When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

22 minutes ago, zahidf said:

AstraZeneca will have 200m doses of its candidate vaccine developed by the University of Oxford by the end of 2020, with 700m ready globally by the end of the first quarter of 2021, operations executive Pam Cheng has said.

Cheng told a briefing that there would be 20m doses in the UK by the end of the year, with 70m more for the UK by the end of March that year.

excellent. :) 

Because they know what they can produce, that's a delivery timetable they should be able to stick to. 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Absolute pie in the sky nonsense to think we’ll be waiting for all to be vaccinated before the rules are gone.

I reckon we could see a significant relaxation around the end of January when the most vulnerable are vaccinated, perhaps back to July/August type rules. Then by Easter social distancing will be rightfully confined to the bin. 

Yep.. The vast bulk of the current legislation expires naturally just before Easter anyway, so it'd require new laws to continue past that point.

Can't see Boris even being willing to take his own party on to propose further restrictions.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Absolute pie in the sky nonsense to think we’ll be waiting for all to be vaccinated before the rules are gone.

I reckon we could see a significant relaxation around the end of January when the most vulnerable are vaccinated, perhaps back to July/August type rules. Then by Easter social distancing will be rightfully confined to the bin. 

maybe, maybe not. I'm a bit more pessimistic than that. I think they will want to try and achieve herd immunity with these vaccines. So, maybe another lockdown in January if get a spike after xmas, then Tiers again which will be gradually eased as things improve. But, I think they social distancing and masks will be encouraged for a few months into early summer...although lots of people will probably just ignore it. What this means for large scale events I don't know...Glastonbury is possibly right on the edge before mass scale events are allowed...

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But i dont think countries are going to wait to vaccinate evryone before reopening the economy anyway

This.

It will be a balancing act for the next 6 months looking very carefully at hospitalisation rates, numbers vaccinated and the opening up of economies. 

The more that are vaccinated the less need hospital and the more freedoms we get!

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

as it takes around a month after the 2nd jab for it to be 'working', I think January is a little too soon. 

1 minute ago, incident said:

Yep.. The vast bulk of the current legislation expires naturally just before Easter anyway, so it'd require new laws to continue past that point.

Can't see Boris even being willing to take his own party on to propose further restrictions.

Has to be renewed every six months right? I can see it being extended on the promise that it’s for purely technical reasons (I.e. to allow things like mandatory self-isolation of positive cases, which is likely here until the vaccine is completely rolled out) 

2 minutes ago, incident said:

I think the Furlogh scheme is up to March as well?

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

They’ve said Easter (well, ‘after’) now so they will stick to it. I’d imagine some phased limited capacity gigs and sports events in March time?

2 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

I think the Furlogh scheme is up to March as well?

Yep.

I'm not actually sure if there's any support scheme, or restrictions, on the books that actually continue past the end of March without parliamentary approval - which they won't get or even ask for if a vaccine has been at least offered to all of the vulnerable by that point.

37 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yes, 100% on the danger of re-opening for a Christmas party binge.

In Spain they have pre-announced a 9pm curfew until January i.e. all pubs and bars will be closed at the time people tend to drop their guard most and infections more likely.

It's a mistake not to do something similar in the UK. 

By all means pubs open more in the daytime when people aren't as pissed and you can ventilate more but this plan is asking for trouble. 

It's not compulsory to get blitzed when you go to the pub. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Which one? its 1 week after the 2nd Jab for Pfizer. Not seen the oxford one but i dont think its a month, that sounds way too long

ahh, maybe I'm mistaken then. I thought they were all about a month after the 2nd jab.

Whatever it is, we should be able to see a measurable effect with a fall infections soon after that 2nd jab.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ahh, maybe I'm mistaken then. I thought they were all about a month after the 2nd jab.

Whatever it is, we should be able to see a measurable effect with a fall infections soon after that 2nd jab.

Tbh the first jab will have an effect. The second jab is a booster effect 

Just now, BobWillis said:

Some great news that’s potentially been overlooked. 

The Oxford/AstraZeneca trials have show evidence that their vaccine reduces transmission. Which the others have not been able to demonstrate. 

'Some' evidence. Still far from proven but this would be absolutely massive news for the world. A real gamechanger if true.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't think it's a controversial statement to say that a lot of people get quite drunk in the pub (and become more tactile and talk much louder), is it?

Have you been into a pub since all this started? There is almost zero chance for that sort of thing to happen short of moving in and out of the pub or to and from the toilet. 

You can't get up and move around, you can't go to the bar. 

1 hour ago, The Dawg said:

I have been helping out at my local cricket club this weekend as they have been asked to provide the room as a vaccination centre by the NHS.

I spoke to a rep from the NHS and he said they are sourcing places like to be ready to go after the 2nd December for either Covid vaccines and/or flu jabs.

If you don’t mind me asking, which club?

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Have you been into a pub since all this started? There is almost zero chance for that sort of thing to happen short of moving in and out of the pub or to and from the toilet. 

You can't get up and move around, you can't go to the bar. 

That's a fair point. But people are still in close proximity- at least in many pubs - and moreover they are coming with friends outside their bubble.

Without alcohol, there's a certain distance.

As the night wears on with more and more drinks downed and definitely by 11pm, that goes out the window. 

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That's a fair point. But people are still in close proximity- at least in many pubs - and moreover they are coming with friends outside their bubble.

Without alcohol, there's a certain distance.

As the night wears on with more and more drinks downed and definitely by 11pm, that goes out the window. 

Also, I reckon some people were secretly going to the pub and sitting with people they weren't really allowed to go with.