When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

35 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s not ideal, but they are still over the threshold for the trial passing, so they are still ok and the vaccine will be rolled out. 

When the vaccine starts getting rolled out do u think it will follow the half dose then full dose method that got better results? Sorry if it’s a stupid question.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Couldn’t you meet with a relative that’s on their own anyway?

It seems like she doesn’t want people to meet up at Christmas and knows the risks; but doesn’t want to be the one to tell people not too. 

Because they wanted to have the rules uniform across the four nations...but she's just asking people to postpone if can..

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Because they wanted to have the rules uniform across the four nations...but she's just asking people to postpone if can..

I dunno, this is a big decision and is easier to blend in and go along with the rest of the UK. I get the impression she’s not that keen on Christmas family gatherings but doesn’t want to be the one to essentially ban Christmas.

It adds more confusion and stress onto people to roll out the Christmas plan for meeting 3 households but at the same time say postpone if you can.

47 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s not ideal, but they are still over the threshold for the trial passing, so they are still ok and the vaccine will be rolled out. 

Ok cool. I wonder if they'll stick to the two dose regime then since it has more evidence. Saying that 90% in under 55 years old would still be useful.

51 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I dunno, this is a big decision and is easier to blend in and go along with the rest of the UK. I get the impression she’s not that keen on Christmas family gatherings but doesn’t want to be the one to essentially ban Christmas.

It adds more confusion and stress onto people to roll out the Christmas plan for meeting 3 households but at the same time say postpone if you can.

It's the classic "pubs are open, but don't go to the pub" gambit.

36 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Then why make tier 1 a current option? They've essentially given hope to low infection areas and then pulled the rug right from underneath them. Introduce it later on if essential but I can see a fair few rebel tories being unhappy about this 

It’s like the elusive tier 0 in Scotland. They want to have a carrot there to aspire to so that everyone is motivated to get the R down. 

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

And presumably if the household you see sees another household then they are part of your bubble regardless of whether you see them. If you see what I mean.

I assume that you'll be able to "split" your own household but still return there - obviously necessary for those in flat-shares etc. 

5 hours ago, jparx said:

Doesn’t really work too well with in-laws does it? If me and my partner both select our parents, then our parents will also be grouped together and can’t see anyone else.

Not sure people will follow that. People will pick two households and not worry any more about it. So we’ll pick our parents, and our parents will pick us + another household etc

Depends what you mean by "work too well". It stops you from seeing both sets of parents - that's sort of the point of it. It's to try and get you to see less people than you would normally see, while still letting you see some. By that metric, it's working very well!

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

This will split some families and cause some to be left out if they want to abide by the rules in a type of Peter Pan scenario. 

The point is literally to split some larger families to reduce the spread of the virus. It'll need some explaining but there's time to do that.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Also not surprised to hear no one is in tier 1. Johnson strongly hinted that everyone was going to be in a tougher tier than before on Monday.

This is really shit being in Colchester. The council asked for us to be in Tier 2 previously, despite the fact they were placing us in Tier 1. Essex Council said that us opting to go into a stricter tier would benefit us later. It has, massively - Colchester and the surrounding area all have a rate of 80 or below per 100,000. Would be really shit to now not be able to even do what we were doing previously in Tier 2, especially with numbers trending downwards even more. They've gone with the carrot and stick approach and then taken away the former it seems. 

43 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

This is really shit being in Colchester. The council asked for us to be in Tier 2 previously, despite the fact they were placing us in Tier 1. Essex Council said that us opting to go into a stricter tier would benefit us later. It has, massively - Colchester and the surrounding area all have a rate of 80 or below per 100,000. Would be really shit to now not be able to even do what we were doing previously in Tier 2, especially with numbers trending downwards even more. They've gone with the carrot and stick approach and then taken away the former it seems. 

I mean 80 per 100,000 isn’t low though, regions should really be aiming for 35-50 per 100k over a 7 day incidence. 

The massive risk with tier 1 is the case rates just drift up until the point it is too late and then you move up a tier but it’s too late, and it gives the government too many places to keep an eye on and with swapping tiers everywhere it all gets too confusing.

I guess the new tactic is put everyone into a higher tier, hope it’s enough to keep a lid on cases but then they won’t have to worry about moving anyone up or down and all of these negotiations with council leaders won’t have to take place because no one will be moving tiers.

Apologies @kingbadgerI’ve just taken a further look and the rate In Colchester is actually 54.7/100,000 over a 7 day incidence.

This I believe is genuinely low enough to justify tier 1 restrictions, so we will see what happens.

The issue is if your area is tier 1 and surrounding areas are tier 2, there’s a risk of massive influx of people from surrounding areas bringing in and spreading higher levels of the virus and bringing rates up in Colchester too.