When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Funny how it always drops on time when the figures are good, probs a coincidence, bu curious nonetheless. 

These numbers are good, still doesn't seem low enough to come out of lockdown but that ship has sailed. leas we're consistently below 20,000 cases. 

My thoughts are with the families of those affected, when do we think death rates will start coming down considering the lag?

It really doesn’t seem low enough does it, I guess we’ll see in 2 weeks how that goes.

52 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Had my weekly online meeting with one of my new PhD students this morning...normally I'd get to know them a bit better as my office is right beside the lab, but this unending working from home means that now, I generally just get to talk about their project with them and don't get much chance for chit chat. Anyway, I knew he was English, but didn't really know from where (he did his undergrad at Queens in Belfast, so his address on his CV was in Belfast). He was chatting to the other Phd students and postdocs in the lab and they informed him that I went to Glastonbury every year...He gleefully informed me this morning that he's from West Pennard!...right on the A361 and I've probably driven by his house on the way to the festival every time I go! (He too goes every year). Bloody small world...anyway, I don't know what that has to do with anything, but not that many other people I know would be interested! Had a great chat about the whole area and all the lovely places that surround the farm...Really need to get back there now!

It’s great suddenly and unexpectedly meeting and engaging with someone from the Pilton area and chatting about everything to do with the festival and its environs. I’ve done it a few times, keeping the parking pass stuck on my windscreen helps!  I  did once meet someone grumpy from Shepton Mallet who didn’t like the festival who was on holiday in our town. Festival chat really gets the Adrenalin pumping! 

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s great suddenly and unexpectedly meeting and engaging with someone from the Pilton area and chatting about everything to do with the festival and its environs. I’ve done it a few times, keeping the parking pass stuck on my windscreen helps!  I  did once meet someone grumpy from Shepton Mallet who didn’t like the festival who was on holiday in our town. Festival chat really gets the Adrenalin pumping! 

will be Glad when the masks go and I can annoy everyone with Glastonbury chat once again .... we have many new recruits who are yet to find out my love of the festival ..im not sure they will like it but I will be telling them anyway   :) 

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It really is! Indeed, whenever I run into anyone that goes to the festival, there’s this immediate connection. I must take the family back to the area when the festival isn’t on to explore a bit more, it’s such a beautiful part of the world. 

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

Ridiculous

Drinkers visiting pubs in England’s Tier 2 regions will have to leave the premises once they have finished their food.

Under the new post-lockdown guidance, pubs in Tier 2 areas can only stay open if they can function as a restaurant and alcohol can only be served with a substantial meal.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman, asked how long drinkers can stay in the pub after purchasing a substantial meal, said: “We’ve been clear that, in Tier 2 I believe, that you need to have a substantial meal if ordering any alcohol and it remains the case that the guidance says that once the meal is finished, it is at that point.”

good job I'm a slow eater :)

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

And no offence intended. Plenty funny decent folk from the south and plenty dickheads in the north but you know, it’s a different thing being from the north. Its correlations. You walk into a pub in the north there is a higher chance you’ll meet sound people than in the south. Besides its in the genes, its in the language, its in the soul. It’s been that way for millenia. More celts and vikings than saxons and french. We are the people who eked out an existence from the peripheral hinterlands of the old world. Its a little bit wilder. And when a people have been oppressed and othered for as long as the north has, there comes an identity, defiance and pride. The NWRA!

north full of brexit voting c**ts, as is the south.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, zahidf said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/27/hospitals-england-told-prepare-early-december-covid-vaccine-rollout-nhs

Hospitals have been told to prepare for the rollout of a coronavirus vaccine in as little as 10 days’ time, with NHS workers expected to be at the front of the queue, the Guardian has learned

Just read that myself and came to post it! Great stuff.

Hope they get the first vaccination live on the news 😃

Edited by jparx

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Will these covid vaccines cure the common cold?

Had an interesting conversation about that, but kind of back to front.

My brother in law is a senior GP in Cornwall and does kind of have his finger on the pulse as it were. He said that it has been considered that the reason that some people seemed to be immune from covid or were asymptomatic/had v mild symptoms could be because they had some partial immunity due to having had a version of the common cold that was in some respects similar to the Covid virus. If that's the case maybe the Covid vaccination could offer some level of protection against some strains of the common cold?

I'm neither clever enough nor educated enough to be able to give an informed opinion on this. Could be a nice Brucie Bonus though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

The definition of bittersweet: 13,000 employees of Arcadia face job losses / Sir Philip Green loses his business. 

Unfortunately, that rancid c**t will probably still be a billionaire, while his employees end up in poverty!

that bugger has asset stripped Arcadia for years!! of course he'll walk away scot free like he did when he destroyed BHS :( 

I would not be surprised if Boohoo looks to buy Topshop brand though and maybe one of the others

25 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

that bugger has asset stripped Arcadia for years!! of course he'll walk away scot free like he did when he destroyed BHS :( 

I would not be surprised if Boohoo looks to buy Topshop brand though and maybe one of the others

Absolutely. Let's hope all his employees find alternative employment, whilst his yacht sinks with him on it! 😄

21 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Absolutely. Let's hope all his employees find alternative employment, whilst his yacht sinks with him on it! 😄

I realised recently that 9 times out of 10 when a big name goes into administration all that really happens is the owner changes. The workers are usually fine. 

this was the argument against people saying you shouldn't boycott spoons because it will go bankrupt.

Surely unless we're going for zero covid that even some these being used is better than none? Ideally we'd have the proper tests but that's just not realistic, there isnt enough capacity. 

We can talk about risky behaviour in false negatives all we want but that's forgetting that a huge amount of the country is just carrying on as normal anyway.

Even finding 50% of additional cases is better than finding 0% if these tests are withdrawn. In liverpool they were used on people without symptoms who got tested because they were told to - so any being found is a bonus right?