When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

51 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I could understand their position when there was no certainty about a vaccine, and no end date in sight (even if I strongly disagreed with it). But now there is a vaccine (or three!) and at least a time line, the "just give up and open everything up" makes no sense at all- just leads to easily avoidable deaths. If they're worried about business and jobs then focus on adequate financial support for the next 3 or 4 months until vulnerable people have been vaccinated.

You can just as easily take that argument the other way though, saying “people are getting jabbed next week so the damage implication isn’t there”. 

Given there was a fear from the ‘22 that the lockdown would be extended, and that’s apparently not happening now, I’d say this is posturing and they’ll fall into line for the price of moving their areas down 1 level.

1 hour ago, st dan said:

In theory the tier system works, but it’s going to be absolute carnage trying to maintain and apply it properly.
For example, how can a pub/restaurant on the higher end of Tier 2 area be expected to do rotas, stock ordering etc if they don’t know which tier they will be, and therefore if they can actually open, further than a week or so in advance? 

I think they'll be stricter this time put every region in a high tier to begin with to solve that problem. They want to always be moving places down the tiers not the other way round.

Colchester is in the bottom 10 of districts with 77 cars per 100,000. Going to be fuming if we're not Tier 1, really struggling to cope with lockdown on my tod in my flat and just wanna meet a couple of mates in a beer garden. That's all I want.

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Colchester is in the bottom 10 of districts with 77 cars per 100,000. Going to be fuming if we're not Tier 1, really struggling to cope with lockdown on my tod in my flat and just wanna meet a couple of mates in a beer garden. That's all I want.

There probably won’t be much fumes with only 77 cars per 100k in your area. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I think they'll be stricter this time put every region in a high tier to begin with to solve that problem. They want to always be moving places down the tiers not the other way round.

yep they can show that regions do move down the tiers to appease those lets open up regardless group at the first review hopefully most will be dropping after 2 weeks .... and then at the next review they can blame everyone for the rise based on christmas infections and not sticking to the guidance and bump regions back up a tier .... thus avoiding that National lockdown 

15 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Assuming London is in tier 2 then most of the country should be in 2 or 3. London is the third lowest region. 

In my opinion, these tiers don’t work and everyone should just be under tier 3 restrictions (national restrictions) for the next 3 weeks before 5 days of chaos at Christmas when the cases are going to spike. We can’t afford to ease the restrictions now and then have Christmas on top or the health service could really struggle come January.

So therefore, given Christmas is coming up, and London has 10 million people who will all be mixing around the country come 22nd December, London in my opinion should sit at tier 3 until Christmas. Otherwise people from other tier 3 areas might travel into London to do things they can’t do in their areas. 

It’s also worth noting that the estimated r in London is higher than some other parts of the country as it currently sits at about (0.9-1.1). The average rate for London is not far off the national average so if we ease too much we will shoot up over national average. 

I think they will make the economical decision and put London in tier 2, but I still stand by my opinion that the whole country should be tier 3.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

So what's the point in even announcing a tier 1 then? Tier 2 should just be branded as tier 1 now...?

My local news was reporting last night about the relatively low cases in Norfolk and Suffolk and how MPs in this area would only really support us being in tier 1 so I can't help but feel this will end badly if everywhere automatically ends up in higher tiers

Edited by Chapple12345

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

In my opinion, these tiers don’t work and everyone should just be under tier 3 restrictions (national restrictions) for the next 3 weeks before 5 days of chaos at Christmas when the cases are going to spike. We can’t afford to ease the restrictions now and then have Christmas on top or the health service could really struggle come January.

So therefore, given Christmas is coming up, and London has 10 million people who will all be mixing around the country come 22nd December, London in my opinion should sit at tier 3 until Christmas. Otherwise people from other tier 3 areas might travel into London to do things they can’t do in their areas. 

It’s also worth noting that the estimated r in London is higher than some other parts of the country as it currently sits at about (0.9-1.1). The average rate for London is not far off the national average so if we ease too much we will shoot up over national average. 

I think they will make the economical decision and put London in tier 2, but I still stand by my opinion that the whole country should be tier 3.

I / we need shops open ..... we won't have any high street left if we dont .... not that we will have much left now .... I think having non essential shops open might help spread people out .... although might not be the case for the staff in them ...

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I / we need shops open ..... we won't have any high street left if we dont .... not that we will have much left now .... I think having non essential shops open might help spread people out .... although might not be the case for the staff in them ...

Yeah but everywhere tier 3 would still get non essential shops and gyms and sports running again wouldn’t it? :)

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

Yeah but everywhere tier 3 would still get non essential shops and gyms and sports running again wouldn’t it? :)

ah yes .... I saw the words National restrictions and misunderstood thinking u wanted similar to now .... apologies im following again :) 

I see Hancock trying to blame Andy Burnham for why tier placement will be non-negotiable... all places were arguing for more money it was just Andy made a public point on how unfair the money side was..

Which when London cried about it the magic money tree struck immediately but when it was just the north we were being unreasonable 

The government seriously won't take any responsibility  :(

despite our rapidly falling numbers we're going to be made an example of and put in Tier 3 for sure!! 

Edited by shoptildrop

3 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I see Hancock trying to blame Andy Burnham for why tier placement will be non-negotiable... all places were arguing for more money it was just Andy made a public point on how unfair the money side was..

Which when London cried about it the magic money tree struck immediately but when it was just the north we were being unreasonable 

The government seriously won't take any responsibility  :(

despite our rapidly falling numbers we're going to be made an example of and put in Tier 3 for sure!! 

It's Peterloo all over again!