When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Rates are falling like a stone at the moment and more than likely at least another week of falls to go. 

F144C7F6-966D-485F-BF6F-A048B4AC6ADD.jpeg

It's so good to see those drops after months of going up!! let's hope we get tier 2 on 16th so some of hospitality can try and get their livelihoods back 

25 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Rates are falling like a stone at the moment and more than likely at least another week of falls to go. 

F144C7F6-966D-485F-BF6F-A048B4AC6ADD.jpeg

These figures are meaningless without knowing the number of tests carried out. If they have reduced the testing capacity or if fewer people are presenting for tests then the figures will drop whatever the actual case rate in the area. For example if the case rate was the same this week as last week and they did 33% fewer tests then the "infection rate" as shown above would be down 33% even though the number of people infected in the area was the same. I'm not saying this is what has happened just showing how these figures are not to be relied upon.

20 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

These figures are meaningless without knowing the number of tests carried out. If they have reduced the testing capacity or if fewer people are presenting for tests then the figures will drop whatever the actual case rate in the area. For example if the case rate was the same this week as last week and they did 33% fewer tests then the "infection rate" as shown above would be down 33% even though the number of people infected in the area was the same. I'm not saying this is what has happened just showing how these figures are not to be relied upon.

The 7 day averaging irons out a lot of the inconsistency in testing amounts enabling comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The 7 day averaging irons out a lot of the inconsistency in testing amounts enabling comparison. 

You're assuming the testing regime is pretty much the same, what if they reduced the testing centres from 4 to 2 in order to prioritise another area?, they don't publish local testing numbers so you can't compare them week to week.

27 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

You're assuming the testing regime is pretty much the same, what if they reduced the testing centres from 4 to 2 in order to prioritise another area?, they don't publish local testing numbers so you can't compare them week to week.

There's no evidence for reduction in testing sites.

I'm fact the opposite could be seen with almost every university opening up a testing centre and more community testing coming onboard.

You are right though that local testing figures aren't easily available which don't allow an accurate estimation of community testing rates one way or another.

Edited by Leyrulion

44 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

• End of day these figs are what the Gov uses to set the tiers, so if they are going down I'm happy with that..
  • R number for the North West is lowest in country
  • Hospital admissions are still high but we are seeing the start of these dropping, problem is Gov now uses projections on hospital data whereas all the other parts are actuals - this is the one area that then can manipulate to suit (I think this has been brought up earlier in the thread)
  • We have always had Covid in the NW it never went away, so naturally when everything started opening up it was always going to spread again which is why we've been in restrictions since 31st July. Lots of DC and factories round here, more essential jobs, lesser wages = more shared housing and use of public transport.
  • Eat out to spread had saw more people working, so spreading further
  • The killer blows were the schools and universities which launched our numbers through the roof!! Whilst there was some rule breaks most folk have adhered and there is certainly a sense it's been so long we've just got used to it (even if not happy about it)

So I'm glad we are finally seeing some difference and all those f**kers who think we deserve this cos we always broke the rules can bog off as I'm sick of seeing that all over social media and it's not what has happened (this is not directed at you personally btw)

While we're at it the Gov can f**k off too making out we're not making a difference and naughty for not adhering to the rules!!

Yes, I'm going to breathe now :( 

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Upvote 1

We have all been given lateral flow test kits at work (east london nhs), idea is to test twice a week and upload the results. We get 3months supply of the swabs.

Very easy to use, stick a kit in with everyone's ticket covered by the ticket holder.

Edited by Earth_pig

6 hours ago, gizmoman said:

A few weeks ago you were saying that they could be exaggerating the severity of this,  now your saying they could be exaggerating the decline. 

Is it possible you are just paranoid?

11 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely unless we're going for zero covid that even some these being used is better than none? Ideally we'd have the proper tests but that's just not realistic, there isnt enough capacity. 

We can talk about risky behaviour in false negatives all we want but that's forgetting that a huge amount of the country is just carrying on as normal anyway.

Even finding 50% of additional cases is better than finding 0% if these tests are withdrawn. In liverpool they were used on people without symptoms who got tested because they were told to - so any being found is a bonus right? 

Wow, - I'm tired of hearing local MPs are pissed off that there area is in a higher tier, I want every tier 3 lace to get the right support. But the fact they used Kent as an example of a place that should not be in Tier 3, because it's highest country is 500 + cases per 100,000 and its lowest place is 100 per 100,000. Why has everyone forgot that originally places like Bolton at like 20 per 100,000 were being put in tier 2 adjacent conditions in august and September. Now anything below 180 seems like a low case rate for some reason?

It's just so counter intuitive for people to forget this and fight for their local areas to be in lower tiers because the majority of places in the country would have been in strict measures on these numbers before the cases numbers got so bad and the second spike. Just because comparatively you're local area is doing well, doesn't mean it's doing well, in fact I fail to see why anything above 20 per 100,000 thousand is well, when that what the threshold was in august. 

3 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Wow, - I'm tired of hearing local MPs are pissed off that there area is in a higher tier, I want every tier 3 lace to get the right support. But the fact they used Kent as an example of a place that should not be in Tier 3, because it's highest country is 500 + cases per 100,000 and its lowest place is 100 per 100,000. Why has everyone forgot that originally places like Bolton at like 20 per 100,000 were being put in tier 2 adjacent conditions in august and September. Now anything below 180 seems like a low case rate for some reason?

It's just so counter intuitive for people to forget this and fight for their local areas to be in lower tiers because the majority of places in the country would have been in strict measures on these numbers before the cases numbers got so bad and the second spike. Just because comparatively you're local area is doing well, doesn't mean it's doing well, in fact I fail to see why anything above 20 per 100,000 thousand is well, when that what the threshold was in august. 

If it wasn't for political reasons and the promise of lifting on December 2nd/Tories willing to vote against measures the whole country would be in a national lockdown for at least 2 more weeks. 

I'm glad theyve found a way to mainly keep it going. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If it wasn't for political reasons and the promise of lifting on December 2nd/Tories willing to vote against measures the whole country would be in a national lockdown for at least 2 more weeks. 

I'm glad theyve found a way to mainly keep it going. 

yeah im optimistic about the tiers working, especially now they've been made stricter. 

Hoping it won't all be in vain for christmas though. 

Far be it for me to support Johnson*, but they have to put the boundary lines somewhere - and if they did, people would complain again.

*I saw the fat bastard on the news yesterday referring to 'a so-called Australian deal' - I really wanted the interviewer to reply 'IT'S NOT 'SO-CALLED' IS IT THOUGH, IT'S JUST YOU AND GOVE WHO CALL IT THAT!!!'.  Sadly, they didn't.

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

Far be it for me to support Johnson*, but they have to put the boundary lines somewhere - and if they did, people would complain again.

*I saw the fat bastard on the news yesterday referring to 'a so-called Australian deal' - I really wanted the interviewer to reply 'IT'S NOT 'SO-CALLED' IS IT THOUGH, IT'S JUST YOU AND GOVE WHO CALL IT THAT!!!'.  Sadly, they didn't.

Boris Johnson threatens EU with no deal.....if EU don't give UK no deal, is basically what that rubbish was about.

13 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I realised recently that 9 times out of 10 when a big name goes into administration all that really happens is the owner changes. The workers are usually fine. 

this was the argument against people saying you shouldn't boycott spoons because it will go bankrupt.

The problem with the Wetherspoon’s boycott was that most of the people who said that they’ll never go to ‘Spoons ever again, never went much in the first place.

7 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

The problem with the Wetherspoon’s boycott was that most of the people who said that they’ll never go to ‘Spoons ever again, never went much in the first place.

I used to go every Sunday ... not been to one since feb  ....Its going to be hard though when things return to normal as my friends like it for its cheapness ... and theres not so much left in terms of reasonably busy pubs ( I like to look about :) ) in my town now as many have closed over the years ... and probably many more will as a result of Covid 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I used to go every Sunday ... not been to one since feb  ....Its going to be hard though when things return to normal as my friends like it for its cheapness ... and theres not so much left in terms of reasonably busy pubs ( I like to look about :) ) in my town now as many have closed over the years ... and probably many more will as a result of Covid 

Plus there are still innocent people that work there too, they’ll lose their jobs if everyone stops going. It’s a tough one. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

Plus there are still innocent people that work there too, they’ll lose their jobs if everyone stops going. It’s a tough one. 

I hope  that those jobs would still exist but in different pubs that arent run by such a twat ..... Wetherspoons has been part of the reason for the smaller pubs being destroyed and dissapearing .... Im aware thats how we roll in this country though so its just a factor of changing times ... but it doesnt stop me hating Tim Wetherspoon though