When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On 3/22/2020 at 2:45 PM, Chrisp1986 said:

Basic question, when do people genuinely think live music will restart and life gets back to normal?

There's a not insignificant chance this shit could end exactly a year after this thread was started...

March 22nd, pencil in the date for live music restarting!

From parliament

Speaking at the fag end of a long Commons session, Johnson was asked bluntly by the SNP’s Carol Monaghan whether he had “an exit strategy” or was just winging it again with his new Christmas relaxation plan. He replied that he would use “tough tiering”, mass testing and a roll-out of the vaccine to keep the virus down.

Advertisement

Johnson then added: “We must push it down further until such time as we are able to say that all those who are vulnerable have been vaccinated and we can move forward and go back completely to normal.” Yes, you read that right “back completely to normal”. And he went yet further: “That terminus, that end date, looks like being Easter.” 

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Seriously though, what the fuck is up with this half dose -> fulldose programme giving the best outcome? Could the other two dose vaccines have similar success? Why would this work?

cc professor @Toilet Duck

Fuzzy pretty much has it! 

More relevant for other two dose vaccines based on using the same viral vector for both doses. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are just RNA, and while we have cellular mechanisms to identify foreign RNA, it’s such a short lived molecule, we tend not to mount an immune response to it. Added to that, the intracellular self-defence mechanisms that identify foreign RNA tend to recognise circular molecules (thinking they are viruses) rather than mRNA, which it just a short strand and is the intermediate between DNA instructions and protein for all our genes, as such there’s lots of similar molecules in every cell in our body (apart from red blood cells) so we leave them alone (it’s an ingenious solution to vaccine creation really!). The Russians thought of this, so use two different viruses for each dose, and many of the vaccines coming down the line don’t use viral vectors, but it could be useful info for some of the Chinese vaccines and for future viral ones! 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

Interesting (and depressing), thanks! Important to remember that the govenrment have fucked pretty much every aspect of handling this pandemic. I wonder how quickly people will forget.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Interesting (and depressing), thanks! Important to remember that the govenrment have fucked pretty much every aspect of handling this pandemic. I wonder how quickly people will forget.

I’ve just put in another thread that it won’t take long - Boris will be remembered as the man who led us out of the pandemic rather than the one who presided over all those deaths.

13 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’ve just put in another thread that it won’t take long - Boris will be remembered as the man who led us out of the pandemic rather than the one who presided over all those deaths.

Sorry mate but absolutely no way will he be remembered like that. His personal approval ratings are in the gutter and it shouldn’t be forgotten he has blown a 20 odd point lead in the polls. His complete shambles of a response to this pandemic should and hopefully will be remembered for a long time.

His latest mistake is coming in a few weeks I fear as well.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry mate but absolutely no way will he be remembered like that. His personal approval ratings are in the gutter and it shouldn’t be forgotten he has blown a 20 odd point lead in the polls. His complete shambles of a response to this pandemic should and hopefully will be remembered for a long time.

His latest mistake is coming in a few weeks I fear as well.

I really hope you are right about how he’ll be remembered.

I agree there. I think January is going to be horrific.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

From next Wednesday surely? When lockdown ends.

I’d have assumed that but I read on this thread someone saying it was back before the lockdown formally ends. I’m supposed to meet a friend for a socially distanced coffee in the park on Sunday and was wondering if we can now invite our other friend or if I should just see her afterwards 

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Just a reminder that Johnson didn’t sack Patel (it’s getting lost in all the restrictions/vaccine news).

He'll reshuffle her. Which is a tacit acknowledgment that she's poison (though he won't admit it), not to mention incompetent.

Minister for Smirking?

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Can a person in Tier 3 legally go abroad from 2 December?

No 10 have said categorically "No".

The transport secretary, Grant Shapps, has just told the Today programme "Yes"

This government's communication summed up.

This is whats concerning me again. Surely tier 3 areas should be locked down with travelling in and out illegal unless for work/caring etc.. Whats the point in having such tight restrictions in these areas if people can travel out of the area and do what they want else where..? I'm confused.

Edited by Euphoricape

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

He'll reshuffle her. Which is a tacit acknowledgment that she's poison (though he won't admit it), not to mention incompetent.

Minister for Smirking?

I’m hearing:

Kit Malthouse to home sec

Raab to Gove’s old job

Sajid Javid to Foreign Sec

Patel to party chairman

Williamson and JRM sacked

Jeremy Hunt brought back in to cabinet 

Gove to health secretary

Hancock to leader of the house 

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Minister for Smirking?

She’s going to be Chairwoman of the Conservative Party according to reports I saw at the weekend. She’s very popular amongst grass root Tories. 

15 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m hearing:

Kit Malthouse to home sec

Raab to Gove’s old job

Sajid Javid to Foreign Sec

Patel to party chairman

Williamson and JRM sacked

Jeremy Hunt brought back in to cabinet 

Gove to health secretary

Hancock to leader of the house 

Interesting. That many shuffles of the top jobs suggests you completely cocked it up first time round.