When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was just wondering if he has a decent record on anything !!! 

I've been trying to remember if there's any awfulness in his past and nothings jumping out at me. Doesn't mean it isn't there, there's just so much awfulness it's hard to keep track. 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was told by a friend today that diabetes has moved up the classification groups ... has anyone seen any new lists or an updated version ? 

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/coronavirus

According to this diabetes makes you vulnerable but not extremely vulnerable. Of course some diabetes patients will be extremely vulnerable due to other conditions, but that’s for the individuals and their GP to discuss. As far as I know the advice for vulnerable people is to follow the usual rules plus be a bit more careful, whereas if you’re extremely vulnerable (formerly shielding) then the advice is more stringent such as only working if you can do so from home. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/coronavirus

According to this diabetes makes you vulnerable but not extremely vulnerable. Of course some diabetes patients will be extremely vulnerable due to other conditions, but that’s for the individuals and their GP to discuss. As far as I know the advice for vulnerable people is to follow the usual rules plus be a bit more careful, whereas if you’re extremely vulnerable (formerly shielding) then the advice is more stringent such as only working if you can do so from home. 

yep there has been something very recently ... like today,  I will try google in a bit I think my friend said it was in the Times maybe ?

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Daily Fail also reporting it, emphasis on people being overweight being deemed high risk too - as you can imagine the comments are the usual pits

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8994363/Severely-obese-people-Covid-vaccine-elderly-Brits.html

2 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Daily Fail also reporting it, emphasis on people being overweight being deemed high risk too - as you can imagine the comments are the usual pits

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8994363/Severely-obese-people-Covid-vaccine-elderly-Brits.html

theres a reason Ive started Christmas Early :) thanks 

55 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I've been trying to remember if there's any awfulness in his past and nothings jumping out at me. Doesn't mean it isn't there, there's just so much awfulness it's hard to keep track. 

Just had a read of his wikipedia page and there are a few things that stand out. 

In the expenses scandal he had to apologise as he'd claimed electricity for his stables and riding school. He's been accused of not always declaring all his interests to parliament. There are also been accusations that he avoided paying stamp duty on a property he bought, though he denies them.

He was involved in the initial share price for Royal Mail and his defence of that is laughably bad:

Shares quickly rose to £5 following flotation at £3.30 and the Financial Times claimed that two investment banks had warned that it was underpriced.[12] However Zahawi said the government had got its sums right and had to be sure that the remaining 40% of shares could be sold above the flotation price in future. When it was put to him that he might consider selling 60% of shareholdings in his own companies at a large discount, so that he could later sell the other 40% at the market rate, he replied "I'm afraid that this method only works when disposing of public assets. It would be ridiculous to expect any individual, no matter how outrageously wealthy they are, to suffer such a loss"

On the plus side he co founded YouGov which is a pretty successful company and suggests he's somewhat competent. 

3 hours ago, Steveb72 said:

Tim Martin is just a Wurzel Gummidge looking twat that has destroyed all the small independent local pubs whilst serving cold beans.

Please do not insult Worzel like that.

48 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Just had a read of his wikipedia page and there are a few things that stand out. 

In the expenses scandal he had to apologise as he'd claimed electricity for his stables and riding school. He's been accused of not always declaring all his interests to parliament. There are also been accusations that he avoided paying stamp duty on a property he bought, though he denies them.

He was involved in the initial share price for Royal Mail and his defence of that is laughably bad:

Shares quickly rose to £5 following flotation at £3.30 and the Financial Times claimed that two investment banks had warned that it was underpriced.[12] However Zahawi said the government had got its sums right and had to be sure that the remaining 40% of shares could be sold above the flotation price in future. When it was put to him that he might consider selling 60% of shareholdings in his own companies at a large discount, so that he could later sell the other 40% at the market rate, he replied "I'm afraid that this method only works when disposing of public assets. It would be ridiculous to expect any individual, no matter how outrageously wealthy they are, to suffer such a loss"

On the plus side he co founded YouGov which is a pretty successful company and suggests he's somewhat competent. 

Not great, but if that's it, then compared to the current shower we having running this shit show... 

I think there could be undue pressure to allow it through despite the inconsistencies. If they need to do trials again then thats what should happen. If it means opening up after those who would need hospitalization have been vaccinated then fine. It needs to be right, not just approved out of necessity.

And this quote:

"but how long might it provide protection? And how good will a vaccine be at preventing virus transmission, and how well will it work in higher-risk groups, such as the elderly? How easy will it be to administer and transport? It will take months if not years to answer all these questions for each vaccine"

...could be said about long term safety too but we forget this when attacking "anti vaxxers"  

Edited by efcfanwirral

25 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think there could be undue pressure to allow it through despite the inconsistencies. If they need to do trials again then thats what should happen. If it means opening up after those who would need hospitalization have been vaccinated then fine. It needs to be right, not just approved out of necessity.

And this quote:

"but how long might it provide protection? And how good will a vaccine be at preventing virus transmission, and how well will it work in higher-risk groups, such as the elderly? How easy will it be to administer and transport? It will take months if not years to answer all these questions for each vaccine"

...could be said about long term safety too but we forget this when attacking "anti vaxxers"  

"It" being the AZ vaccine at half/full dose? Or a vaccine in general?

40 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

"It" being the AZ vaccine at half/full dose? Or a vaccine in general?

The oxford one - if it needs doing  again it should happen, regardless of how much we need it

I do think there is a worry over long term effects of these vaccines but I'll take one because I want to do stuff despite the risks. Id rather that risk was my own (much rather my immune system gets a shot at the virus personally) but I know its putting other people at risk by not taking the vaccine

That said if it wasnt for my girlfriend wanting to do stuff I'd probably not take it and just stay locked down 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

The oxford one - if it needs doing  again it should happen, regardless of how much we need it

I do think there is a worry over long term effects of these vaccines but I'll take one because I want to do stuff despite the risks. Id rather that risk was my own (much rather my immune system gets a shot at the virus personally) but I know its putting other people at risk by not taking the vaccine

That said if it wasnt for my girlfriend wanting to do stuff I'd probably not take it and just stay locked down 

Won't need to be done again. The two doses has enough effacy to be used.

Another hypothetical, @Toilet Duck, if you were being offered the Oxford vaccine tomorrow and you could decide on your own dosing regime, what would you have for shot one - half or full? Would you go for the dose with more data or the dose that shows the most potential of giving really good protection?

Edit: and would this change if you were 70+?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Another hypothetical, @Toilet Duck, if you were being offered the Oxford vaccine tomorrow and you could decide on your own dosing regime, what would you have for shot one - half or full? Would you go for the dose with more data or the dose that shows the most potential of giving really good protection?

Edit: and would this change if you were 70+?

Howdy, I’d have the half dose followed by the full dose! But, I’m in my 40s...so in the age range that it was tested on with that dosing regimen. If I was over 70, I’d be looking for the Pfizer one! (If I had no option, I’d probably go with the full dose as this would be the only regimen that was tested in people my age).