When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

All the debate regarding how quickly we can go really can't be proven either way until we know about the Oxford vaccine. If/when that is approved, you suddenly have the options of local PCTs being able to give the jab quickly and efficiently, alongside hospitals and the large vaccination centres.

I am no big fan of this Government, but - from reading various articles and comments from people who know far more than me - it does appear that as a country we have a genuinely solid reputation for being very good at mass flu vaccinations every year.

I think some will be very surprised at how quickly this can be rolled out and take effect.

Edited by Mellotr0n

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

22 per minute probably means 350ish patients in at any one time given an average stay of 15 minutes 

Yeah, that sounds very achievable with the right amount of space and staff. I hope that they've considered what that'll do to local roads and parking though, as it'll screw things right up if people are stuck on the road unable to get in.

11 minutes ago, Copperface said:

22 people per minute, with all the associated distancing, recovery times, record keeping and data entry?

All day, without a break for 12 hours solid?

that sort of throughput is doable with enough staff and vaccination points/lines/queues. It's being staffed by the RAF.

I've little idea of the space available there, but i presume they've come up with the 110,000 number having worked everything out as doable. 

23 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

True - though could counter that with the fact anybody could pick up any other virus tomorrow and get post viral long term issues

Ah I did think you mean after restrictions were lifted though!

Oh no when the restrictions are lifted then I’ll go about my business but if the vulnerable have been vaccinated and restrictions are still in place in some form then I’ll stick to them. 

It's the army that is setting it up apparently.

The figures quoted are for entire projected rates throughout Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire. and include pharmacies, GPs and other mobile and pop up vehicles and centres so not just Ashton Gate.  That seems more realistic

"Between 75,000 and 110,000 people in the city, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire will receive vaccines every week from Monday, December 7, until April 5, according to a report to University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Trust (UHBW) board.

Pharmacies will fill the gaps where GP coverage is low, and home visits will be carried out for housebound people, the area’s clinical commissioning group says.

At least 70 per cent of the local population will need to be vaccinated, which involves a second dose three to four weeks after the first."

This is the actual NHS paper which outlines this:

https://www.uhbw.nhs.uk/assets/1/public_board_271120_pdf_pack_v3.pdf

Secction E outlines it clearly

E. Mass vaccination We are mobilising in order to be prepared to deliver a BNSSG mass vaccinations programme. This will form part of the national and regional level programmes. We expect that this programme will be delivered in three phases. NBT will act as Lead Provider and the governance of the programme will facilitate oversight by the BNSSG EPPR command and the NHSEI SW Region. Key points to note:  National plan to deliver through mass vaccination centres (MVC), community sites and ‘roving’ model for care homes and housebound  Phase 1 is >80s, care home residents & staff, health & social care workers  NBT Lead Provider role now expanded to act as ‘Management & Co-ordination Organisation’ (MCO) overseeing all aspects  Regional modelling assumption of 75,000-110,000 vaccinations delivered to BNSSG population weekly from 7 December – 5 April 2021  Services expected to operate 12 hours / day & 7 days / week  Financial allocation (£2.3m) issued last week to support workforce & estates  Complex and evolving programme – cannot define, test & agree entire clinical model before launch. Will need to be phased agreement of delivery models, iterating as vaccines emerge & uptake / acceptability of different models are tested  Potential large scale site identified by PHE / local team / NHSEI SW – Ashton Gate Stadium  Community centre model to be offered  Mass vaccination enhanced service announced for general practice

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Nasty sounding explosion at a warehouse in Bristol :( 

We just had a Lorry carrying chemicals for hand sanitizer blow up literally at the end of our street a couple days ago. The explosions shook the room, I was surprised never seen anything like it. Everyone was okay. He knocked out the BT internet (im with virgin thankfully) and burned down a lot of tree but again no one was badly injured. Was like 5 or 6 explosions atleast just from the lorry

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

One job I couldn't do. No experience required. £11.20 per hour

https://vaccine-jobs.nhsp.uk/vaccinator.html

Job tenure 3-6 months tells you quite a bit surely? I.e they fully expect the main vaccination drive to be over in 6 months from when it starts. Great news if it comes to fruition.

once oxford gets approved it will be full steam ahead

Edited by Memory Man

5 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Job tenure 3-6 months tells you quite a bit surely? I.e they fully expect the main vaccination drive to be over in 6 months from when it starts. Great news if it comes to fruition.

once oxford gets approved it will be full steam ahead

Renewable. Most of these NHS contracts, like the testing and the Contact tracing are on 6 month renewable contracts subject to extension.

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Renewable. Most of these NHS contracts, like the testing and the Contact tracing are on 6 month renewable contracts subject to extension.

"These roles are based on a Fixed Term Contract for 3-6 months, but please be aware that due to the versatile nature of this programme, this term could be subject to change."

To me it sounds (and of course makes sense) that they will obviously throw everything at it for 6 months and then renew the contracts of those required beyond that period which will be substantially less given the most vulnerable will be vaccinated by then.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

"These roles are based on a Fixed Term Contract for 3-6 months, but please be aware that due to the versatile nature of this programme, this term could be subject to change."

To me it sounds (and of course makes sense) that they will obviously throw everything at it for 6 months and then renew the contracts of those required beyond that period which will be substantially less given the most vulnerable will be vaccinated by then.

Why less? The medical advisors have repeatedly said they need to get to around 65 to 70% before they can start to control the spread. Not talking about deaths or hospitalisations, but the spread.

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Why less? The medical advisors have repeatedly said they need to get to around 65 to 70% before they can start to control the spread. Not talking about deaths or hospitalisations, but the spread.

The scientists will want as little spread as possible, but the government only care about NHS and deaths

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

The scientists will want as little spread as possible, but the government only care about NHS and deaths

But what the government care about in your point is irrelevant to the vaccination programme which will continue apace.

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yep for sure it seems like the recent outbreaks in Kent are spilling over into East London. I think there’s a decent chance the “one city” approach to London will end at the next review with Eastern boroughs moving into tier 3 and centre/West boroughs staying at level 2. 

Figures in NI seem to have levelled off too.

Our lockdowns have been all over the place recently too, our current one is supposed to be fairly strict and has one more week from Friday.

I say it is supposed to be pretty strict as shops, etc are supposed to be closed but during the original lockdown we had supermarkets, off licences and buthcers, etc open. Now we have school uniform shops (which also sell loads of other clothes), candle shops, florists, etc all open.