring (which the scum have gone with today anyway).

More vital, right now, today, is for the Prime Minister to say something - anything - about the dire situation the NHS is in, and what the government are planning to do about the fact that the current tiers/restrictions are doing fuck all.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What time did we get the Pfizer announcement ? Feels like it was early in my shift when I got notification on my watch 🙂 .... 

it was early, I know it was on the news by the time I switched it on around 7:30, sad how I remember really haha

Just now, rascalpete said:

it was early, I know it was on the news by the time I switched it on around 7:30, sad how I remember really haha

Not sad at all ... it was a major bit of good news that we all needed .... still crossing fingers for today .... but at least it’s on its way soon 

7 hours ago, xxialac said:

If we really loved the NHS instead of clapping for it, we'd not have this dire situation where these great doctors have to work in a dysfunctional underfunded environment...

Hospital Workers: What is the smallest piece of low-hanging fruit that would make coming to work so much better?

(Critical care doctor)

• Water coolers
  • Hot food out of hours
  • Being able to actually get a parking space
  • A locker Access to scrubs each day that aren’t just XXL
  • Printers that work
  • A single login to all the IT systems
  • Tea and coffee
  • Having a rota > 6/52 in advance
  • Self-rostering with SPA time

I can't speak about the facilities, but a single login to all the IT systems is not low hanging fruit.

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can't speak about the facilities, but a single login to all the IT systems is not low hanging fruit.

Fair enough but the other items are absolutely something we should be able to provide for the people who care for us. The private sector manages it. 
We say that we value the NHS. But apparently we don’t.

54 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I wonder if the contracts had any tie in with friends of ministers ?  

Yes. G4S for sure, they had security cover for several of them.

Plus others

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/04/uk-government-using-crisis-to-transfer-nhs-duties-to-private-sector

44 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

The Scum is reporting it is expected to be approved Wednesday (tomorrow). I could see them doing it tonight?

My guess is they are waiting on the Oxford all go signal, then press conference tomorrow giving the bad news with cases rising/new lockdowns etc followed up with the Oxford vaccine good news to balance..

Its the tier review tomorrow as well anyway.

Just now, Euphoricape said:

My guess is they are waiting on the Oxford all go signal, then press conference tomorrow giving the bad news with cases rising/new lockdowns etc followed up with the Oxford vaccine good news to balance..

Its the tier review tomorrow as well anyway.

That’s irresponsible to wait anymore. We aren’t children that need to have good news to counteract the bad. They are so inept it’s unreal. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ozanne said:

That’s irresponsible to wait anymore. We aren’t children that need to have good news to counteract the bad. They are so inept it’s unreal. 

Thats how Boris thinks though, he seems to think we need protecting from bad news as we can't cope unless its sugar coated. 

As someone who works in the NHS and ICU once a month I despise any suggestions that Covid isn't real and the entire NHS has been on a jolly for the previous 9 months. The damage covid does to previously healthy people is scary. What they were training us to do in April was far outside our scope of practice and also scary. Covid numbers in my hospital have surpassed the peak in April. Critical care is full and patients are now in temporary recovery areas. Several wards have shut down with covid meaning overall capacity is reduced. The only reason people haven't died on 1hospital floors up to this point is because of lock downs. In a way I wish everyone could spend just an hour on ICU. The whole thing would be taken much more seriously 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Thats how Boris thinks though, he seems to think we need protecting from bad news as we can't cope unless its sugar coated. 

It is but it’s pathetic. They can’t wait another day to do something, they need to act as if there isn’t a vaccine not be waiting around whilst hospitals fill up even more. Even if it is approved today it’s not going to make a difference to the current situation. 

Obviously isn’t the case this time with the rapid rise of Covid cases, but wonder if the general public are taking these ‘overwhelmed’ NHS messages with a pinch of salt.
We do seem to have these headlines every year in December/January, regardless of a pandemic:

2017 https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/11/nhs-crisis-20-hospitals-declare-black-alert-as-patient-safety-no-longer-assured

2018 https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/08/nhs-hospitals-emergency-measures-winter-crisis

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-hospitals-boris-johnson-winter-crisis-emergency-beds-a9242961.html%3famp

You would like to assume people would understand the severity this time, but I’m not so sure.  

Edited by st dan

47 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why is that?

Genuine question from someone who doesn't really understand these things but has to use about 10 different logins to do my pretty unimportant job. Could be more. I know it's been mentioned by my employers before, but never prioritised. 

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Probably from the weekend. 2/3 weeks lag time isn't it?

2/3 weeks lag between restrictions imposed and infection rates coming down? Wouldn't it be quicker than that? Not sure what incubation period is.
Also, doesn't new variant plus schools open plus christmas mean tier4 maybe not enough?