When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I know someone who potentially falls in this category and they regularly fly all over the shop for “important meetings” which are essentially going to high end restaurants to “forge relationships” and all that BS. It’s obviously vital that Alok’s mates can keep bringing in their frequent flyer miles, flying halfway across the world for a coffee and dinner with some client. Because you know, the world can’t function properly without that happening and Teams is only suitable for us plebs.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I know someone who potentially falls in this category and they regularly fly all over the shop for “important meetings” which are essentially going to high end restaurants to “forge relationships” and all that BS. It’s obviously vital that Alok’s mates can keep bringing in their frequent flyer miles, flying halfway across the world for a coffee and dinner with some client. Because you know, the world can’t function properly without that happening and Teams is only suitable for us plebs.

they will probably be quietly getting an early vaccine too...

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I said this right at the beginning in reference to the 2020 festival but I was concerned that the Gov would cancel certain events like Glastonbury but allow certain other ones like Wimbledon to continue as their friends liked to go. This type of news we are seeing now doesn’t really quell those concerns, allow the rich and powerful to ride around the world whilst us poorer folk are at home. 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they will probably be quietly getting an early vaccine too...

I definitely expect so! What if their super crucial business meeting is over in Japan or China? Might need it to enter the country.

I'm not surprised they're doing it as it's the kind of shit they would do. What surprises me is the total lack of even trying to justify it. They used to at least pretend there were reasons for things. Now they can't even be arsed. They treat us with utter contempt and half the country will still bloody vote for them in four years.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

This is good for bands and artists to come over here to play and tour, right?

Yep. There is a specific mention of Performing Artists in the exemption, along with recently signed footballers etc and some others as well. So although it's a been presented as a rich man's pass, it also opens things up for bands wanting to come here and play and not have to quarantine.

Other new categories of traveller excluded from the usual 14-day coronavirus quarantine include professionals in the performing arts, TV production staff, journalists and recently signed elite sportspeople.

Edited by Copperface

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

But is that just high-value performing artists? Or any touring band? Presumably just the former?

Don’t worry it’ll be fine, we should be appreciative we’ve been allowed back outside again meanwhile the rich ‘sporting elite’ can jet around the world then come here and not have to quarantine. I hate the Tories so much. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's mental. What amazed me about it too is it seems the kind of thing they would want to brush under the carpet a bit, not celebrate on Twitter. I thought the tweet was a parody for a second!

Shit like this worries me that they are just going to make some fucking stupid decisions that will see us back in lockdown in a few weeks. Or at least with the kind of numbers that suggest we should be.

Unless it’s to get tongues wagging because they have something else to brush under the carpet. It’s suspicious that they dedicated one tweet to ‘high value business people’ and another to 4 less controversial professions. They would have known exactly how people will react. How everyone is on this feed basically. I smell a rat.

15 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, true...but a lot of this is fear and confidence, right? If people see numbers coming down, lockdowns coming to an end, vaccines on the way...maybe more likely to break rules on household visits etc...?

Just thought, if you plot the case numbers on a log chart, then you should see a straight line if it's just the maths.  If the log scale looks like it's tapering off, then some of it is behavioural.

42 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I know that’s a pun .... but I was thinking it might prevent travel In some areas and therefore prevent some mixing ... you know we get chaos here when it snows 

It’s snow problem down here, we don’t get any snow at all. 

49 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Actually, you're right.  We won't hit 3000 though.

I'm not so sure.

Not because I'm pessimistic about the virus/vaccines over the coming months, but more that I think there's still going to be plenty to talk about in here for the next 4-6 months.