When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

30 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

So, surely jab the most vulnerable/key workers with the 90%+ ones and the rest of us to get the Oxford one?

Or is that too simple?

I reckon that's what they'd like to do, but managing to do it like that would be dependent on vaccine supplies - as it's probably better to get the oldies vaccinated with something rather than have to wait.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, it's not going to be enforced at all...so it's just up to people to follow guidelines as much as they can....obviously not everyone will be able to, and also obviously some will just ignore the guidelines whilst singing fuck you I won't do what you tell me.

I agree that is what will happen, I'm not sure there is really a workable plan with our current testing capacity but this one seems particularly involved and therefore going to be ignored how do you know who the other members of your household have met up with, if they just told everyone you can meet X other households(1?) as an individual in a short period would surely be simpler and more likely to be followed, its probably too many households doing that but I'd like to see the numbers.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:03 AM, eFestivals said:

my part of Bristol is currently showing as having a covid rate 1,050 per 100,000 on the covid interactive map. :blink: 

amazing how quickly these change on a very-local level. My area of Bristol is now down to 883, and most Bristol areas are now on a downward

(from the map, with data up-to 17th Nov)

Speculating about a timescale for the vaccine’s rollout in the UK, Hancock has said the “bulk” will be in the new year, with the hope that “things will be able to start to get back to normal” after Easter. He told BBC Breakfast:

It is subject to that regulatory approval and I really stress that because the medicines regulator, it’s called the MHRA, is independent, they’re rigorous, they’re one of the best regulators in the world.

They will be very, very careful to ensure that they look at all the data to make sure that this is safe.

Subject to that approval, we hope to be able to start vaccinating next month. The bulk of the vaccine rollout programme will be in January, February, March and we hope that sometime, after Easter, things will be able to start to get back to normal.

Not a fan of how the Oxford vaccine is being reported - why are some of the headlines mentioning the one dose effectiveness, when both other vaccines announced so far only mention the two vaccine effectiveness? And when compared fairly, the effectiveness is pretty much the same as the others isn’t it (around 90%)?

Guess it’s the case of typical British attitude in the press of trying to sensationalise things again, and make it look like the UK produced Oxford vaccine isn’t quite the success it should really be reported as. 

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Not a fan of how the Oxford vaccine is being reported - why are some of the headlines mentioning the one dose effectiveness, when both other vaccines announced so far only mention the two vaccine effectiveness? And when compared fairly, the effectiveness is pretty much the same as the others isn’t it (around 90%)?

Guess it’s the case of typical British attitude in the press of trying to sensationalise things again, and make it look like the UK produced Oxford vaccine isn’t quite the success it should really be reported as. 

I don’t think so, the media will jump in this and hammer it home that we have a vaccine coming. It’s probably just that the initial press notice had the main headline of 70% effective which is true, then when more came out we got the additional news. It’s when you dig down into the story you see the fuller picture. 

If anything they’ve done the opposite of sensationalising the story.

Edited by Ozanne

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think so, the media will jump in this and hammer it home that we have a vaccine coming. It’s probably just that the initial press notice had the main headline of 70% effective which is true, then when more came out we got the additional news. It’s when you dig down into the story you see the fuller picture. 

Hope so, but a lot of people rely on the BBC headlines for their news - I just don’t understand how the two major news outlets in this country (them and Sky) can have such contrasting headlines on what is potentially the biggest news headline this year:

27EFA94C-A299-4808-BFE3-15F1A4B78C0B.thumb.jpeg.bfbad291902ecc3c21024ff544e83285.jpeg

52E1318A-E4BE-4C41-A6EF-3E43681E7301.thumb.jpeg.b3990dbebf61a75ca214576f82242e40.jpeg

Edited by st dan

direct from the oxford bods to other oxford bods...

The results to date suggest a composite efficacy rate of 70%: 90% for people who receive two doses of the vaccine; a half dose followed by a full dose. For people who receive two full doses of the vaccine the efficacy rate is 60%.

Edited by eFestivals

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

Hope so, but a lot of people rely on the BBC headlines for their news - I just don’t understand how the two major news outlets in this country (them and Sky) can have such contrasting headlines on what is potentially the biggest news headline this year:

27EFA94C-A299-4808-BFE3-15F1A4B78C0B.thumb.jpeg.bfbad291902ecc3c21024ff544e83285.jpeg

52E1318A-E4BE-4C41-A6EF-3E43681E7301.thumb.jpeg.b3990dbebf61a75ca214576f82242e40.jpeg

it's just which headline is closer to the truth. Hard to summarise findings in one headline...but better to be as honest as possible at this point.

In BBC is says...

There is also intriguing data that suggests perfecting the dose could increase protection up to 90%.

Sky says...

When all the results are tabulated, the average efficacy of the vaccine works out to 70%.

20 minutes ago, st dan said:

I meant the answer to this is that people should spend a bit of time reading the important articles, if they just go by headlines then they are kind of asking to be mislead slightly. 

I work at Oxford Uni and the vice-chancellor has sent out a glowing email to all staff this morning....

Dear Colleagues and Students, 

Today is the day we – and people all over the globe – have been waiting for. The day when we would learn the results of the phase III trial of the Oxford Vaccine, ChadOx (ChAdOx1 nCoV-2019).

The results to date suggest a composite efficacy rate of 70%: 90% for people who receive two doses of the vaccine; a half dose followed by a full dose. For people who receive two full doses of the vaccine the efficacy rate is 60%. None of those who received the vaccine became seriously ill or required hospitalization. Vast reams of safety data have been gathered which attest to the safety of the vaccine. 

This is wonderful news as the vaccine, developed jointly with AstraZeneca, will be available at low cost all over the world. It is the result of a global effort with Oxford at the hub. Our colleagues in Thailand, Kenya and Vietnam working on infectious disease have contributed to the research that made this possible. Partners in Brazil and South Africa have been conducting trials of the vaccine which have been integral to this result. Generous foundations and funding agencies in the UK, Europe and the US, along with private individuals, have invested in this research, and partners like the Serum Institute of India will be manufacturing the vaccine at scale for the developing world. Today’s result also demonstrates what can be achieved in the UK when universities, the Government and the private sector are aligned and working together towards a common goal. 

Above all, I would like, on behalf of all of us, to express my appreciation and admiration of the work of Professors Andrew Pollard, Adrian Hill and Sarah Gilbert and the 280 members of their teams who have been working seven days a week since January to get us to this point. 

On March 23rd, eight months ago today, I wrote to you announcing that we were effectively shutting down the university except for essential research. It is truly extraordinary what has been achieved in this time. Clearly, putting our brainpower in service to society is what we do best. 

I know that this has been a very difficult eight months for many of us, students and staff alike. While today’s news shows a bright light at the end of the tunnel, we still have some difficult times ahead. It is not yet time to relax, to travel and socialize or to mourn properly those we have lost. Colleagues across the collegiate university are working hard to ensure that we will be able to offer two lateral flow tests to all students in 8th week so that you can safely travel home for Christmas confident that you will not be endangering the health of your family and friends. 

Today’s news brings closer the day when people all over the world will have access to a safe, effective and affordable vaccine against COVID-19. I hope that, like me, you feel an enormous sense of pride in being part of the university that has made this possible. 

Yours sincerely, 

Louise Richardson 

Vice-Chancellor 

• Upvote 8