When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's not true. Not everyone.@crazyfool1 is more worried about getting ill-spreading the virus to others than being alone at Christmas.

I'm lucky living with my family that I want to spend Christmas with, so I really don't know what I would do if I lived alone in London. But I do know that the idea of getting on a packed train at the moment scares the living shit out of me.

yep totally Stu .... I know there will be other Christmas celebrations and very likely a delayed one for my family .... People hold christmas out to be a special day with family , food , and drink , with gifts .... and absolutely many people will be desperate to spend time with loved ones after a very shit year but they can still do that at a different time  .... many have lost loved ones and won't be fortunate enough to spend any Christmas days with them in the future and any mental health consequences for me would be far worse with a risk of me transmitting the virus to them 

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Plans that they were totally allowed to make A FEW DAYS AGO.

If you’re not in this situation (trying to leave London before going to Tier4) I honestly think you have no opinion on the matter. 

I don’t want to be a dick but were those trips happening now really “allowed” a few days ago if you’re following the advice?

Just now, Radiochicken said:

I don’t want to be a dick but were those trips happening now really “allowed” a few days ago if you’re following the advice?

Indeed. They may have been allowed a few days ago, but as we have all being saying on here for about a week - those plans would have been fucking stupid.

Of course the government has fucked up, but it's a pandemic, there's plenty of opportunity for us all to fuck this up!

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Their choice and you’re wrong to tut them for it if it’s a decision you haven’t had to make yourself. 

Maybe, but not the point. They shouldn't be absolved of the responsibility of their choices just because we have a shit government.

Also

The thing is, I do actually have a lot of sympathy for people doing what you're advocating. 

Anyone who has seen even a few of my posts recently might be aware of just how important the opportunity to see my parents was to me.

After talking to my Mum earlier, it's off. I might have still been persuaded to go down - as my partner and I have been isolating, could get tested, drive down etc. - but I think my Mum just wants to be able to look her not-yet-retired former NHS colleagues in the eye and say that we did all we could to get this over with as fast as we can.

I'm not trying to make out I'm a martyr - and if I didn't live with my boyfriend or I was alone I'd undoubtedly make a different decision - but any sweeping statememts about whether people are "doing the right thing", or "falling for the Tories strategy" or whether or not they care or do not care about seeing their family enough, are quite frankly bullshit. 

This situation is shit for everyone. I have been furious at the government before. I've been disgusted. I've been apoplectic with rage. I've cried. I've never had my heart broken by them before, so this is new, and I will add it to the long list of grievances I have with them and their policies.

• Upvote 6

I really would like to be a fly on the wall and understand just what the fuck the strategy/thought process behind this government is, with regards to COVID. It's been clear as day there literally hasn't been one at all and they have been terrified of making decisions.

Ultimatley thats what you get for voting in a conservative government, they don't actually want to govern.

Edited by MrBarry465

3 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Anyone who has seen even a few of my posts recently might be aware of just how important the opportunity to see my parents was to me.

After talking to my Mum earlier, it's off. I might have still been persuaded to go down - as my partner and I have been isolating, could get tested, drive down etc. - but I think my Mum just wants to be able to look her not-yet-retired former NHS colleagues in the eye and say that we did all we could to get this over with as fast as we can.

I'm not trying to make out I'm a martyr - and if I didn't live with my boyfriend or I was alone I'd undoubtedly make a different decision - but any sweeping statememts about whether people are "doing the right thing", or "falling for the Tories strategy" or whether or not they care or do not care about seeing their family enough, are quite frankly bullshit. 

This situation is shit for everyone. I have been furious at the government before. I've been disgusted. I've been apoplectic with rage. I've cried. I've never had my heart broken by them before, so this is new, and I will add it to the long list of grievances I have with them and their policies.

Out of upvotes. Fantastic post. 

5 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Good on you. For what it's worth I think you've made the right decision.

Ok, I think I'm done here. Posters are on here slaughtering each other for having differing opinions on how to deal with the most difficult decisions many of us have ever had to make in our lives. I thought you were all better than that when I joined this community a few months ago. You are all falling into the trap that the Tories are praying for.

I might come back in the new year if people start being nicer to each other - we'll see!

To all the lovely people on here who look out for each other, merry Christmas and a happy new year.

6 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

My heart goes out to you, I know many many people who are in the same situation as you now, it really doesnt help for me either we were told to sacrifice so much so thay we could allow this to happen in some form and now it has been so cruelly snatched away

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

A worrying number of Twitter comments seem to be calling for outdoors mask mandates. That is pushing things way too far...

Why? Spain have had this for months and been told they will have it throughout next year, those blaming the British government for causing this need to think about almost every other european country that has very similar restrictions in place. Are all those governments equally incompetent? How have they managed to come up with a similar strategy despite having differing levels of covid and different "strains"?

3 hours ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Some videos circulating on Twitter showing London train stations completely rammed as selfish, irresponsible idiots try to get out before the morning. 

Just drove back from work and the traffic out of London is horrendous. Clearly people are going to their bubbles now rather than next week.

Who else will be in tier 4 for Christmas?

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

Why? Spain have had this for months and been told they will have it throughout next year, those blaming the British government for causing this need to think about almost every other european country that has very similar restrictions in place. Are all those governments equally incompetent? How have they managed to come up with a similar strategy despite having differing levels of covid and different "strains"?

Outdoor mask mandates clearly do very little to control spread. Spain had awful numbers when it had the mandate and good numbers when it still had it. The masks outside didn’t control transmission.

Outdoor masks are a pointless invasion of freedom.