When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, incident said:

Getting deep into technicalities here, but the act you're talking about doesn't directly lay down the restrictions currently in place. What it does is provide ministerial powers to introduce restrictions as needed. While it's true that this could theoretically be used without parliamentary approval up until 2022, we both know that it won't barring a substantial and currently unforeseen change in situation.

The current restrictions, broadly speaking, did go through parliament, and that legislation certainly does expire in March. SIs have been used as short term fixes and as clarifications but not to push through any substantial long/medium term changes.

While they may not technically need to go back to parliament, it's near certain that any significant further restrictions (beyond emergency use) will do so because again, Boris won't risk going against his MPs to that extent.

You can argue technicalities all you want, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation - as it stands today most restrictions expire by the end of March and while yes there's legal provision to extend them without parliamentary consent that realistically won't happen.

Lots of 'ifs, buts and technicallys' in there. My point still stands.

1 hour ago, phimill said:

I presume we have a briefing this evening?

I haven't heard if the data has been passed to the MHRA yet - I guess they will announce this at the briefing?

@Toilet Duck any reason it couldn't be passed to MHRA for approval today?

The data submission is pretty huge, so if they have only just gotten this data from the independent evaluation panel it'll take a bit to gather it together for the submission to the regulators. The regulators themselves have already been looking at the data on a rolling basis, but they'll get a much more in depth look at it from the authorisation submission. The timelines of vaccinations starting before Christmas and ramping up significantly in January seem pretty realistic and with a 3rd vaccine over the line now, the possibility of getting a large chunk of the vaccination programme completed by Easter is certainly possible. 

The only thing I'm really worried about for the vaccine roll out is people getting the first shot and not bothering to go back for the second (hopefully this is an unfounded worry and those that get the shot will be sensible enough to do it properly!). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Waterdeep said:

Do you have to wait around for a bit after the flu vaccine? I think I read somewhere that the coronavirus one requires you to stay for a short amount of time afterwards (15-20 mins?) so you can be monitored for immediate adverse reactions. That might slow things down a bit if it's different from the flu setup already in place.

I had my flu shot in a well known high street chemist - they just told me to loiter in the shop for 10 minutes in case I felt light headed or anything so I picked up some bits I needed and went on my way. I wasn't holding up any ability they have to get the next person in. 

31 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

In theory, the protocol for the flu shot is also to wait for 15 minutes (since any anaphylaxis that could occur will happen within that time frame). In practice, they hoosh you out the door as soon as you are done! 

Edit: I should also add that fainting (which is more common than anaphylaxis) might be a concern at drive through vaccination centres, so parking for 15 minutes after the shot might not be a bad way of dealing with it...

Yep, I'm one of those fainters! A combination of vaccine fainting in school, traumatic event in my 20s requiring hospitalisation and blood transfusion = now pretty much guaranteed to faint even getting blood taken lol. I have to take my own blood pressure at home as I get white coat syndrome at the doctor's office and it always reads high ffs, I'm a disaster! So yeah I'm fully prepared to be 'that' person that turns green and faints 😅

@Toilet Duck I have a question...I assume that the other vaccines being worked on round the world will continue...but they will need to go through the mass testing for phase 2 or 3 or whatever. If there are other working vaccines being rolled out globally...does this not become an eithical issue...ask people not to be vaccinated with a current working vaccine but trial a new vaccine instead?

4 minutes ago, Chef said:

I had my flu shot in a well known high street chemist - they just told me to loiter in the shop for 10 minutes in case I felt light headed or anything so I picked up some bits I needed and went on my way. I wasn't holding up any ability they have to get the next person in. 

Yeah it was the smaller GP surgeries and pharmacies I was thinking of, with social distancing and limiting numbers inside the room it might get cramped pretty quickly! But I guess the bigger centres that'll be set up to do the initial runs for the vulnerable and older will be well suited for that. Then when it comes to getting the rest of us done we can book in staggered slots and it won't be as much of a rush.

31 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Also these vaccine centres won’t be surgery’s or pharmacy’s they are going to be sports halls, warehouses, etc

the more bigger hubs they can get the quicker they can roll it out .... will make supply and storage of the vaccine much quicker I would think rather than have to filter it off to smaller clinics 

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Shouldn't there be some globally accepted standard for a vaccine so you can prove you've been vaccinated? 
Like a standardised QR code all the G20 countries get behind?

I think it's pragmatic to be able to prove you've been vaccinated, maybe not for now but for the future..

its a good thing we dont have too many conspiracy theorists on here :) 

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Shouldn't there be some globally accepted standard for a vaccine so you can prove you've been vaccinated? 

I think it's pragmatic to be able to prove you've been vaccinated, maybe not for now but for the future..

I'm sure someone, somewhere is working out how they can do it.😀

https://pandemic.internationalsos.com/reports/tourists-are-buying-fake-covid-19-test-results-on-the-black-market-to-travel-nov-18-2020

3 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

Yeah it was the smaller GP surgeries and pharmacies I was thinking of, with social distancing and limiting numbers inside the room it might get cramped pretty quickly! But I guess the bigger centres that'll be set up to do the initial runs for the vulnerable and older will be well suited for that. Then when it comes to getting the rest of us done we can book in staggered slots and it won't be as much of a rush.

There was someone posted (I think on this thread) a week or so back that they or someone they knew worked for a company that had been contracted to provide a large number of portacabins for situations like that.

Edited by incident

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

the more bigger hubs they can get the quicker they can roll it out .... will make supply and storage of the vaccine much quicker I would think rather than have to filter it off to smaller clinics 

I assume they can use the Nightingale "Hospitals" until they revert to their commercial usage.

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

You still have to have certain immunisations to travel to parts of Africa for e.g. Yellow Fever.

They used to stamp a booklet before the digital age.

Digital should make it more secure and don't see why can't be e.g. tied to passports.

10 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

Yep, I'm one of those fainters! A combination of vaccine fainting in school, traumatic event in my 20s requiring hospitalisation and blood transfusion = now pretty much guaranteed to faint even getting blood taken lol. I have to take my own blood pressure at home as I get white coat syndrome at the doctor's office and it always reads high ffs, I'm a disaster! So yeah I'm fully prepared to be 'that' person that turns green and faints 😅

Yay, not just me! I have to lie down when I get jabs done, cos otherwise I'll end up horizontal anyway 😂

13 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Are you Xi Jinping in disguise

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55039662

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Yay, not just me! I have to lie down when I get jabs done, cos otherwise I'll end up horizontal anyway 😂

im Diabetic and once fainted when having bloods done ...... The embarrassment :( ..... I blame the nice student nurse that was overseeing things :)