When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Are they  to just jiggling the things around now based on the hope of saving some of the businesses not doing anything based on science and transmission ....it seems like some of the things that were closed before are now open ... just seems very little logic behind it 

I think theyve realised with an end in sight, and widespread public acceptance/apathy about 500 deaths a day that they have a bit more flexibility around what they let happen over the next couple of months. If deaths hover in the region where they are now, they won't get much pushback about it unfortunately 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think theyve realised with an end in sight, and widespread public acceptance/apathy about 500 deaths a day that they have a bit more flexibility around what they let happen over the next couple of months. If deaths hover in the region where they are now, they won't get much pushback about it unfortunately 

sadly I think you are right .... a couple of plane loads of people  per day seems so easily forgotten by many :( 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah socially distanced gigs had been happening before lockdown too. Very hard to make them financially viable though.

50% capacity and up to 1,000 people indoors seems a lot higher than anything that ran before lockdown though. Most of those distanced gigs were in the 20-30% range.

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s a bar right in the centre of Leeds which has built a new outdoor seating area. They are taking bookings from the 3rd. They are definitely expecting to be able to open. 

I think Leeds would be tier 2 now, although for pubs that means you’d have to have a proper meal to be able to drink. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think Leeds would be tier 2 now, although for pubs that means you’d have to have a proper meal to be able to drink. 

Leeds is higher the. Manchester so that would be great news!

I think they'll go much harder on the tiers early on though. Aiming to not have to put places back into a higher tier.

3 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Do (did) the tiers have any set thresholds? 

Not that they're telling us. 

Probably because we'd all obsess over going below the threshold. 

They say it depends on the direction of infections and hospital capacity as well.

So somewhere like Manchester is dropping rapidly now but we've still loads of people in hospital so less room for easing up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

They say it depends on the direction of infections and hospital capacity as well.

So somewhere like Manchester is dropping rapidly now but we've still loads of people in hospital so less room for easing up.

Thanks! 

Remember the travel quarantine requirement was originally based on less than 20 cases per 100,000 (or something similar) but couldn't remember if there was any quantifiable basis for the tiers.

Basically i'm trying to work out if theres any point in trying to book a table in the pub for next weekend 😬

44 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Centrist pretending to not understand what the point of a walk out is, yet somehow thinks this makes them right smart and witty. All they do is whinge about the left because the literally have no ideas or solutions for any of the big problems of the day

Anyhoo, seems like labour will be focusing on infighting for the foreseeable future, in the middle of a pandemic and economic collapse - brilliant 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Just like when they said R would have to be below 1 to come out of lockdown, it isn’t across the country and we are still coming out anyway 😆

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Just like when they said R would have to be below 1 to come out of lockdown, it isn’t across the country and we are still coming out anyway 😆

Isn't it? Cases are falling, therefore on average the country is below R1.  Not all areas are below 1, that's what local lockdowns are for.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Isn't it? Cases are falling, therefore on average the country is below R1.  Not all areas are below 1, that's what local lockdowns are for.

Not yet it isn’t, according to the latest update on Friday the R was 1-1.1 across England.

I think they shouldn’t say R should be below 1 to get us out of lockdown, if they aren’t going to stick to that. 

Just now, Euphoricape said:

If tier 3 areas are where the R rate is highest then the whole of the south west must be in top tier as we have the highest R rate. But where I am in Cornwall we have one of the lowest rates of cases so how does that work?.

Tier 6 for you guys. Soz. You can’t leave the room you are in. 

In theory the tier system works, but it’s going to be absolute carnage trying to maintain and apply it properly.
For example, how can a pub/restaurant on the higher end of Tier 2 area be expected to do rotas, stock ordering etc if they don’t know which tier they will be, and therefore if they can actually open, further than a week or so in advance? 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Talking about w*nkers, Graham Brady chair of the 1922 committee has said he’s ‘minded to vote against’ the new tier restrictions according to The Guardian. 

I could understand their position when there was no certainty about a vaccine, and no end date in sight (even if I strongly disagreed with it). But now there is a vaccine (or three!) and at least a time line, the "just give up and open everything up" makes no sense at all- just leads to easily avoidable deaths. If they're worried about business and jobs then focus on adequate financial support for the next 3 or 4 months until vulnerable people have been vaccinated.