When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 hours ago, TownesMR said:

I've signed up for a vaccine trial in Canada in the chance Glastonbury happens and it's a vaccination requirement rather than a testing requirement. I don't believe my age group (mid 20s) will be vaccinated until after June 2021, so I have to take the chances. It would be a huge bummer to wait years for the festival just to lose my ticket. I'll probably never be able to get tickets again and it's a once in a lifetime trip for me, so I have my fingers crossed.

I would like to wish you all the luck in the world with that. If it does happen next year you really don't want to miss it, it will be incredible! Fingers crossed for you.

7 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

The odd thing about all this is that British scientists have indeed been at the forefront of the fight against this disease. The Oxford vaccine may well still be the one that most of world ends up getting. Not only that, but at the insistence of the developers, it will be made available at an affordable price with the biggest commitment to equitable distribution of all the vaccine candidates so far. The RECOVERY trial has been among the most informative ongoing studies on how we might actually treat those who get sick (the only proven treatments we have came from it and there’s some more in the pipeline...it also ruled out some things as well, saving unnecessary treatment). And analysis of data from the symptom app by KCL has led to the biggest study of the longer term impact of infection, a hugely important factor in what happens once we get the highest risk individuals protected with a vaccine. In comparison to many other jurisdictions, research carried out in the UK was all made publicly available and is an excellent example of open science (a principle that many of us firmly believe in as an essential component of science for the greater good). All things to be proud of, yet for some reason a vaccine developed and made elsewhere is held up as the example..

they were just desperate for a win for political reasons. It's a shame, but that's the government we have.

7 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

The odd thing about all this is that British scientists have indeed been at the forefront of the fight against this disease. The Oxford vaccine may well still be the one that most of world ends up getting. Not only that, but at the insistence of the developers, it will be made available at an affordable price with the biggest commitment to equitable distribution of all the vaccine candidates so far. The RECOVERY trial has been among the most informative ongoing studies on how we might actually treat those who get sick (the only proven treatments we have came from it and there’s some more in the pipeline...it also ruled out some things as well, saving unnecessary treatment). And analysis of data from the symptom app by KCL has led to the biggest study of the longer term impact of infection, a hugely important factor in what happens once we get the highest risk individuals protected with a vaccine. In comparison to many other jurisdictions, research carried out in the UK was all made publicly available and is an excellent example of open science (a principle that many of us firmly believe in as an essential component of science for the greater good). All things to be proud of, yet for some reason a vaccine developed and made elsewhere is held up as the example..

I’m pretty sure that tweet was mainly in jest. Whilst the UK scientific community has done incredible things this year and been at the forefront of the advances the point is our government has a tendency to jump on any feat and claim it as a win for them as well. So when we as Brits see them talking about the achievements we very slightly roll our eyes. 😉

None of that takes anything away from the achievements made by science! 

Edited by Ozanne

So, looks like they've made a decision on GCSEs and A levels, they'll go ahead but students will be given advance notice of what is in the exam and be able to take in exam aids. So, they're happening. I guess want to get away from any teacher bias in assesments.

One thing with my kid though who is doing GCSEs, they really are just learning how best to pass these particular exams from different exam boards, they don't seem to be learning anything actually useful.

28 minutes ago, jparx said:

Looks to me like a Labour coalition govt if the election was tomorrow.

The rainbow government is a pretty cool sounding coalition name. It goes to show the good work by Labour and abysmal handling of 2020 by the Tories to go from an 80 majority to a hung parliament and this is before Brexit.  

28 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Lab/SNP/LD/PC/GRN would just about cobble together a thin majority. You’d probably need to offer electoral reform and a Scottish referendum (and more powers for Wales) to get everyone on board. 

offering a Scottish referendum is ensuring that the SNP and all scottish seats get off-board from that coalition.

Which is why there'll never be that offer for a coalition.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

offering a Scottish referendum is ensuring that the SNP and all scottish seats get off-board from that coalition.

Which is why there'll never be that offer for a coalition.

Confidence and supply would be the route they go down. 

I don't keep up with this thread, just check in every now and again so sorry if this has already been mentioned but Morrisons, Sainsburys and Tesco are all paying back the business rates that had been waved for Covid times. Some companies have taken advantage of this year, they don't deserve the airtime as we know who they are, but it's reassuring that there are also companies like this (and IKEA from memory who I think insisted on paying their staff without using the furlough scheme money) who are doing the right thing when they can.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've text a message through to the BBC in regards to gigs & festivals...

Come on JVT give us some hope!

Probably covers it.....

"England’s deputy chief medical officer says he can’t give an answer as to how many people need to have the vaccine for restrictions to be lifted.

Jonathan Van-Tam says: “I don’t tend to fudge things and I’m not going to pretend I know the answer to that.

“What we want the vaccine to do in the first instance is to stop people dying from Covid 19.”

He says the next focus is to stop people being hospitalised.

If the UK can get to the point when the NHS isn’t under “immense pressure” from the virus and is "managing it in a much more normal way than at present", he says that will give politicians the option to think about what comes next.

He adds that it’s “not his job to give a magic calendar date”.

talking more about when restrictions on people's lives could begin to be lifted, Prof Van-Tam says: "If we get to the point where we are confident vaccines take out illness and asymptomatic transmission that becomes a big game-changer and a big win".

"If we can get the science that says this is happening, we've got vaccines that are really punching above their weight, we can bring restrictions down," he adds.

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

Probably covers it.....

"England’s deputy chief medical officer says he can’t give an answer as to how many people need to have the vaccine for restrictions to be lifted.

Jonathan Van-Tam says: “I don’t tend to fudge things and I’m not going to pretend I know the answer to that.

“What we want the vaccine to do in the first instance is to stop people dying from Covid 19.”

He says the next focus is to stop people being hospitalised.

If the UK can get to the point when the NHS isn’t under “immense pressure” from the virus and is "managing it in a much more normal way than at present", he says that will give politicians the option to think about what comes next.

He adds that it’s “not his job to give a magic calendar date”.

talking more about when restrictions on people's lives could begin to be lifted, Prof Van-Tam says: "If we get to the point where we are confident vaccines take out illness and asymptomatic transmission that becomes a big game-changer and a big win".

"If we can get the science that says this is happening, we've got vaccines that are really punching above their weight, we can bring restrictions down," he adds.

I actually asked in his medical opinion if it was the 6 pints of brothers strawberry & kiwi cider I had before the Hot Chip gig at West holts in 2015 which made me cry or it was in fact just that good a gig it would have happened if I was sober. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2