When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

35 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Problem with that is you get people in different departments on the same pay band. Someone working for an LA in a library might have had a decrease in workload over lockdown (if they weren't roped in to help out somewhere else), but they might be on the same pay band as someone in their social care department who's been working flat out. Either that pay band gets a rise, or it doesn't.

Or you put in a better system, or pay bonuses, or something else.

It's weird circumstances, I do think keeping existing systems where they're no longer relevant just because it's always been done that way has prevented us from reacting well throughout the pandemic.

I said this earlier, but I still don't get the whole reviewing it in two weeks thing. Isn't it widely accepted that it takes two weeks for cases and hospitalisations to really start rising? So in two weeks we will just be seeing the effects of the last two weeks of lockdown and base decisions on that, not the first two weeks of the tier system. Or have I got that wrong?

Once an area is in Tier 2, it is likely to already be on its journey back up to Tier 3 given the easing of certain restrictions and opening of pubs etc. I’m hoping we don’t see this in the Liverpool City Region, but I feel that we will and then Tier 2 ‘jubilation’ could be pretty short lived. 

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

Once an area is in Tier 2, it is likely to already be on its journey back up to Tier 3 given the easing of certain restrictions and opening of pubs etc. I’m hoping we don’t see this in the Liverpool City Region, but I feel that we will and then Tier 2 ‘jubilation’ could be pretty short lived. 

Well that’s exactly how I feel about London. I think it’s a really risky strategy

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Or you put in a better system, or pay bonuses, or something else.

It's weird circumstances, I do think keeping existing systems where they're no longer relevant just because it's always been done that way has prevented us from reacting well throughout the pandemic.

Sorry, as a public sector worker I'd forgotten bonuses were even a thing 🤣

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think you can still go to socially distanced events in tier 2 so would imagine this is allowed. Not with people outside your household though.

Suggested an outdoors meet-up with my family who are also in tier 2 and turns out they aren't arsed about seeing me enough to be in the cold! Ha.

Jazz cafe and Clapham grand have confirmed their concerts are going on

7 minutes ago, st dan said:

Well let's see. Tier 2 is the old tier 3 and that kept infections down.

17 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think you can still go to socially distanced events in tier 2 so would imagine this is allowed. Not with people outside your household though.

Suggested an outdoors meet-up with my family who are also in tier 2 and turns out they aren't arsed about seeing me enough to be in the cold! Ha.

For someone that lives on their own tier 2 means just seeing my friends outside. But 1,000 max can be inside for an event.

9 minutes ago, st dan said:

Not sure that's true. The tier 2 hospitality restrictions are basically the same as tier 3 before lockdown. The evidence appears to be that this worked in Liverpool and GM to decrease cases. 

I guess we'll know for sure in 4 weeks!

The numbers in Liverpool and Nottingham were similar at the start of lockdown, Nottingham's probably worse. Liverpool had mass testing thrown at it, Nottingham did not. Yesterday, Liverpool's numbers were generally lower than Nottingham, but its very very close. But today Liverpool gets tier 2 and Nottingham tier 3. Seems massively unfair and surely has more to do with the government needing to 'show' that mass testing has worked.

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

My pay goes up as the living / minimum wage increases now :( 

As in you pay goes up only when minimum wage does, or you're on minimum wage. 

Before lockdown one, my pay was other minimum wage and went up adjacent to it each year. Since lockdown however, my pay has reverted to minimum wage. I'm 25 though, so welcome the changes to minimum wage in april 2020, unless my work just fires me because im too old for their budget

Edited by ace56blaa

There’s massive discrepancies here which will only fuel the sense of unfairness and injustice that’s being felt. They are grouping whole counties together when a part will be experiencing high volumes but that will bring the whole area under a higher restriction level. 

Got a reply from HR about working from home...this bit is total bullshit...

As you most likely heard, **** is a part of essential critical infrastructure, and its employees and contractors perform duties needed to ensure the continuity of functions critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security.   We believe that our ability to deliver critical infrastructure services is not the same when work is performed 100% remotely as when it is done on-site