When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

I read on Twitter (Northern Irish journalist) that immunity doesn't occur until around 4 weeks after your second jab... is that correct?

In that case it would be probably 8 weeks from today before anyone actually becomes immune.

I'm no expert, but seen things saying 2 weeks after or so.

But I think some sort of level of protection occurs from the very first jab.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

oh, thats fine basically

Q: How long does the vaccine take to work?

Pirmohamed says the vaccine will be effective seven days after the second dose has been administered. But there is some protection from 12 days after the first dose.

Edited by zahidf

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

NI Health Minister saying he doesn't expect the majority of people here to be vaccinated until the summer.

Alternatively, he expects the majority of us to be vaccinated by the summer/end of summer.

That timetable sounds about right. 

Do we need mass vaccination for the festival to go ahead though? At what point does this become less of a threat than the flu?

Surely there is a threshold we cross where the most vulnerable have been vaccinated and it becomes nothing to write home about.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Do we need mass vaccination for the festival to go ahead though? At what point does this become less of a threat than the flu?

Surely there is a threshold we cross where the most vulnerable have been vaccinated and it becomes nothing to write home about.

Will have to see the situation with Oxford i reckon. If that's approved....

Just now, Matt42 said:

I don’t think we do, with the first phase of vaccination completes by then and improved testing that should enable events like festivals to go ahead. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

That's what I think aye- surely that level is somewhere around the number that are given flu vaccines? And we achieve good numbers (is it 15million) in that every winter over the course of a couple months.

Just need the Oxford vaccine approved now!

Working on the theory the Oxford vaccine gets approved.

I suppose it then comes down to how quickly we can get it out.

Let's say it gets approval within the next 2 weeks and can be rolled out as of 21st Dec. How many doses can be administered in the next 3 months or so?

Are we thinking around the 14 million mark (using the normal flu vaccine as a guide) or more?

Anyone care to estimate how many people will be vaccinated by the time we have to pay our balances for the festival? Early April?

You don’t need everyone vaccinated for the festival to go ahead. Mass testing will enable a quick turnaround of test results thus enabling any festival to go ahead. Vaccines are very welcome but they aren’t the only factor that will ensure events go ahead next summer.

By April we should have the bulk of the vulnerable vaccinated, testing will be improved and we’ll be in a very good position for the festival. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Working on the theory the Oxford vaccine gets approved.

I suppose it then comes down to how quickly we can get it out.

Let's say it gets approval within the next 2 weeks and can be rolled out as of 21st Dec. How many doses can be administered in the next 3 months or so?

Are we thinking around the 14 million mark (using the normal flu vaccine as a guide) or more?

Anyone care to estimate how many people will be vaccinated by the time we have to pay our balances for the festival? Early April?

I don't think it matters - they'll know how its going logistically and how many will be vaccinated by June. The biggest points of failure will probably be at the start- it'll be a well oiled machine by March 

And this is all assuming we have to show vaccine proof or everyone has to have it by the time festivals are allowed, which isn't guaranteed 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You don’t need everyone vaccinated for the festival to go ahead. Mass testing will enable a quick turnaround of test results thus enabling any festival to go ahead. Vaccines are very welcome but they aren’t the only factor that will ensure events go ahead next summer.

By April we should have the bulk of the vulnerable vaccinated, testing will be improved and we’ll be in a very good position for the festival. 

I hope so, but I do wonder if much attention will be paid to mass testing anymore once the vaccine roll-out starts. Especially if they end up using some of the test centre infrastructure/staff for vaccinations instead.

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Interestingly though, these vaccines have only been tested on healthy candidates, and not those who were previously infected. 

Actually, in the Lancet paper describing the results of the first Oxford vaccine trial, there were individuals (I think about 4%) that had anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies at baseline (before they were vaccinated), the assumption being they had a previous asymptomatic infection. The vaccine boosted their antibody levels (though I think it didn't impact on their T-Cell response, which was already robust). There was only a handful of individuals like this on the trial that actually got the vaccine, so it's not definitive and they haven't specifically recruited participants that were previously infected in their phase 3 (in fact it's one of the exclusion criteria), but there's early indications that it will top up the natural immune response. 

• Upvote 1