When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

This is an absolute disaster for me. I don't even know how to begin to explain just how much this has messed up my plans and my head. There are people that I need to see. Like reslly need to see. I don't know what to do. 

And before I get shat on, I know how bad the situation is. But I have been given guidance and I've planned for that guidance. Damn. 

Edited by Freddyflintstonree

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Outdoor mask mandates clearly do very little to control spread. Spain had awful numbers when it had the mandate and good numbers when it still had it. The masks outside didn’t control transmission.

Outdoor masks are a pointless invasion of freedom. 

So why do you think the Spanish government have mandated them for the next 12 months? Are they stupid or do they have another reason other than disease suppression.

I say this without judgement, because, sure people have got to do what they have to do and I'm not in this situation, but... This train thing really worries me. Everyone is packed in so close, it's a recipe for disaster. I never get as close to my family at Christmas as I do to strangers on a long packed train journey.

The superspreader event isn't Christmas Day, it's right now on these packed trains.

As I said earlier, if I was on one of those trains I would be absolutely shitting it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

This is an absolute disaster for me. I don't even know how to begin to explain just how much this has messed up my plans and my head. There are people that I need to see. Like reslly need to see. I don't know what to do. 

And before I get shat on, I know how bad the situation is. But I have been given guidance and I've planned for that guidance. Damn. 

I really feel for you, the situation is awful.

4 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

my suggestion would be to try and sleep on it , and maybe post the situation when things are a little less raw on here tomorrow ... people are all going through tough times and working out what is best for yourself and others is something nobody has ever done on here in the middle of a pandemic before ... my folks often used to tell me to take a breath and I think thats right for many of us 

• Like 1

I was responsible for the ‘selfish’ post. I know it’s a strong opinion, and what I’ve read here to the contrary has changed my mind slightly, but I still think what I’ve seen is reckless and irresponsible.

This government have been appalling, the levels of incompetence are astonishing. They should not have set the 5 day, 3 households thresholds so early to raise expectations. And then, when it became clear they had lost control of the situation and despite discovery of a hugely more infectious strain, they refused on multiple occasions to head off the problem and change the rules. 

I can only assume that the most recent data presented in the last 24 hours has scared the life out of the cabinet for them to u-turn now. It must be really horrific because Boris will know that this is a moment that could sink him. ‘Boris cancels Christmas’ will be remembered.

So yes, the government are incompetent and continually compound errors with cockups. I really feel for people having to make that call at such a late stage, it’s not fair, but things have clearly changed massively for the worst and those in an area about to go tier 4 were specifically told to unpack their suitcases because the risk of spreading the new variant to others areas was too high.  Ignoring that, regardless of how useless the government is, most probably places large numbers of other people at risk and, in my view, is completely reckless. 

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I say this without judgement, because, sure people have got to do what they have to do and I'm not in this situation, but... This train thing really worries me. Everyone is packed in so close, it's a recipe for disaster. I never get as close to my family at Christmas as I do to strangers on a long packed train journey.

The superspreader event isn't Christmas Day, it's right now on these packed trains.

As I said earlier, if I was on one of those trains I would be absolutely shitting it.

And what I believe is the tories knew this would happen - they knew if they would announce this, this would be the outcome.

Yes in the academic sense we can tell people they shouldn’t do it. But people don’t behave like text books say they should.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

And what I believe is the tories knew this would happen - they knew if they would announce this, this would be the outcome.

Yes in the academic sense we can tel people they shouldn’t do it. But people don’t behave like text books say they should.

I think you credit them with too much forethought .... they lurch from one about turn to another  and we think that they have some clever plan .... maybe they dont and just have no idea 

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes in the academic sense we can tel people they shouldn’t do it. But people don’t behave like text books say they should.

They didn't set out to look like cocks, they didn't want to be pissing on everyone's chips; things have changed and thankfully they've responded... What else could they do, what would you want them to do, ignore it?

Disclaimer: they're all fickin useless!

Edited by Barney McGrew
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't personally wear a mask outside, we've been told countless times that the virus disperses in the fresh air and therefore I would personally feel comfortable without it on, I'm more than happy to comply with it indoors though still as I do sometimes feel a bit more anxious about people getting close then 

22 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Why? Spain have had this for months and been told they will have it throughout next year, those blaming the British government for causing this need to think about almost every other european country that has very similar restrictions in place. Are all those governments equally incompetent? How have they managed to come up with a similar strategy despite having differing levels of covid and different "strains"?

The outdoor bit clearly hasn't helped them - I'd imagine it's more of a visual reminder type thing and maybe feel like they're doing all they can. It'll be here soon im sure, and without advice that a wet mask is a pointless mask...

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think the only sensible option is, after christmas and not before to avoid encouraging people to do it, maybe some sort of reverse isolation, where people are encouraged to self isolate if theyve taken people from affected areas into their homes? Might mitigate some of the spread in other areas? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, Barney McGrew said:

They didn't set out to look like cocks, they didn't want to be pissing on everyone's chips; things have changed and thankfully they've responded... What else could they do, what would you want them to do, ignore it?

Of course they didnt, as has been mentioned they'll be labelled grinches for life. It's far more the style theyve done it in that's caused the uproar. Now more than ever people want to see loved ones and whilst the action is justified the suddenness of it all has made it a real gut punch for so many 

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

I wouldn't personally wear a mask outside, we've been told countless times that the virus disperses in the fresh air and therefore I would personally feel comfortable without it on, I'm more than happy to comply with it indoors though still as I do sometimes feel a bit more anxious about people getting close then 

fair enough .... I would also remind you that we were told initially that they weren't necessary .... and the advice changed ... I hope it doesnt again because im looking forward to getting rid of mine ..... but it might .... as we might need changing advice because of new strains ..... 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I think you credit them with too much forethought .... they lurch from one about turn to another  and we think that they have some clever plan .... maybe they dont and just have no idea 

This isn’t exactly a master plan though. It doesn’t take a genius to realise that if you crank up London’s restrictions at a point where many people are planning to leave the city, an awful lot of people will try and pack up and leave early before the restrictions come in.

If they didn’t think about that, then we should really be worried about who is governing us. They reason they don’t draft against it is because it takes the pressure off their image.

5 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

Disclaimer: they're all fickin useless!

I refuse to believe this evidence and these facts were only presented to them yesterday evening.

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Of course they didnt, as has been mentioned they'll be labelled grinches for life. It's far more the style theyve done it in that's caused the uproar. Now more than ever people want to see loved ones and whilst the action is justified the suddenness of it all has made it a real gut punch for so many 

How could've it been done better?

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I normally don't, because I'm normally nowhere near anyone, but went on a crowded street today and wore the fuck out of my mask all day!

That’s the thing, I wouldn’t wear one for a walk in the park or by the river, but I think personally I would feel more comfortable with them mandated on high streets etc.

This is coming from someone who works in a theme park, with maskless guests coming up to me all day and shouting questions in my face. If masks were mandatory at all times for guests in the park it would make myself and a lot of the other staff feel a lot safer. So I’m not just trying to be difficult but we wear masks all day as theme park staff and the guests don’t have to to protect us back? That’s something I find particularly not fair.

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This isn’t exactly a master plan though. It doesn’t take a genius to realise that if you crank up London’s restrictions at a point where many people are planning to leave the city, an awful lot of people will try and pack up and leave early before the restrictions come in.

If they didn’t think about that, then we should really be worried about who is governing us. They reason they don’t draft against it is because it takes the pressure off their image.

Of course they knew people were going to leave the capital - that's why it came in from midnight rather than say Sunday night. 

It's utter shit of course it is - but the situation keeps changing so the response needs to change to. It's more like a battle than building Lego. There not just following instructions. 

Their biggest biggest problem is Boris and others giving the public soundbites that keep getting wheeled out like we will be in a better position by spring etc... 

I'm not in any way a fan of the current government but I do have sympathy with their situation - as a British person I want us back to normal as soon as possible but I also understand that the government are having to think in their feet and react to changing data and situations. 

10 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

That’s the thing, I wouldn’t wear one for a walk in the park or by the river, but I think personally I would feel more comfortable with them mandated on high streets etc.

This is where I'd remain more willing for it if it was gonna busy high street but I like going to the coast for walks and I wouldnt wear a mask on that where the likelihood would be that I only see 5 other people around. If the government did go down this path I'm sure theyd elect this rather than the more draconian mask rules used in countries like Spain 

8 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

How could've it been done better?

I’ve said this for months but they should’ve done this.

In September come out at a press briefing saying Christmas will be different this year, you won’t be able to mix households and all be together. Then keep saying this every couple of weeks or so but every time make sure they keep on saying why and as cases rise link it back to Christmas. Make it clear it’s only one Christmas but will mean we have lots more with loved ones in the future. This makes the public aware of the situation and gets them on board long before the Christmas season; people can then make whatever arrangements they need too. It wouldn’t have been popular but would’ve saved a whole loud of heartache now and besides sometimes leadership is about giving unpopular messages at the right time for the greater good. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

This is where I'd remain more willing for it if it was gonna busy high street but I like going to the coast for walks and I wouldnt wear a mask on that where the likelihood would be that I only see 5 other people around. If the government did go down this path I'm sure theyd elect this rather than the more draconian mask rules used in countries like Spain 

Oh no I didn’t mean outside at all times. I just meant in busy public places where crowds form like theme park walkways and queuelines and high street shopping.

Although I ran into westfields quickly the other night to pick something up and mask compliance was horrendous, so I can’t see it being that likely that it could be enforced in the high street.