When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

@crazyfool1 I have a contract to start working in germany 10th march 2021. I’m now 95% sure it will fall through (again). But their vaccination timeline doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence that we will meet ours when theirs is a lot less ambitious than ours. 

Maybe the UK will surprise me, but globally or at least EU wide I guess we will never get out of it until the global effort has been completed.

Absolutely yes ... but we will be able to regain more of a sense of normality here ... whilst possibly not entirely fair or right ... it’s just how it will always work ... one country will always be earlier than others to complete the rollout and that will depend on quite a few factors ... I’ve been having the flu jab for 10years or so and this year the delivery was incredible ... that gives me confidence that at least the people in that group can get it very efficiently ... with all the added infrastructure that’s being put in place ... the numbers are big but it’s something we do every year ... it’s just the numbers that need ramping up and obviously the vaccine being available to do the jabs 

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yep.

This 1 million a week figure needs to be squashed, fast.

I really can't see 100k per week week at Ashton Gate when you take into account parking, transport, recovery time, registration/recording, social distancing etc. The Guardian's quote of 5k per day (so 35k per week) sounds way more realistic. And that will be for one dose, when the process will need to be repeated three weeks later. The one million per week is a target, and from the reports below most think that around 7-800,000 will be possible per week. And that is not even taking supply and further logistical  problems into account.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/11/thousands-of-hospital-staff-to-be-deployed-in-covid-vaccine-rollout

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nhs-plans-to-vaccinate-one-million-every-week-8xvzvk608

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nhs-use-stadiums-surgeries-vaccinate-22996880

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-vaccine-one-million-people-every-week-094721822.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAI53YuHBZZk5_nmIR0GLuOepr3L-OfYRw80L5rVNte9KnQvOVZZjFlSWk2RUH0qNURS99-Q5tXXmNp9bojC0kaBz_3umLcmas2MCaY-_bX5SutmUy3wyVOKMGUaR4JiwUYYGs7V8ARH1ttjHh1wnNkmf3Uh_qM2DlkbVL7PtfS57

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The Astrazeneca vaccine is the big one...we have loads ordered, and it is easier to distribute here and globally.

Yeah absolutely.

I wonder if the cautious tone from the scientists will turn more positive in regards to outlook once that one is authorised.

JVT did give an impression we'd get authorisation before Christmas earlier so fingers crossed!

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Absolutely yes ... but we will be able to regain more of a sense of normality here ... whilst possibly not entirely fair or right ... it’s just how it will always work ... one country will always be earlier than others to complete the rollout and that will depend on quite a few factors ... I’ve been having the flu jab for 10years or so and this year the delivery was incredible ... that gives me confidence that at least the people in that group can get it very efficiently ... with all the added infrastructure that’s being put in place ... the numbers are big but it’s something we do every year ... it’s just the numbers that need ramping up and obviously the vaccine being available to do the jabs 

I still have reservations that we can do rollout quicker than such an efficient country like Germany.

3 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I really can't see 100k per week week at Ashton Gate when you take into account parking, transport, recovery time, registration/recording, social distancing etc. The Guardian's quote of 5k per day (so 35k per week) sounds way more realistic. And that will be for one dose, when the process will need to be repeated three weeks later. The one million per week is a target, and from the reports below most think that around 7-800,000 will be possible per week. And that is not even taking supply and further logistical  problems into account.

Sort of depends how much you commit to it. You could run something like this 24/7. I'd be willing to get up at 4am to go get vaccinated against a deadly disease!

Keeping to rules and taking advice and making an informed choice does not make you a loser!! In makes you confident in decision making!! 
there are lots of dilemmas and people having to make individual choices to consider themselves and other people’s needs!! This can some times put you in a difficult position! 
I live in tier two and work frontline in tier three! My parents live in tier two and still don’t get why I’m reluctant to visit!! 🤷🏼‍♀️ What do you do? I want to see my my friends and family but have to go to work!! 🤷🏼‍♀️ So have to weigh up the risk! 

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I still have reservations that we can do rollout quicker than such an efficient country like Germany.

You have reason to be cautious, it’s not like the UK government haven’t given you reason to be what with all the previous cock ups in this pandemic.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

but they have mostly Pfizer which is going to be slower logistically to rollout because of the temperature constraints ? 

But then we could argue Pfizer has better efficacy and thus less people need to be vaccinated with Pfizer compared to AstraZeneca to reach “herd immunity”.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You have reason to be cautious, it’s not like the UK government haven’t given you reason to be what with all the previous cock ups in this pandemic.

To be honest I’m just fed up of them, and I really don’t have much trust in them at all anymore. I just want to know what is realistically achievable rather than ambitious claims which are never delivered on. Yesterday also made me very stressed on 16,000 positive tests and reopening things because Matt Hancock said “it’s under control”. I still don’t trust their strategy.

7 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I really can't see 100k per week week at Ashton Gate when you take into account parking, transport, recovery time, registration/recording, social distancing etc.

it's actually 110,000 a week being quoted for Ashton Gate. It sounds a lot but I reckon its doable.

It's 15,000 a day (probably a 12+ hour day?) at a location which can get 27,000 in or out (of the location) in a couple of hours. So I don't think transport and traffic flows are an issue.

Processing for the vaccine is on top of that, but if it's staffed correctly they should be able to get a smooth-ish flow through that part.

I honestly think 1 million a week is optimistic. But if we are talking statistically vulnerable then it should only take 3-5 months to get that category vaccinated and start to easy restrictions.

If we want everyone vaccinated on a mass scale, I think it will take best part of a year, but that’s not necessarily the criteria for easing restrictions, its pressure on the NHS.

Edited by FestivalJamie

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

But then we could argue Pfizer has better efficacy and thus less people need to be vaccinated with Pfizer compared to AstraZeneca to reach “herd immunity”.

To be honest I’m just fed up of them, and I really don’t have much trust in them at all anymore. I just want to know what is realistically achievable rather than ambitious claims which are never delivered on. Yesterday also made me very stressed on 16,000 positive tests and reopening things because Matt Hancock said “it’s under control”. I still don’t trust their strategy.

That’s completely fair enough, it’s the bed they’ve made for themselves. I don’t have faith in them at all but I have faith in the NHS and people within that can roll out vaccinations at a decent/responsible pace.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's actually 110,000 a week being quoted for Ashton Gate. It sounds a lot but I reckon its doable.

It's 15,000 a day (probably a 12+ hour day?) at a location which can get 27,000 in or out (of the location) in a couple of hours. So I don't think transport and traffic flows are an issue.

Processing for the vaccine is on top of that, but if it's staffed correctly they should be able to get a smooth-ish flow through that part.

22 people per minute, with all the associated distancing, recovery times, record keeping and data entry?

All day, without a break for 12 hours solid?

34 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It was submitted for approval after the Pfizer one (by like a week) and the Pfizer one only got approved yesterday or the day before i can't remember, so don't think it's worth worrying about. The data says it's safe and needs 50% plus efficacy to be approved which it meets. No reason to think it won't be fine.

And to be fair the same body doing the approvals probably slows down the second one!

41 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Long COVID I was thinking about, lots can still pick up the virus and it might leave them with a horrible illness for a bit. Plus if the government still have those rules in place then I’ll follow them as we have too. 

True - though could counter that with the fact anybody could pick up any other virus tomorrow and get post viral long term issues

Ah I did think you mean after restrictions were lifted though!

1 hour ago, jparx said:

What’s the latest thought on when that could get approved? JVT was very coy on it this morning but did say he was hopeful before Christmas/NY.

I wonder if the whole dosing error snafu is holding things up a little. As you say, anywhere from in the next couple of weeks to early 2021, it seems.

What I'd read/heard is that it'll likely be the full dose (i.e. less effective) approved first, with further trials required for the half/full. They have suggested any further tests would be much shorter than running a new trial though, as they've already ticked 90% of the boxes, so to speak.