When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, eFestivals said:

I'm not a gym goer, but I'm well aware that you don't need a gym to do exercise.

Just because it might not be your favourite form of exercise doesn't mean it's not exercise.

There's a pandemic, remember? That means measures have to be taken in order to control it, and when it's running out of control and there's no solid data about where the risks really are, it's better to err on the side of caution and not have places of contact open that people can manage without for a few weeks.

Could not agree more.

Exercise is about improving health and we are spoiled with a greater range of exercise possibilities than in our existence and has never been more accessible or convenient.

Not being able to temporarily go to gyms, pubs and cinemas is really not a big deal in the scheme of things. Our grandparents endured the Blitz, rationing etc...

24 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m prepared to sacrifice the likes of Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar if there is no travel from the US in favour of more homegrown bands. If US travel is off the cards then Elton may be available if his tour is put back again and possibly even Fleetwood Mac but I don’t think we’ll be that lucky. 

Last time I watched one of those 'everyone in Fleetwood Mac has sex with each other' documentaries, Mick Fleetwood was living in the Bahamas. Think John McV was too.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

why not?

You should have been vaccinated by then, so the personal risks would be very low.

I think personally from a mental point of view I would struggle being that close to so many people after all of this has happened.

I also still remain cautious that over 18s will be vaccinated by the summer, or even be offered a vaccine at all. So I remain cautious about the vaccine timeline as the vulnerable are much more important than me and I expect it could take a bit longer than anticipated.

49 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Today’s announcement of yet more good news on the vaccines should be an incentive to stay safe for just a little longer. We are so close now to getting our holidays, festivals etc next year it would be crazy to spoil that just for five days of scenes like those witnessed when the first lockdown stopped. Just my opinion, others may disagree. 

Totally agree.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Could not agree more.

Exercise is about improving health and we are spoiled with a greater range of exercise possibilities than in our existence and has never been more accessible or convenient.

Not being able to temporarily go to gyms, pubs and cinemas is really not a big deal in the scheme of things. Our grandparents endured the Blitz, rationing etc...

In an ideal world - but the economy...

Just now, steviewevie said:

Totally agree.

Yes, 100% on the danger of re-opening for a Christmas party binge.

In Spain they have pre-announced a 9pm curfew until January i.e. all pubs and bars will be closed at the time people tend to drop their guard most and infections more likely.

It's a mistake not to do something similar in the UK. 

By all means pubs open more in the daytime when people aren't as pissed and you can ventilate more but this plan is asking for trouble. 

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I think personally from a mental point of view I would struggle being that close to so many people after all of this has happened.

I think this is an interesting point. I’m not really one for big crowds or events anyway, though music festivals and gigs have always been an exception, but I’ve become so used to not being around many people and social distancing that being in amongst thousands of people again will feel really strange. 

It certainly won’t affect my summer plans (Primavera and Glastonbury) if they can happen but I think going from a year of isolation and lockdowns to a normal summer would be a struggle for some people. 

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I get what you mean, but I think those sorts of feelings will ease off quite quickly on the other side of the vaccine.

If you think back to the end of the first lockdown the first few weeks were relatively quiet, but after people had ventured out a few times they felt much more relaxed about it.

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I also still remain cautious that over 18s will be vaccinated by the summer, or even be offered a vaccine at all. So I remain cautious about the vaccine timeline as the vulnerable are much more important than me and I expect it could take a bit longer than anticipated.

I'd say the vulnerable are the easy part as they're already identified and very used to a rapid vaccination process. I reckon if the process is going to go tits-up it'll be dealing with the other groups.

I think the main issue to mess up the timescale is vaccine delivery - but if Handcock is saying by around Easter then I presume he's working from what the vaccine companies say they'll be able to supply to the UK.

AstraZeneca will have 200m doses of its candidate vaccine developed by the University of Oxford by the end of 2020, with 700m ready globally by the end of the first quarter of 2021, operations executive Pam Cheng has said.

Cheng told a briefing that there would be 20m doses in the UK by the end of the year, with 70m more for the UK by the end of March that year.

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yes, 100% on the danger of re-opening for a Christmas party binge.

In Spain they have pre-announced a 9pm curfew until January i.e. all pubs and bars will be closed at the time people tend to drop their guard most and infections more likely.

It's a mistake not to do something similar in the UK. 

By all means pubs open more in the daytime when people aren't as pissed and you can ventilate more but this plan is asking for trouble. 

That's pretty extreme - last time I checked they don't have lunch until 9.30pm in Spain.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Have you not seen the infection rates dropping? 

That's because of these 'economy-denting' measures.

We owe it to our old people not to kill them. We'll all be old too one day...

In an ideal world yeah, and I've been sticking to the rules. But they are going to have to open some stuff up to aid the economy and, if they are, I can see why something that aids people's physical and mental health might as well be nearer the front of the queue.

Although I personally would be happier if they let us start playing outdoor team sports (more enjoyable and less risk).

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I get what you mean, but I think those sorts of feelings will ease off quite quickly on the other side of the vaccine.

If you think back to the end of the first lockdown the first few weeks were relatively quiet, but after people had ventured out a few times they felt much more relaxed about it.

Exactly, most people felt much more relaxed and let down their guard after restrictions were eased but I never felt like that. If someone has come too close to me or not had their mask on it’s made me extremely uncomfortable this entire period. 😕

When this is all over, I’d like to think that I won’t have to worry about people getting too close and that element of claustrophobia remaining, but i think it’s going to take me a while to phase out of that sort of thing and from next summer I’m going to need to start building up my confidence again slowly. Starting with basic things such as going out to eat or to a Cinema, rather than plunging in head first with a festival with hundreds of thousands of people with poor hygiene...

Thats just how this whole situation has affected me, I appreciate other people aren’t in the same situation as me though but I just don’t think at this moment in time festivals will be part of my routine for next year like they normally are.

As for the timeline, I think it will be delayed. The german health minister has come out and said today that he hopes that vaccinations will start next month but not everyone will be done until end of 2021. They are setting up like 50 vaccination centres across the country and getting military support- and we know how efficient Germans normally are with things. So if they aren’t expecting a wider rollout to the general population until the end of next year I’m surprised Matt Hancock thinks everyone in the uk can be done by Easter. Hence why I remain cautious. Vulnerable are most important, let’s get them all done by March-May. And worry about everyone else after that. I just don’t want us to get ahead of ourselves as a country (like with this Christmas saga) so close to the finish line.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But i dont think countries are going to wait to vaccinate evryone before reopening the economy anyway

Nope, and in theory they don’t really need to. If the extremely vulnerable and elderly are vaccinated by end of Jan for example, then there is no real reason things can’t begin to open back up is there? We know the virus won’t go away, but as long as transmission isn’t getting through to those most at risk and in turn overrunning the NHS, then I would think they will be open to allowing the slow rebuild on the economy to begin as soon as possible. Every month of Government support is extra £xbn’s to add to the debt list. 

Absolute pie in the sky nonsense to think we’ll be waiting for all to be vaccinated before the rules are gone.

I reckon we could see a significant relaxation around the end of January when the most vulnerable are vaccinated, perhaps back to July/August type rules. Then by Easter social distancing will be rightfully confined to the bin. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Reckon we’ll have the tier system in place until the end of March (sans 23/12-28/12) but by the end of January, everywhere will be in tier 1. Perhaps there might even be a more relaxed tier 0. 

If the deaths and hospitalizations are low, i agree with this. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Absolute pie in the sky nonsense to think we’ll be waiting for all to be vaccinated before the rules are gone.

I reckon we could see a significant relaxation around the end of January when the most vulnerable are vaccinated, perhaps back to July/August type rules. Then by Easter social distancing will be rightfully confined to the bin. 

I reckon end of Feb just because of the two dose thing but all sounds about right