When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On 12/1/2020 at 4:38 PM, Brownie30 said:

Seems almost perverse with numbers still looking pretty concerning BUT tomorrow evening I will have my first real taste of a return to pre-Covid life as one of 1000 fans let in to a pilot event at the mighty Wycombe Wanderers vs Stoke City in the Championship. All tickets spaced out by 3 / 4 seats apart, one way systems, temp checks and masks enforced all around the ground, even outdoors. Bound to be very weird, but with football and gigs / festivals the two main staples of my social life I'm incredibly excited to get a first real taste of one of them for the first real time since March! 

Went along to this last night, first live football match since the end of Feb. Impeccably handled by all staff and stewards - 1000 fans socially distanced, masks worn at all times, staggered entry times given to all ticket holders on the day of purchase and the stadium emptied gradually block by block at the end of the game. Chanting, singing and shouting was very much allowed (just ask the pro-Stoke referee...) with stewards gently but rapidly informing anyone with a mask dropped to re-adjust. It was an absolute dream to be returning to something that means an awful lot to myself, my friends and family albeit in unusual circumstances. 10 minutes in and you just forgot about everything and remembered you were back in a football ground. I cannot wait for the same sensation when live music returns. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

Went along to this last night, first live football match since the end of Feb. Impeccably handled by all staff and stewards - 1000 fans socially distanced, masks worn at all times, staggered entry times given to all ticket holders on the day of purchase and the stadium emptied gradually block by block at the end of the game. Chanting, singing and shouting was very much allowed (just ask the pro-Stoke referee...) with stewards gently but rapidly informing anyone with a mask dropped to re-adjust. It was an absolute dream to be returning to something that means an awful lot to myself, my friends and family albeit in unusual circumstances. 10 minutes in and you just forgot about everything and remembered you were back in a football ground. I cannot wait for the same sensation when live music returns. 

Sounds great. Glad you had such a good time. Can't wait for it to be replicated everywhere soon...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Uh oh. Pfizer now only going to hit 50% of what it had planned to in 2020.

While clearly not good news, this was already known and shouldn't impact current rollout plans. 50m is the number in Pfizer's press release from last month: https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2020/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-Conclude-Phase-3-Study-of-COVID-19-Vaccine-Candidate-Meeting-All-Primary-Efficacy-Endpoints/default.aspx

I know we're all nervous with a potential festival-filled summer in sight, but there's no need to panic!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is an interesting thread:

I’m not too surprised. The red wall largely leant their votes to Boris to get Brexit done (which he already did, the general public isn’t too interested in the trade deal) and to avoid Corbyn in number 10. With a more centrist Labour leader who’s not proposing to reverse Brexit, and Boris making an absolute arse of himself, it’s good to see those northern seats preferring Labour again. The much harder task Starmer has got is winning back the middle England bell weathers that turned red in 97 and blue in 2010

Biden will ask Americans to wear masks for his first 100 days in office

The US president-elect Joe Biden has told CNN that it was his “inclination” that, on his inauguration, he would ask the public to wear masks for the first 100 days of his administration to help drive down the spread of the virus.

Biden said he would issue an order for masks to be worn inside federal buildings and in transportation facilities.

8 hours ago, Brownie30 said:

Sounds great! How did they allocate seats out of interest? Been wondering this as assume demand is huge! A lottery among season ticket holders? Was where you travel from a consideration? Ta!

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

Sounds great! How did they allocate seats out of interest? Been wondering this as assume demand is huge! A lottery among season ticket holders? Was where you travel from a consideration? Ta!

Liverpool are doing a ballot. You can also only apply if you’re from a Liverpool postcode

23 minutes ago, Homer said:

At Luton we did a ballot of season ticket holders for the first one, then season ticket holders will go on a rota for subsequent matches. 

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've no idea what high-value means in this context so don't know. Seems pretty bloody reckless to me. 

They just asked Alok Sharma about that on the news and he couldn’t explain it either... I think it’s if they’re mates with them.

9 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

This is good for bands and artists to come over here to play and tour, right?

In the very short term, yes...but that's when there's no real possibility to play.

But quarantine was always going to be a temporary measure and will be long gone by next spring.

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

They just asked Alok Sharma about that on the news and he couldn’t explain it either... I think it’s if they’re mates with them.

It's mental. What amazed me about it too is it seems the kind of thing they would want to brush under the carpet a bit, not celebrate on Twitter. I thought the tweet was a parody for a second!

Shit like this worries me that they are just going to make some fucking stupid decisions that will see us back in lockdown in a few weeks. Or at least with the kind of numbers that suggest we should be.