When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 Questions:

What are the rules on booking a table at a restaurant at say 7pm and having a meal but staying sat at your table smashing pints until 10pm? Is that allowed?

I'm going to see Beans on Toast on 12th Dec with 3 friends at a table for 4. Will it still go ahead? Can we buy booze? 

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

2 Questions:

What are the rules on booking a table at a restaurant at say 7pm and having a meal but staying sat at your table smashing pints until 10pm? Is that allowed?

I'm going to see Beans on Toast on 12th Dec with 3 friends at a table for 4. Will it still go ahead? Can we buy booze? 

I would imagine the business will be keen to get you out so they can do another food sitting ... that’s probably fair to them too ... 

Hancock boiling my piss blaming Andy Burnham for case rises and we're not as great as Liverpool - f**k you!! we've made some fantastic in roads on reducing our rates what a pile of f**king bollocks

I know it's not just about case rates but look at this chart

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm going to defend them here - the programming is fine, if they had built it to handle a few million people all trying to find out their area at once then it would be a far more expensive service that would make sense for what it does.  If it's not working in a couple of hours, then it is shit, otherwise it's fine.

While that's probably true in terms of the actual code, someone involved in the design should have realised that they were needlessly overcomplicating it and that introducing a lookup like that would create a bottleneck.

A simple page with a list of areas and tiers (which is what they eventually put up after the site choked) is more than enough for most people and would have used far less resource. Then have the postcode lookup as an option for those who don't know where they live.

It's like the Glastonbury site - during the ticket day rush they turn off all the bells and whistles and just put up a static version of the core information people are trying to find.

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

2 Questions:

If you are in tier 2 you can’t meet indoors with people not in your household. So unless your meal is outside then you can’t do that I’m afraid. 

2 minutes ago, incident said:

While that's probably true in terms of the actual code, someone involved in the design should have realised that they were needlessly overcomplicating it and that introducing a lookup like that would create a bottleneck.

A simple page with a list of areas and tiers (which is what they eventually put up after the site choked) is more than enough for most people and would have used far less resource. Then have the postcode lookup as an option for those who don't know where they live.

It's like the Glastonbury site - during the ticket day rush they turn off all the bells and whistles and just put up a static version of the core information people are trying to find.

This page isn't designed just to be used for one day though is it? 

It shouldn't happen but I suspect whatever API they are using for address look up is rate limited - like you say should have realised that on today of all days 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

This page isn't designed just to be used for one day though is it? 

Not relevant.

I'm not saying don't put up a postcode checker - just don't direct everyone to use it as the entry point in the initial rush when doing that was obviously going to cause it fall over create a bottleneck. If they'd put the list of areas up first, and then the postcode checker a few minutes later, then there'd be no issue.