When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I have the option if driving to Cornwall for a pint I don't - because it would be irresponsible and I want to return to normality as quickly as possible for EVERYONE. 

Ok great I admire your outlook on that

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess in the end, when you peel back these made up societal constructs, we're just a bunch of savage animals.

This is extremely hyperbolic. Ah an early 20s young adult living in probably a small flat in London opting not to spend Christmas alone is a ‘savage animal’. You sound like a daily mail reader.

10 minutes ago, Bovla said:

I am one of the selfish people who left London last night, and to be honest I feel pretty bad about having done it.

I live in a flat with my girlfriend who had planned all along to go back with her parents yesterday and they were on their way when the news broke. I then panicked and just said I'd go with her. In hindsight, we probably should have both told her parents to turn around. And if they were picking her up today or next week I would probably argue for us to stay put. But it happened so quickly yesterday and it was as bleak as news has been since march which scared us I think. 

I am not proud of what we've done and feel guilty about any potential damage we have done. I also feel selfish as many people in similar situations will be abiding by the rules and staying put in small London flats instead of moving back to be with parents etc. But I want to enjoy Christmas and not feel guilty the whole time so hopefully I come to accept it.

I guess I just want to express that all those people who left London last night are to some some extent 'selfish' but these are special circumstances and we do have to have sympathy for everyone at this time. No-one is enjoying this and we all need support, not finger pointing

Good post and well done for showing some humility. These are all extremely tough decisions and not easy for anyone

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There probably is a national spread now after the great getaway of 19/12/2020. 

Irrespective of that, you could not have been more wrong in your original assertion. You just don't seem that willing to admit it.

Just deflection tactics now.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is extremely hyperbolic. Ah an early 20s young adult living in probably a small flat in London opting not to spend Christmas alone is a ‘savage animal’. You sound like a daily mail reader.

You've made the small flat point several times now. If it's ok to live in for the other 364 days a year why is it suddenly too small on Christmas day can I ask? 

So now we actually are the international pariah that some refused to accept we might be treated as:

"Netherlands bans flights from UK due to fast-spreading coronavirus

Dutch government says it will consider further restrictions on travel from Britain to limit spread of new strain."

https://www.politico.eu/article/netherlands-flight-travel-ban-uk-coronavirus-england-airports/

5 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You've made the small flat point several times now. If it's ok to live in for the other 364 days a year why is it suddenly too small on Christmas day can I ask? 

Ah - the Christmas is a load of nothing gaslighting. 

For me - people are selfish and however much want to pretend we’re the best possible human going will always make decisions which are best for them/ourselves.

However......  these government decisions were made to keep people in the place they currently are.  Don’t go travelling across the country and then come back moaning that things like Glastonbury aren’t happening.  Don’t be that hypocrite. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bovla said:

I am one of the selfish people who left London last night, and to be honest I feel pretty bad about having done it.

I live in a flat with my girlfriend who had planned all along to go back with her parents yesterday and they were on their way when the news broke. I then panicked and just said I'd go with her. In hindsight, we probably should have both told her parents to turn around. And if they were picking her up today or next week I would probably argue for us to stay put. But it happened so quickly yesterday and it was as bleak as news has been since march which scared us I think. 

I am not proud of what we've done and feel guilty about any potential damage we have done. I also feel selfish as many people in similar situations will be abiding by the rules and staying put in small London flats instead of moving back to be with parents etc. But I want to enjoy Christmas and not feel guilty the whole time so hopefully I come to accept it.

I guess I just want to express that all those people who left London last night are to some some extent 'selfish' but these are special circumstances and we do have to have sympathy for everyone at this time. No-one is enjoying this and we all need support, not finger pointing

That's understandable, to be honest. The way it was thrown on us all would have caused a lot of panic and changing of plans. The numbers rushing to leave London was probably predictable.

It's done now so no point beating yourself up about it. At least you'll be driving and can maybe both try to isolate for a week or so on arrival to avoid spreading further.

I do think the government have to take some responsibility for the numbers fleeing. What did they expect? Short of policing the stations (and it wasn't illegal to leave) it was always going to happen.

Certainly not true though that anyone in their right mind is doing so, as @Matt42 suggests. We were already feeling weird about seeing our parents due to the risk and would be even less likely to go now. My partner's parents live in a big house in a rural area surrounded by fields. It's lovely there at Christmas. But his dad is 75 and they don't have covid in their village, or at least not on any kind of scale. Would absolutely hate to bring it there. My parents are in tier 4 too now as well and won't be seeing anyone.

Our flat isn't big and to be honest I'm a bit sick of the sight of it! And the two parks where I go for walks. But London is my home. I do acknowledge that I'm lucky to live with my partner and that we get on well. But we will be staying put until things are better.

For anyone who got a train last night, were they as packed as normal or was there any attempt to create distancing? Our concerns about transport meant we had already sacked off going to the in-laws a while back, but am interested to know how it was. Got a few trains in the summer and it was patchy, with some cordoning off seats to create space and some not bothering. There's no effort at all on the tubes I've been on.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Surely you have to mitigate any ‘selfishness’ of people fleeing London, against how the Government have handled it.

Under mounting pressure to cancel Xmas, they deliberately had a press conference a few days ago when they literally said they wouldn’t be cancelling Xmas, then a few days later did a complete 180.

People were completely and unnecessarily lulled into a false sense of security, believing up to 4pm yesterday they could spend Xmas with their family.

Its all very well taking the moral high ground, but ultimately they’ve been completely dicked over by the government so I don’t blame anyone who decided to do something about it.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Ah - the Christmas is a load of nothing gaslighting. 

I've always got on well with you on here but grow the fuck up Matt.

I'm not judging you for making the decision to leave London, I empathise with it, but at least own it & accept it's a selfish move rather than attacking anyone and everyone who challenges you. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

25 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I have the option if driving to Cornwall for a pint I don't - because it would be irresponsible and I want to return to normality as quickly as possible for EVERYONE. 

You have the option of a pint in tier 2. 

Why does everyone keep talking about driving to fucking Cornwall. 😂

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

How I’ve got this far without pointing out that I’m staying in my flat in London for the duration is beyond me. Just another selfless act I guess. You can all thank me on my birthday. 😇

F7E48CA6-FCEE-4A5D-A84B-8675CB43BA7E.jpeg

People will be praising you and eating giant chocolate eggs in your memory for thousands of years to come!

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I've always got on well with you on here but grow the fuck up Matt.

I'm not judging you for making the decision to leave London, I empathise with it, but at least own it & accept it's a selfish move rather than attacking anyone and everyone who challenges you. 

Well your comment was total nonsense and added nothing to the conversation. Of course you can spin some clever argument that Christmas is some social construct which everyone makes a big deal of. By that logic Glastonbury is music in a field of tents.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5