When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

So now thanks to the ridiculous pressure because of the Christmas relaxations I'm in the brilliant position of having to go and stay with my girlfriend's parents, while refusing to see my own family on principle. Because they're only worried about fines and not the virus it seems - that's the only reason they wouldn't break the rules even for a socially distanced walk 

Despite the fact my dad is having my brother there, who lives with someone who works in an office. I'm still refusing. It's completely wrong. 

I just want it to be January...

Go sick.......🤧

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Pretty sure I read something saying you can't go to hospitality with your Christmas bubble:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55056375

Well that's just stupid. If you're going to be seeing them anyway, why can't you go for a meal with them in a restaurant? But, you can go with someone else who isn't in your bubble?

5 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Well that's just stupid. If you're going to be seeing them anyway, why can't you go for a meal with them in a restaurant? But, you can go with someone else who isn't in your bubble?

I'm guessing its just a blanket rule to keep the bigger numbers down, table numbers will still be 4-6 so a group of 15 would mess that up.

5 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Is it because your Christmas bubble could be quite a bit larger than 6 people? 

8 minutes ago, duke88 said:

That's how I read it yeah. But I could be wrong! I really don't think anyone will be in tier 1 at the time of Christmas for exactly this reason, though, to avoid confusion. Does make you wonder if it's even worth hospitality being open that week. You'd get a few people I guess but not much in the way of big groups.

Still no idea what we are doing. Prepared my mum yesterday for the likelihood that we won't see them during that period. Even if we can see both sets of parents (which I don't think we can if either are seeing our siblings), trying to squeeze both in during that timeframe is going to be really difficult. I'm working, albeit from home, til the 24th and there are usually no trains on Boxing Day anyway. It's all very tight to squeeze in two trips and would involve a lot of public transport.

It was our turn to see my partner's family for actual Christmas Day so that's not too much of a blow for my mum. Depending on the tiers situation I might attempt an outdoor meeting either side of Christmas instead (or indoor on the extreme offchance that we are both tier 1). Don't think they will be up for outdoor meeting but not much I can do about that!

So just waiting to hear what my partner's family want to do and will be led by that I guess. My instinct is really leaning towards not seeing anyone as our parents are all aged around 70 and some have health issues. Seems stupid when we can do something more safely in the new year. But I am going to wait and see what everyone else wants to do.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Is it because your Christmas bubble could be quite a bit larger than 6 people? 

Yeah that makes sense, but my understanding is you can't meet even one person from your Christmas bubble in a pub? But I could be wrong. My partner and I could still go to the pub together couldn't we? And we are both in that bubble. So I don't know.

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What a completely unnecessary personal attack 🤦‍♂️

Yeah, I think when it comes to the lockdown rules, people should just be left to do what they need to in order to stay sane. Be it go on holiday or meet outside if the household in a pub

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that makes sense, but my understanding is you can't meet even one person from your Christmas bubble in a pub? But I could be wrong. My partner and I could still go to the pub together couldn't we? And we are both in that bubble. So I don't know.

Yeah, that's what I meant, as long as you're not exceeding the allowed number of guests for a table, then why shouldn't you go to a restaurant or pub with people from your bubble if that's allowed in your area? Obviously you can't go in a group of 10. As you said, would be very strange if you couldn't go for a meal or drink with your partner in that week. 

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Of course he is correct in what he is saying here, but I feel that the science view at this stage of the pandemic isn’t one that can be taken on its own anymore. 
They aren’t considering the social and economic sides of the coin, as from their viewpoint obviously the ideal way to deal with this virus is isolation with a full lockdown. 
Not a fan of the government in the slightest, but it has obviously been a very difficult balancing act for them. 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm assuming they wouldn't do it but is voting against the tier system voting against christmas? 

Or is the country shooting itself in one foot a week before shooting itself in the other going through on emergency powers?

I don’t think the Christmas rules are looped in with the tier system. Because Christmas is technically a relaxation I’m not sure if it even needs to go through parliament (I think they specifically get a vote on tightened restrictions) 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Of course he is correct in what he is saying here, but I feel that the science view at this stage of the pandemic isn’t one that can be taken on its own anymore. 
They aren’t considering the social and economic sides of the coin, as from their viewpoint obviously the ideal way to deal with this virus is isolation with a full lockdown. 
Not a fan of the government in the slightest, but it has obviously been a very difficult balancing act for them. 

I’d like to think that in the future when Covid-25 or Covid-38 starts to spread, we take the NZ approach and lockdown quickly and eliminate. But of course the zero covid strategy ship sailed a long time ago in this case. 

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That’s my understanding of it too. It doesn’t seem very well thought through.

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What a completely unnecessary personal attack 🤦‍♂️

20 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I know!!!

Nah, the guy has plenty to say about other people's actions during this pandemic and how people are spreading the virus, but he is less happy to be called out as a hypocrite.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Nah, the guy has plenty to say about other people's actions during this pandemic and how people are spreading the virus, but he is less happy to be called out as a hypocrite.

Let’s all just be kind. And I include @FestivalJamie in that, because his comments about other people haven’t always been the kindest, but they’ve always been well meaning and out of a desire to protect everyone. In a world where you can be anything, be kind :) 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

If anything I feel the opposite as we are so close to a vaccine there is more reason to go by the science for a little bit more as we’ll be close to a vaccine being rolled out and restrictions starting to relax. If the vaccine wasn’t on the horizon then yeah I think you’d have a point.

These new measures are in place because the government are afraid to tell people not to mix households at Christmas I feel. 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

I think they mean from the hospitalization point of view. I'd be amazed if the numbers were low enough by christmas to avoid NHS issues in January alongside flu season peak. And with kids going to school up til Christmas, we have to hope this thing about them not really spreading it is true because the few days after that is prime time for their parents to be starting to show symptoms just as they see the grandparents