When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

good news ... hopefully will stay that way ... hopefully will get off the cigarretes seems like one of you is one of the super spreaders ... or you have all been in contact with one 

We think it's the youngest has got it at school, and spread it to the rest of us. he was the first one that was slightly unwell.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Immunity passports really don’t feel like the actions of small government to me. We’ll see, but I’ll be surprised if the Tories go hard on it.

I think it'll be similar to how the discourse is going now - government saying they don't want to do it while simultaneously encouraging businesses to do so

There will be plenty that do it because it's been suggested. But I actually think plenty will not if it isn't made into law. Those businesses will have owners who ask the question "why?" once the NHS isn't in any danger anymore...

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

Immunity passports really don’t feel like the actions of small government to me. We’ll see, but I’ll be surprised if the Tories go hard on it.

I can see them being a prerequisite for any international travel. That's a lot of people.

10 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I can see them being a prerequisite for any international travel. That's a lot of people.

Yeah sure. Just not sure I see our government stipulating on them for entry to bars etc. We’ll see, but it feels far too interventionist for the “use your common sense” Tories. 

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah sure. Just not sure I see our government stipulating on them for entry to bars etc. We’ll see, but it feels far too interventionist for the “use your common sense” Tories. 

That's an angle I hadn't thought of - going from "it's too authoritarian to make people actually quarantine" when there is a deadly disease on the loose, leading to one of the worst death rates in the world, to actually encouraging businesses to implement a very China style system when much of the danger has passed would be a very strange course of action...

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

In that context I'd agree. 

Administrative and logistic nightmare as well, and actually, once the large proportion of the population has been vaccinated, not all that useful. Until then however, they might be your pink pass to a bit of freedom.

Say what you want about the government but make me proud to be a British.. The first country to have vaccine.. And then we'll soon have the Oxford one.. 

That'll start a conversation lol 

Love the Queen love the flag the green fields of England.................. Especially the ones around Pilton... 

40 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I think it's sensible to put a ban on entering countries unless you've had the vaccine and will do away with the (mostly) poorly-managed mandatory isolation after travelling. Unfortunately, with a vaccine not looking likely to arrive in Australia until March, I doubt that I will be a top priority to get a jab, meaning that as the majority celebrate the likelihood of Glastonbury going ahead for them, for many it may not. I was wondering with a friend the other day if a vaccine requirement for entry to a country will have a big impact on the number of world musicians that we are lucky to have on a normal year, or if there will be some sort of working visa exemption. 

15 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Say what you want about the government but make me proud to be a British.. The first country to have vaccine.. And then we'll soon have the Oxford one.. 

Love the Queen love the flag the green fields of England.................. Especially the ones around Pilton... 

I thought Russia won?

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Wouldn't be surprised, especially after the CEO of Quantas basically said as much.

Not as if it would be unusual, plenty countries already mandate vaccinations before entry... ie Yellow Fever 

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

I know what you mean. The vaccine just wouldn't have happened without her hard work

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Tosser! Sharma, I mean (although John Terry is as well, obviously).

Most of the little englanders will also be anti-vaxx, anti-mask, covid doesn't exist types, so probably won't play well with them! 

That’s one thing I’ve noticed, the people that tend to not follow the guidelines and actively hate what the government have brought in have been people that have voted for them. I stick to the guidelines and say to people that we should stick to them yet have never for voted for them 😆

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

The odd thing about all this is that British scientists have indeed been at the forefront of the fight against this disease. The Oxford vaccine may well still be the one that most of world ends up getting. Not only that, but at the insistence of the developers, it will be made available at an affordable price with the biggest commitment to equitable distribution of all the vaccine candidates so far. The RECOVERY trial has been among the most informative ongoing studies on how we might actually treat those who get sick (the only proven treatments we have came from it and there’s some more in the pipeline...it also ruled out some things as well, saving unnecessary treatment). And analysis of data from the symptom app by KCL has led to the biggest study of the longer term impact of infection, a hugely important factor in what happens once we get the highest risk individuals protected with a vaccine. In comparison to many other jurisdictions, research carried out in the UK was all made publicly available and is an excellent example of open science (a principle that many of us firmly believe in as an essential component of science for the greater good). All things to be proud of, yet for some reason a vaccine developed and made elsewhere is held up as the example..

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typos!
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

The odd thing about all this is that British scientists have had indeed been at the forefront of the fight against this disease. The Oxford vaccine may well still be the one that most of world ends up getting. Not only that, but at the insistence of the developers, it will be made available at an affordable price with the biggest commitment to equitable distribution of all the vaccine candidates so far. The RECOVERY trial has been among the most informative ongoing studies on how we might actually treat those who get sick (the only proven treatments we have came from it and there’s some more in the pipeline...it also ruled out some things as well, saving unnecessary treatment). And analysis of data from the symptom app by KCL has led to the biggest study of the longer term impact of infection, a hugely important factor in what happens once we get the highest risk individuals protected with a vaccine. In comparison to many other jurisdictions, research carried out in the UK was all made publicly available and is an excellent example of open science (a principle that many of us firmly believe in as an essential component of science for the greater good). All things to be proud of, yet for some reason a vaccine developed and made elsewhere is held up as the example..

Tbf I think Britain Science has a lot to be proud of during the pandemic separate from the govt. And I think when they found that drug treatment a few months ago they got a lot of credit!

What's your current feeling on Glastonbury happening next year out of curiosity? More or less confident?

28 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Tbf I think Britain Science has a lot to be proud of during the pandemic separate from the govt. And I think when they found that drug treatment a few months ago they got a lot of credit!

What's your current feeling on Glastonbury happening next year out of curiosity? More or less confident?

Well, I’ve always been confident, but more so now that there are working vaccines. A combination of either a vaccine cert or a repeat, recent negative test should be good enough (and may not even be required). What happens around the end of phase 1 of the vaccination programme will tell us what we need to know. If hospitalisations and deaths plummet (and I think they probably will), then I’d expect things to move back to mostly open pretty quickly (if you want to be super safe, you’d use the measures above for potential super-spreading events like mass gatherings, but if there is little in the way of morbidity and mortality, then maybe not required. If we tested for everything else, you’d probably be horrified at the number of people walking around infected with something!).  I think it’ll take til Autumn to get enough of the population vaccinated to avert a more difficult winter (nothing like this one though)...but after 2 or three waves you’d expect some seasonality in transmission to start to become apparent anyway (there’s signs of this emerging now and I suspect this will stay with us and settle into a seasonal pattern), coupled with vaccine protection for the vulnerable, I think summer will be pretty standard to be honest (the caveat always being that if long COVID and other organ damage etc are more widespread than we think they are, then we really do need to find ways of protecting those deemed less vulnerable...my gut feeling on long COVID is that it about as prevalent as post-viral syndromes are for other viruses, we’ve just had lots of people infected with a virus this year). 

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typos!

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Although it has been mentioned, the thing that doesn't seem to be talked about enough is how fast is going to be to vaccine the part of the population who account for most serious illness/death. Once the older people (of whom there are fewer) are vaccinated, we're going to see a rapid dropoff in deaths. It really will be quite dramatic.

Edited by stuartbert two hats