When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm assuming they wouldn't do it but is voting against the tier system voting against christmas? 

Or is the country shooting itself in one foot a week before shooting itself in the other going through on emergency powers?

I think the main reason for voting against the tier system is if an MP’s constituency won’t be getting the support it needs if its placed in the highest tier. If London is in Tier 2 and those areas in tier 3 don’t get sufficient support then I’m sure the MP’s in those areas won’t agree to it. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

If anything I feel the opposite as we are so close to a vaccine there is more reason to go by the science for a little bit more as we’ll be close to a vaccine being rolled out and restrictions starting to relax. If the vaccine wasn’t on the horizon then yeah I think you’d have a point.

These new measures are in place because the government are afraid to tell people not to mix households at Christmas I feel. 

exactly all this.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Interesting that Sadiq was asking to go into tier 2 originally but is now convinced that going to tier 3 would be inappropriate. The numbers suggest that if London goes in tier 3 then most of England should be in tier 3. I think the thresholds for going up the tiers will be much lower than before, which makes sense given that undue leniency forced the lockdown. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If anything I feel the opposite as we are so close to a vaccine there is more reason to go by the science for a little bit more as we’ll be close to a vaccine being rolled out and restrictions starting to relax. If the vaccine wasn’t on the horizon then yeah I think you’d have a point.

These new measures are in place because the government are afraid to tell people not to mix households at Christmas I feel. 

But the science doesn’t need to be concerned about the social and economical impacts of these restrictions. And that is the real issue and impact for many millions of people. Just like economists probably think lockdowns should end altogether and we should all return to ‘normal’. And the Government is sat in between the two and taking in both angles.   

And I don’t think they are afraid of telling people not to mix - I think for once they are actually putting themselves in the shoes of the majority of families and understand what this time of year needs for many, and are trying to allow millions to have some enjoyment at the back end of a shitty year, without it becoming a free for all. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Interesting that Sadiq was asking to go into tier 2 originally but is now convinced that going to tier 3 would be inappropriate. The numbers suggest that if London goes in tier 3 then most of England should be in tier 3. I think the thresholds for going up the tiers will be much lower than before, which makes sense given that undue leniency forced the lockdown. 

London shouldn't be in tier 3 based on the cases and hospital capacity. You could argue Tier 1

15 minutes ago, st dan said:

But the science doesn’t need to be concerned about the social and economical impacts of these restrictions. And that is the real issue and impact for many millions of people. Just like economists probably think lockdowns should end altogether and we should all return to ‘normal’. And the Government is sat in between the two and taking in both angles.   

And I don’t think they are afraid of telling people not to mix - I think for once they are actually putting themselves in the shoes of the majority of families and understand what this time of year needs for many, and are trying to allow millions to have some enjoyment at the back end of a shitty year, without it becoming a free for all. 

That’s my point though as a vaccine is just around the corner, it gives us an end goal so we should keep up with restrictions to ensure as many lives can be saved until the vaccine can be rolled out to those that need it most. Yes the science will focus on the virus and what needs to be done to save as many lives as possible so as we are close to the end we should keep up with that, as it will only be for a little while longer.

I don’t think they are putting themselves in our shoes, they don’t want to make the big decisions in my mind and are afraid of the backlash. 

2 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Omg Boris Johnson mentioned feeding hungry kids as a government success. 

They literally did that as virtue signalling rather than actually out of any belief that hungry kids should be fed. Rashford forced it out of them. They’d have preferred not to and using it as political capital is a disgrace. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, st dan said:

He is completely correct in that this is going to increase cases. However taking a purely medical view on this isn’t helpful.  We need to understand peoples behaviour and what is likely to make them adhere to the restrictions, particularly at a unique time of Christmas . I think they’ve struck the right balance here in their approach to be fair to them, to try and minimise the risk as much as possible. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Johnson so rattled, I think he even forgot to say 'alas' this week, or get in his pre-prepared speech after the last question is asked, regardless of what it is.

His standard defence of asking Starmer a question back has been flatly rejected by the Speaker and is just an embarrassment to the PM at this stage.