When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I wonder if they will keep the same household mixing thing over christmas, but restrict people from travelling outside their town or city. They really don't want a load of people travelling out of London to other parts of the country on the trains over just a few days, it's a recipe for disaster.

Also, the school thing. Schools have suddenly been told about this mass testing thing 2 days before the end of term. No one has a clue how this is to be done yet. If that bad in London and SE (and it's going to spread across the country isn't it?) then I think they will end up having to close schools, or make them part time. Johnson needs to bin Williamson and get someone in who knows what their doing.

Also again....I wonder if there will be a brexit deal today?!

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I wonder if they will keep the same household mixing thing over christmas, but restrict people from travelling outside their town or city. They really don't want a load of people travelling out of London to other parts of the country on the trains over just a few days, it's a recipe for disaster.

Also, the school thing. Schools have suddenly been told about this mass testing thing 2 days before the end of term. No one has a clue how this is to be done yet. If that bad in London and SE (and it's going to spread across the country isn't it?) then I think they will end up having to close schools, or make them part time. Johnson needs to bin Williamson and get someone in who knows what their doing.

Also again....I wonder if there will be a brexit deal today?!

I hope they ban travel in and out of all areas, but looks like its going to be just London and SE facing tougher travel restrictions for now.

7 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I hope they ban travel in and out of all areas, but looks like its going to be just London and SE facing tougher travel restrictions for now.

Ignorant Northerner here, what actually is the SE? Does it include Norfolk? To me it’s South and East but is it likely to be covered by the new restrictions? 

The harder you squeeze the stronger the pressure builds and ultimately the balloon pops.

I see any removal of the current relaxation through Christmas as being the same.

Whether most on here choose to believe it or not if you remove the relaxation people are still going to do it anyway. Plans are made & people have already made their own judgement according to the risk.

Much like driving at through a 30mph speed limit quicker than 30mph. We know we’re breaking the law but we still do it due to our own perception of the risk.

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The harder you squeeze the stronger the pressure builds and ultimately the balloon pops.

I see any removal of the current relaxation through Christmas as being the same.

Whether most on here choose to believe it or not if you remove the relaxation people are still going to do it anyway. Plans are made & people have already made their own judgement according to the risk.

Much like driving at through a 30mph speed limit quicker than 30mph. We know we’re breaking the law but we still do it due to our own perception of the risk.

They have to do something now, especially with a more transmissible strain of the virus out there. They can’t risk that being spread all around the country because of Christmas. Besides I have faith in the British people to follow the rules if they get changed at this late stage for the greater good. This is a live and fluid situation in a pandemic so changes will have to be made at short notice, the problem is that the government didn’t foresee any of this coming. 

Edited by Ozanne

In better news -

From The Telegraph today-

The Oxford vaccine is expected to be approved within days of Christmas, kickstarting a massive drive to give jabs to millions of people in January, The Telegraph can reveal.

Senior Whitehall sources believe the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) will authorise the vaccines on December 28 or 29 after final data is provided to the regulator on Monday.

Football stadia and other sites across the country will then be opened from the first week of January, to allow mass vaccinations on a scale never seen before in the UK. 

However, the progress comes amid growing fears that England is about to enter a third lockdown, with the Prime Minister recently refusing to rule out following Wales and Northern Ireland in such a course of action. 

Last week the NHS began the first Covid-19 vaccination programme in the world, with jabs given to around 140,000 elderly people and health and care workers in the first seven days. 

This week the rollout has expanded far more widely, with around 400 GP centres now involved, as well as 83 hospitals. 

Over the weekend, the total number of Britons who have received the jab is expected to pass the 500,000 mark, The Telegraph understands. 

By next week, more than 200,000 people a day should be receiving jabs, equating to well over one million doses a week by Christmas.

Once the Oxford jab gets the green light, the opening of mass vaccination centres will mean this can be increased to several million doses a week, Whitehall sources say. 

It means Britain is on course to vaccinate the 20 million most vulnerable people by March, allowing far greater release of restrictions, with the prospect the whole country could be vaccinated by summer. 

Edited by Mellotr0n

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

if that's on the money, that's excellent news.

It means the rate should be even faster if/when the Oxford vaccine is being used.

Indeed - 200,000 a day/1.4m a week (or even anything vaguely close to it) without the Oxford vaccine is fantastic news.

Sounds like they’re hoping for more like 3-4m a week with Oxford in place as well. That’s what would be needed for vulnerable done by March/April. 

Edited by Mellotr0n

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Can't see any change to Christmas rules happening now. I think there'll be a national lockdown announced for just after Christmas, lasting all of Jan initially, but likely to be extended (especially if as effective as the last one).

When people say national lockdown are we thinking the same style as November? 

Just now, JoeyT said:

When people say national lockdown are we thinking the same style as November? 

I've no idea, but I would imagine so at this stage. It worked a bit, didn't quite seem strict enough to really bring numbers down enough, but given Boris doesn't want to do a lockdown at all I can't see him making it stricter. Personally I don't see anything like curfews happening (I don't think they would be effective anyway and are somewhat unfair to shift workers) but perhaps non-essential shops could close this time.

Thing is we don't know if the second lockdown was less successful than the first because it was looser or because less people followed it. Schools and shops are the main difference, aren't they? And some workplaces perhaps. Outdoor exercise too but I don't see that having restrictions again since it's widely accepted to have little impact.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

8 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

We all have a responsibility to be a bit more cautious with the messages we're repeating. Some messages on twitter in relation to a new strain causing serious illness in young people is not a good source. 

You should either not post it in the first place or at least link to the source in the post. 

I'm being harsh because this is how rumours that cause panic start.

No need to be patronising, thanks.

There was an ongoing discussion on the impact of the new strain and I posted that there were some stories on Twitter that it potentially had a larger impact on younger people.

If you read my initial post, you can see I was stressing that at this point it was nothing more than a rolling snowball on Twitter - "nothing close to conclusive".

I thought it was worth discussing in case anyone had heard anything else, and a few minutes later Zahidf clarified a bit more information and then followed it up with even more information from the BMJ, so my post was worthwhile from a personal point of view.

How do you know others on here hadn't been reading the same things as me and they too had their fears alleviated somewhat by the discussion?

I get that it is annoying on this thread when people say something as fact without posting a source, but I made it very obvious that I was discussing information from Twitter and made it clear that there was nothing concrete in it.

Just now, northernringo said:

There was an ongoing discussion on the impact of the new strain and I posted that there were some stories on Twitter that it potentially had a larger impact on younger people.

If you read my initial post, you can see I was stressing that at this point it was nothing more than a rolling snowball on Twitter - "nothing close to conclusive".

I thought it was worth discussing in case anyone had heard anything else, and a few minutes later Zahidf clarified a bit more information and then followed it up with even more information from the BMJ, so my post was worthwhile from a personal point of view.

How do you know others on here hadn't been reading the same things as me and they too had their fears alleviated somewhat by the discussion?

I get that it is annoying on this thread when people say something as fact without posting a source, but I made it very obvious that I was discussing information from Twitter and made it clear that there was nothing concrete in it.

Yeah I think you made it very clear what you'd seen and gave plenty of caveats. More than a lot do on here!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Glad you'll bear in mind in the future.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Ignorant Northerner here, what actually is the SE? Does it include Norfolk? To me it’s South and East but is it likely to be covered by the new restrictions? 

As a southerner, Norfolk seems like the north to me!

In terms of government regions, it's in the east of England.

Screenshot_20201219-101425.thumb.png.467bd492c72b6e5abef325020794f983.png

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

I don't know...if people see infections rates rising rapidly fear will replace anger.

1 hour ago, Mellotr0n said:

In better news -

From The Telegraph today-

The Oxford vaccine is expected to be approved within days of Christmas, kickstarting a massive drive to give jabs to millions of people in January, The Telegraph can reveal.

Senior Whitehall sources believe the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) will authorise the vaccines on December 28 or 29 after final data is provided to the regulator on Monday.

Football stadia and other sites across the country will then be opened from the first week of January, to allow mass vaccinations on a scale never seen before in the UK. 

However, the progress comes amid growing fears that England is about to enter a third lockdown, with the Prime Minister recently refusing to rule out following Wales and Northern Ireland in such a course of action. 

Last week the NHS began the first Covid-19 vaccination programme in the world, with jabs given to around 140,000 elderly people and health and care workers in the first seven days. 

This week the rollout has expanded far more widely, with around 400 GP centres now involved, as well as 83 hospitals. 

Over the weekend, the total number of Britons who have received the jab is expected to pass the 500,000 mark, The Telegraph understands. 

By next week, more than 200,000 people a day should be receiving jabs, equating to well over one million doses a week by Christmas.

Once the Oxford jab gets the green light, the opening of mass vaccination centres will mean this can be increased to several million doses a week, Whitehall sources say. 

It means Britain is on course to vaccinate the 20 million most vulnerable people by March, allowing far greater release of restrictions, with the prospect the whole country could be vaccinated by summer. 

we'll see....

7 minutes ago, Simsy said:

As a southerner, Norfolk seems like the north to me!

In terms of government regions, it's in the east of England.

Screenshot_20201219-101425.thumb.png.467bd492c72b6e5abef325020794f983.png

Can’t have that! Norfolk in the north!! 

On that map North West, Yorkshire and North East only. No midlands and certainly no East!