When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

Are people really going to go all the way down to Cornwall just because they can go for a pint there?

People are desperate to get away, even in Cumbria in winter. I had to pop into work today to print something so thought I'd have a look at the booking system. Loads of bookings have come in in the last few days for December. A couple of big spa hotels I know of are already full for the first weekend after lock down ends 

48 minutes ago, zahidf said:

In my local

IMG-20201126-WA0014.jpg

These rules have less restrictions then did when Jersey in the channel Islands did something similar. They only allowed places serving food to open but didn't specify customers had to have a meal at all times, just the option.

So all the fancy bars opened and just set up a BBQ at the side and brought free burgers round every couple of hours. Was the dream.

6 minutes ago, duke88 said:

That’s not going to be allowed once the authorities find out!

if they add chips it's probably quite legal tbh

I'm spilt about this as I know I haven't went anywhere socially since March, but I can understand if a business is like on the bring of closure of course they are going to do stuff like this.

Only 1% of country can open bars fully, 50 odd % can open if have food but if not you are closed which is a lot of bloody businesses going down the pan at a time of year when they make the most money..

I feel for them I really do, they can still set "covid secure" measures and given so much else is open and quite frankly a lot more busy i can see why they do it :( 

34 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Thanks! Did I hear right when one of the scientists involved in an interview said even among those who still contracted COVID, none required hospitalisation? (I’m not sure if i misheard it as no article seems to have given this much attention)- So even if it’s only 60%, that’s not so important if it prevents severity of illness?

I definitely heard that interview too. Although I'm not sure how many over 60's / vulnerable people were involved in the trials?

I am a bit more concerned about the public’s behaviour during Hogmanay rather than Xmas . Especially up here.  There’s a lot more chance of drunken house parties at that time compared with the family gatherings at Xmas. I so hope common sense prevails, it’s a small price to pay so we can have a return to normality in spring. For me it will be the usual Jools on the box and maybe some Glasto highlights .  And then, please please, a real happy new year will follow! 

7 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I definitely heard that interview too. Although I'm not sure how many over 60's / vulnerable people were involved in the trials?

They had a good level of older participants in their various trials, just unfortunately didn’t have any in the trial that showed 90% efficacy! So, at the moment, best they can say is 60%+ in older adults with the full two doses, with maybe more to come when they test the reduced dose in them.

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typo!

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I am a bit more concerned about the public’s behaviour during Hogmanay rather than Xmas . Especially up here.  There’s a lot more chance of drunken house parties at that time compared with the family gatherings at Xmas. I so hope common sense prevails, it’s a small price to pay so we can have a return to normality in spring. For me it will be the usual Jools on the box and maybe some Glasto highlights .  And then, please please, a real happy new year will follow! 

I will be spending hogmanay as I always do - listen to my top 10 albums of the year, watch the fireworks at 12, take down my xmas decorations & then bed. For someone of Scottish heritage, I definitely don't love hogmanay at all!

24 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

These rules have less restrictions then did when Jersey in the channel Islands did something similar. They only allowed places serving food to open but didn't specify customers had to have a meal at all times, just the option.

So all the fancy bars opened and just set up a BBQ at the side and brought free burgers round every couple of hours. Was the dream.

I think you have to have being eating to have a beer, you can’t order a pasty and then sit there for three hours drinking beers.

13 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I am a bit more concerned about the public’s behaviour during Hogmanay rather than Xmas

The fact that you need two bank holidays to get over a night of drinking rather than the single bank holiday we get south of the border says a lot about the Scots ability to process alcohol 😉

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Thanks! Did I hear right when one of the scientists involved in an interview said even among those who still contracted COVID, none required hospitalisation? (I’m not sure if i misheard it as no article seems to have given this much attention)- So even if it’s only 60%, that’s not so important if it prevents severity of illness?

I'm pretty sure they're saying zero cases of severe disease in the vaccine group.

21 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I was just thinking this the other day, will there be a Jools though as it's a bit of a busy piss up with loads of singing so will be interesting that if they do it what it will actually look like :( 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Good old Jezza. It's all about him.

I was singing his name in 2017 along with everyone else, but he's pissing me right off now, the prick. Remember, this is the guy who wouldn't let the Tories be removed because he wanted to be Pwime Ministwer! "I have to be in charge. ME!"

Fuck off Jezza.

Oh yeah, and fuck off Starmer for not giving him the whip back when he was readmitted to the party. They can all fuck right off, thousands are dying every day due to our stupid government denying reality about lockdown AGAIN, we're about to inflict absolutely monumental self harm on ourselves in just over a month and the Labour party decide now is the moment to take a stand... against themselves. Just fuck off, all of you.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think it’ll make a huge difference, I can’t see the majority of voters even caring about this Corbyn story given everything else that’s going on. 

They won’t but it looks like it could get very ugly internally.

If it goes to court the only real outcome is a vindication of Corbyn and a revolt against Starmer. The realistic outcome of that would be that most of the PLP stick with Starmer so any leadership contest might not materialise.

At that point i think it isnt impossible that it ends with the labour left MPs, a big chunk of the membership leaving and starting a new party proper and possibly also some unions disaffiliating and joining the new party.

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think it’ll make a huge difference, I can’t see the majority of voters even caring about this Corbyn story given everything else that’s going on. 

It makes the party stink to high heaven, it's major civil war. So, so frustrating.

And what the fuck is this about Starmer whipping to support Brexit? If ever there was a time that an abstaining made sense it's now. It would be the ultimate shrug of "it's your mess". Surely he knows it's all going to go to bollocks. Has he not seen how low support for Brexit is at the moment? I joined the Labour party because that prick represented my views between 2016-2019. I get not opposing it this year, but now is not the moment to support it.

Good at the despatch box, otherwise very disappointing.

16 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

At that point i think it isnt impossible that it ends with the labour left MPs, a big chunk of the membership leaving and starting a new party proper and possibly also some unions disaffiliating and joining the new party.

This won’t happen. These people are never going to risk losing their seat and influence. Starting a new party in a two party system Is suicide 

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It makes the party stink to high heaven, it's major civil war. So, so frustrating.

And what the fuck is this about Starmer whipping to support Brexit? If ever there was a time that an abstaining made sense it's now. It would be the ultimate shrug of "it's your mess". Surely he knows it's all going to go to bollocks. Has he not seen how low support for Brexit is at the moment? I joined the Labour party because that prick represented my views between 2016-2019. I get not opposing it this year, but now is not the moment to support it.

So is it about what you believe or about what is right to get elected? I am hearing so much discourse about the right time to say things that I’m concerned that we are becoming as political as those we so often call out.

I supported Jeremy Corbyn because he spoke out. The rhetoric right now seems to be stand in line cos they’re fucking up and we may win the next one. 

I support MPs saying what they think and not just going along with political lines.  Anything else is just playing a game i don’t want to play

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

This won’t happen. These people are never going to risk losing their seat and influence. Starting a new party in a two party system Is suicide 

It was suicide when Change UK did it but they still did it. Although they had little choice as they were all up for reselection by their constituency parties.

I think you misjudge the strength of feeling around this. It isn’t just Corbyn, its that Starmer is also undermining party democracy, silencing debate and acting like a tyrant.

I think in the kind of areas that many left wing labour MPs are in seats certainly some of them could risk leaving the labour party based on factional attacks by centrists and still win their seats. Particularly if backed by a sizeable membership and the unions.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My take is that they want to try to get past Brexit and the thought is that if they don’t vote for a trade deal then it makes no deal more likely; it gives the Tories near sole control over the vote. So if a large enough pocket of Tories wanted to vote down their own deal to get a no deal then Labour voting against a deal would help, it’s the same for abstaining. Labour could then be painted as being blamed for no deal by the Tories and would be associated with any harm that comes with it.

Another aspect is that there isn’t really any major downside to a deal when the alternative is no deal. Brexit has already happened and on the whole will make us poorer, therefore any trade deal that gets agreed won’t make us worse off than base line Brexit (no deal), the main negatives of a deal will be what it doesn’t cover which will be included in a no deal. This is a trade deal mainly so even it’s a flimsy one Labour could vote for it then push the government to go for better terms in the proceeding years. It would be important how Labour sold their actions to the public, prevent no deal, push for better terms etc. If things started to go wrong Labour would need to say there aren’t queues at the border because of this deal there are queues because you left the Customs Union. 

It’s mainly about protecting against a no deal and also making it look like Labour have learnt their lesson from last year. It’s a very tough dilemma for Labour but I think voting for a deal is the safest option available to them.