When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Brownie30 said:

Boris et al want you to do exactly as some in here are doing - blame the public for their criminally negligent handling of the pandemic, right up until today. @Matt42

If a crime has been committed you should report it. Hopefully the Police station will have some steps to help you get down off your high horse as you go in with your evidence. 

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

They did think about it, Whitty specifically addressed it and said that folks should unpack their bags and prepare to remain in London for Christmas. Evidently people decided they knew better than the scientists.

So the issue is more that Whitty must be naive to still trust the british public to behave in accordance with the advice - rather than interpreting it as meaning everybody else should do this except for me - when time and again, a good chunk of the population have demonstrated their inability/unwillingness to act prosocially during this pandemic.

To be honest with you how much of the public actually watch the press conference? And out of that percentage how many people actually are listening to Chris Whitty for advice?

Even if most people follow the law they aren’t going to listen to extra advice given by Chris Whitty. At the end of the day it wasn’t illegal to leave London tonight, so people hopped onto that chance and ignored any other advice that might be given to them.

I really do wonder what proportion of south east will scrap their Christmas bubbles, as nothing will be enforced. 

What makes me the most upset angry and infuriated about all of this is that the government announced the 5 day easing like 3 weeks ago. They should have never announced any Christmas rules and just left it til now and said we will decide based on the numbers. Then dumping south east into tier 2 post lockdown and north into tier 3 look who is getting a better Christmas. The north!!! Because stricter measures and compliance is clearly better there. 

At the end of the day Christmas was a write off to me anyway, but why end lockdown in London on increasing numbers just to release everything and let everyone act like lunatics? It’s crazy. I would have rather stayed in lockdown for an extra 3 weeks and then be able to have one day with my family in confidence because the numbers were lower. But no they wanted to save Christmas shopping etc

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve said this for months but they should’ve done this.

In September come out at a press briefing saying Christmas will be different this year, you won’t be able to mix households and all be together. Then keep saying this every couple of weeks or so but every time make sure they keep on saying why and as cases rise link it back to Christmas. Make it clear it’s only one Christmas but will mean we have lots more with loved ones in the future. This makes the public aware of the situation and gets them on board long before the Christmas season; people can then make whatever arrangements they need too. It wouldn’t have been popular but would’ve saved a whole loud of heartache now and besides sometimes leadership is about giving unpopular messages at the right time for the greater good. 

I don't disagree but Christmas was already going to be different, that had been made clear, we knew that and now we can all see the most current data and the current rationale and we can see why it's going to be more different than we all hoped. Maybe they should just put us in lockdown till April to cover every eventuality?

Edited by Barney McGrew

1 minute ago, Scotdy said:

If a crime has been committed you should report it. Hopefully the Police station will have some steps to help you get down off your high horse as you go in with your evidence. 

Think they've handled the pandemic well, and in a manner that isn't to blame for significant loss of life? I'd look forward to hearing your detailed analysis. 

10 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

You've said it yourself there I'm afraid. This callous, incompetent Conservative government care more about their "popularity", branding and how they can play everyone else off on one another than they do about anything else. After Christmas when the figures get even worse they will be blaming the public immediately, wiping their hands of any blame and the press will lap it up. It is devastating to me that the path to that point is so inevitable. That is why no matter how sensible, safe and correct it would've been, there is no chance this bunch of charlatans would have given the suggestion the time of day. 

I get what you mean and a bit of me agrees. However I’m not entirely sure that their plan is to play everyone off against each other. I think the issue is that they are so ill-equipped to be in government that there is a chasm of leadership at this vital time. It also doesn’t help that the PM is an idiot who either doesn’t see the obvious or refuses to see the obvious events that are coming. It can be seen through the tier systems being introduced/amended multiple times and the late lockdown announcement all because Keir Starmer called for it before. They don’t want to make the tough decisions when it matters and by kicking the can down the road a bit hopes the situation just goes away when it hasn’t, it’s just got worse. 

Edited by Ozanne

13 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

. Maybe they should just put us in lockdown till April to cover every eventuality?

You jest but I think this is where we're heading. IF this new strain actually does spread at 70% higher rate, the NHS will be quickly overwhelmed if we do anything other than tier 3 minimum for everywhere after Christmas, when it clearly will have spread and be seeding elsewhere in the country quicker than it would in a normal month.

Essentially, if taken at face value and everything they said about the new strain proves to be true. today's announcement was "we're fucked". And if it does turn out to cause worse illness when they've studied the data more...

Edited by efcfanwirral

5 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

My heart goes out to you, I know many many people who are in the same situation as you now, it really doesnt help for me either we were told to sacrifice so much so thay we could allow this to happen in some form and now it has been so cruelly snatched away

I appreciate that. It really does feel so cruel. I have to hope that sting will dull soon because honestly it's unbearable right now.

5 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Good on you. For what it's worth I think you've made the right decision.

🤷‍♀️ I wish it felt right.

But no, I've awoken having slept for less than four hours, head pounding, eyes swollen and dry from crying, and after a few seconds remembered this shit, that there isn't anything to look forward to, and that an even more contagious strain of the virus is now sweeping across the country, very likely adding months to the time it may take for me to see my parents again.

Honestly I just want someone to knock me out until this is all over.

• Like 1

Ok...it's sad about christmas, but really...it is what it is, thn viris has become more infectious, and we have to do our best to not help spread it so more people don't die and health services don't get overrun. That is it. It is one christmas. One day. There are other days. Hopefully in the spring with vaccines and warmer weather people will be able to see family more, but until then we just have to stay away from each other.

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I'm no fan, but this seems a bit much

EpoyGSRW4AQ65fe.jpg

Sensationalism sells. It's not incorrect, it's just carefully worded to increase the fear and perpetuate the need for those most affected to have access to the next story. The exact reason why I limit my news intake to the most significant briefings only. Everything else in between, be it on the TV, social media or written press, positive or negative, I do my best to avoid. I decided in March, that this was going to be the best way for me to protect my mental health. I very quickly grew tired of the politicising and subjectivity of it all and when there's 24 hour access beamed into your eyeballs, newspapers have to fill column inches and news channels have to fill air time with exactly those things. It's very difficult to find facts within the opinion so I'm very selective of what I seek out. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's the govt's fault that people act in their own interests!

Down with this sort of thing!

😛 

That in itself is the crux of it. It's nothing to do with The North being more compliant as @FestivalJamie suggested. As there is plenty examples where I am of that not being the case. Couple of houses on our street having a steady flow of grown up kids and grandkids in and out everyday. The Sunday Roasters too. It's amazing how many families must be sharing two up two down mid terraces - they just think the rules don't apply to them and are the most vocal about it too. Oddly the the two worst offenders in our street are the two houses that have had UKIP posters up... 

It doesn't help when you have London based celebrities posting photo's of then going for nights out in London... Now I suspect they aren't going out on their own... Pubs and places could stay open and be secure if people didn't take the utter piss with it the number of photos I've seen from up and down the country of groups of people from various households sat sharing a scotch egg or a bowl of garlic bread is beyond words. It's these acts of selfishness that keep pushing us back we are given an inch and people are taking a yard. It's like dealing with kids. 

How the government overcome that I have no idea. 

7 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

That in itself is the crux of it. It's nothing to do with The North being more compliant as @FestivalJamie suggested. As there is plenty examples where I am of that not being the case. Couple of houses on our street having a steady flow of grown up kids and grandkids in and out everyday. The Sunday Roasters too. It's amazing how many families must be sharing two up two down mid terraces - they just think the rules don't apply to them and are the most vocal about it too. Oddly the the two worst offenders in our street are the two houses that have had UKIP posters up... 

It doesn't help when you have London based celebrities posting photo's of then going for nights out in London... Now I suspect they aren't going out on their own... Pubs and places could stay open and be secure if people didn't take the utter piss with it the number of photos I've seen from up and down the country of groups of people from various households sat sharing a scotch egg or a bowl of garlic bread is beyond words. It's these acts of selfishness that keep pushing us back we are given an inch and people are taking a yard. It's like dealing with kids. 

How the government overcome that I have no idea. 

Yup. The govt can be - and are - utterly shit, yet it's not the govt who'll be killing grannie.

Me, I'm hoping that Rita Ora will be kept off TV for the next 6 months, same as Kay Burley. 😄

(disclosure: I'm not sitting here being high and mighty. I'll happily break the rules if I think the situation deserves it.)

Edited by eFestivals

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yup. The govt can be - and are - utterly shit, yet it's not the govt who'll be killing grannie.

Me, I'm hoping that Rita Ora will be kept off TV for the next 6 months, same as Kay Burley. 😄

(disclosure: I'm not sitting here being high and mighty. I'll happily break the rules if I think the situation deserves it.)

Agree the Government are a crock but whatever rules they put in place they are going to be broken because we share this rock with a lot of selfish people. 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I’ll happily break rules if I find them illogical or perceive the risk level to extremely low.

Went for a walk yesterday through the fields with the wife and about 10 others + kids. All able to be sensible and social distance.

It’s meeting indoors which is the big issue!

57 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ok...it's sad about christmas, but really...it is what it is, thn viris has become more infectious, and we have to do our best to not help spread it so more people don't die and health services don't get overrun. That is it. It is one christmas. One day. There are other days. Hopefully in the spring with vaccines and warmer weather people will be able to see family more, but until then we just have to stay away from each other.

I can totally respect it from this angle but I think peoples main grievance is that we were told to sacrifice so much to allow this to happen and people were hoping for something special at the end of the year, I'm in tier 2 so will plan on seeing friends and family on walks instead of the indoor meetups but it's just disheartening despite it being for the greater good 

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Agree the Government are a crock but whatever rules they put in place they are going to be broken because we share this rock with a lot of selfish people. 

Rules will always be broken but there is definitely more low risk ways of breaking them than throwing a rave for about 500 people for instance.