When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Capitalism will make sure people are vaccinated

At the weekend Nadhim Zahawi, a business minister, was put in charge of the vaccine rollout. He is now a minister jointly serving the business and health departments.

In his first interview in his new role, Zahawi told the World at One that the government was looking at the idea of issuing people with “immunity passports”. But he said that he thought it would be service providers, not the government, that ended up asking for these. He told the programme:

We are looking at the technology. And, of course, a way of people being able to inform their GP that they have been vaccinated.

But, also, I think you’ll probably find that restaurants and bars and cinemas and other venues, sports venues, will probably also use that system - as they have done with the app.

I think that in many ways the pressure will come from both ways, from service providers who’ll say ‘look, demonstrate to us that you have been vaccinated’.

But, also, we will make the technology as easy and accessible as possible.

Asked if that meant people without a vaccine might be limited in what they could do, he replied:

I think people have to make a decision. But, I think you’ll probably find many service providers will want to engage with this in the way they did with the app.

Zahawi also confirmed that the government would not make having the vaccine compulsory.

1 hour ago, Mellotr0n said:

Surprised by this - last I heard was first vaccine deliveries are expected between 7th-9th December, so not sure how they can vaccinate without having the vaccines?

Unless I have misheard. 

That's just the typical anti government, anti British attitude I'd expect in a place like this. I suppose you think test and trace and the tier system is going badly too! You just have to believe!

1 hour ago, swede said:

Does anyone know what the infection rate per 100000 has to drop to to even be considered for Tier 1, the government have conveniently removed any information on this from their websites 

It's looking like Liverpool will be under a rate of 100 when it enters tier 2.

Cornwall and the Isle of Wight look like they will be under 50 entering tier 1.

So take that as a rough guide, it also depends on factors like hospital capacity.

Edited by Leyrulion

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think the point is that if it's longer than it was then it's not a so-called firebreak - it's a lockdown. One of the defining characteristics of a firebreak is that it's shorter than a lockdown. So on that basis it didn't work.

Interesting, I always took it as read that a "firebreak" is a type of lockdown, just one that's designed to be short in order to address an immediate issue with hospital capacity or such.

The Liberal Democrats have announced that they will not support the government’s new coronavirus tier system in a Commons vote on Tuesday, with the party’s leader, Sir Ed Davey, calling it “arbitrary, confused and chaotic”.

In the letter, Davey wrote:

As it stands, we cannot in all conscience vote for this unsafe plan. The government has failed once again to put together a plan to bring the virus under control and keep people safe.

The new tier system is arbitrary, confused and chaotic and the government has failed yet again to deliver the test, trace and isolate strategy to beat this virus and end this pandemic.

The UK budget airline EasyJet says it plans to offer passengers discounted tests to try to encourage more travel, Reuters reports.

Travel rules in England will change from 15 December so that if a traveller receives a negative test result from a self-funded test, they can reduce their quarantine from 14 to 5 days.

Desperate to stimulate the travel market after months of restrictions, airlines and airports are teaming up with testing firms to make it easier and cheaper to get a test.

EasyJet, whose finances have come under severe pressure during the pandemic, said that passengers will receive a reduced rate of £75 per home test with Confirm Testing or with CityDoc, £100 per home test or £150 pounds per in clinic test.

The £75 rate is cheaper than the £85 rate available to Wizz Air passengers. Both are more expensive than Gatwick Airport’s offer of £60 per test for passengers who use its drive-through testing facility.

EasyJet said that the two companies it was working with aimed to provide results within 48 hours.

There is also demand for tests prior to travel as some popular destinations like Spain and Italy require passengers to show a negative test on arrival.

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

My area now 55 cases per 100,000 .... its low but nothing like the levels of the Summer when we were 0-2 per 100,000 I think we might drop to Tier 1 but dont want the cases to rise .... which is basically what tier 1 allows .... 

Tier 1 is the old tier 2 which seems to hold rates steady right?

2 more weeks if tier 2 and you'll be down to the tens and then able to hold it there until a vaccine arrives.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Tier 1 is the old tier 2 which seems to hold rates steady right?

2 more weeks if tier 2 and you'll be down to the tens and then able to hold it there until a vaccine arrives.

yep of course it is  I was forgetting that ..... will have to see how much damage winter does ... 

Tier 2 wasn’t successful and saw plenty of areas with rising case numbers. Which is what I can see happening especially with Christmas relaxations. Also let’s not forget a vaccine arriving isn’t going to be a quick thing, it’ll take time. In theory areas will be yo-yoing between tiers through the winter so I can’t see many staying steady with case numbers. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Tier 2 wasn’t successful and saw plenty of areas with rising case numbers. Which is what I can see happening especially with Christmas relaxations. Also let’s not forget a vaccine arriving isn’t going to be a quick thing, it’ll take time. In theory areas will be yo-yoing between tiers through the winter so I can’t see many staying steady with case numbers. 

An absolute shitshow for businesses trying to navigate their way through this period.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The old tier 2 was no mixing households anywhere, which is now tier 1. You're right that didn't really work to lower rates.

The old tier 3 restriction of only booze with food is now in tier 2 and that seemed to work in Liverpool and Manchester.

I think that's the way round it is? It's so hard to keep track!

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The old tier 2 was no mixing households anywhere, which is now tier 1. You're right that didn't really work to lower rates.

The old tier 3 restriction of only booze with food is now in tier 2 and that seemed to work in Liverpool and Manchester.

I'm actually surprised they didn't say that over Christmas households could only mix in pubs or restaurants. It would have given them the much needed economic boost and the hygiene measures would be better in pubs and restaurants and there'd be less chance of people doing the things they shouldn't in public places 

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

An absolute shitshow for businesses trying to navigate their way through this period.

I agree, but we are in a pandemic and measures do need to be taken to mitigate the spread of the virus. It’s very tough but this is the approach the government are taking so some areas will see movement through the winter. 

9 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Pretty much. That’s why it’s so delicate, they can release some areas into the new tier 1 (old tier 2) to give people more freedoms but then as we’ve seen it’s not good to mitigate the virus spread and as such cases will rise (depending on population density etc) so will then need to go back up a tier.