When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

So if A sees B and B sees C, A and C are in a bubble even if they don’t see each other? That’s how I understand it. 

Think this might actually get adhered to by and large.

13 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

A lot of our friends are ex-students who have stayed in the local area after uni but because of their work shifts they usually can’t go back home for Christmas.

We’ll still be able to invite a couple of people over as long as they don’t have anyone else to see in the same period. 

Yeah I think that's right. Honestly don't know what we'll do yet but just trying to get my head around the actual rules first!

It’s a bit of trust isn’t it, trusting that the 2 other households in your bubble don’t go and see someone else thus negating the bubble you are in?

This seems like a bit of a mess to be honest, 3 households for the entire 5 days doesn’t exactly seem like something that people will stick too. 

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

Doesn’t really work too well with in-laws does it? If me and my partner both select our parents, then our parents will also be grouped together and can’t see anyone else.

Not sure people will follow that. People will pick two households and not worry any more about it. So we’ll pick our parents, and our parents will pick us + another household etc

This is my issue with it. We both have siblings and one set of those will have another partner's parents to see. So if we saw all our siblings and parents that would take the full bubble up to six households, even though half of them won't see each other. We won't be doing that so need to get my head around what is possible!

Just now, Ozanne said:

It’s a bit of trust isn’t it, trusting that the 2 other households in your bubble don’t go and see someone else thus negating the bubble you are in?

This seems like a bit of a mess to be honest, 3 households for the entire 5 days doesn’t exactly seem like something that people will stick too. 

I think people may well just see two other households, but no chance will they “bubble” in the way that’s being described. Say, for example, your parents are divorced. If you pick them both, that automatically means your separated parents are bubbled together. Zero chance people follow that. 

People who are cautious will remain cautious ... people that don’t give a shit won’t take any notice of rules ... whatever they might be ... there isn’t going to be enforcement .... please whatever you decide open those windows , meet outside where possible , just do what you can to make everyone safe ... and despite allowances the lower the numbers people stick to the less the chance of loved ones getting ill 

Edited by crazyfool1

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

People who are cautious will remain cautious ... people that don’t give a shit won’t take any notice of rules ... whatever they might be ... there isn’t going to be enforcement .... please whatever you decide open those windows , meet outside where possible , just do what you can to make everyone safe ... 

^^^ Yep

Me and my fella are doing our usual solo Christmas together and just do virtual meets with our family until we feel it's safe to travel across the country to see them (probably when we have a jab tbh)

Edited by shoptildrop

Just now, Ozanne said:

This will split some families and cause some to be left out if they want to abide by the rules in a type of Peter Pan scenario. 

I just said this to the fella that it will probably cause some arguments on favouritism and who gets priority :( 

20 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I don't think people will stick to the actual rules that well to be honest. I suppose they are partly there just to remind people to exercise caution.

This.

I think many spend far too much time overthinking the specifics. All about the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law IMO. 

21 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

And tough shit for all the poor bastards that live alone? Fuck that!

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I live on my own. 

This is where you need to find others in your local area and spend Christmas with them. 

It’s what we did pre covid anyway. Find all the people on their own and get pissed together without all kids and family drama. 

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

If you're happy to spend it alone, then good for you. Just don't judge those that would be miserable & depressed. Covid isn't the only illness in town!

I know, I’ve previously been diagnosed with depression as well so I am aware of how it can impact people.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

This is where you need to find others in your local area and spend Christmas with them. 

It’s what we did pre covid anyway. Find all the people on their own and get pissed together without all kids and family drama. 

I will be spending xmas day with my mum, my daughter & my brother - all of whom live alone - and I don't give a fuck what the government or anyone on this forum thinks!

• Upvote 1

I think we are all weighing up some very tough decisions on this ..... but what we must remember is that the other side isn't so far  away now and the smiles will slowly be creeping back next year .... We dont know each others entire situations or levels of risk to others .... every judgement ... every move ... we will all be assessing everything .... nobody on here wants to infect anybody they just want to smile in the safest way possible .... and if anyone wants a chat xmas day and a smile I will likely be around loitering on here ..... In it together guys

The other part of this I can’t get my head around is that if you are in higher in a higher tiered area then you shouldn’t travel to other areas, right? Which is really important they say to limit the spread but for those 5 days around Christmas they are saying you can travel. Surely if it is that important they would keep the travel restrictions between higher and lower tiered areas in place?

Edited by Ozanne

18 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I will be spending xmas day with my mum, my daughter & my brother - all of whom live alone - and I don't give a fuck what the government or anyone on this forum thinks!

I know you don't care what anyone thinks but just to say that I think that you will be within the rules anyway. If you all live alone then you could be two of the old style bubbles (single households can join another) so are actually only two households mixing. Presuming they keep the old bubbles?! 

It all does just start to get a bit ludicrous when you have all these conflicting specific restrictions.