When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Absolutely insane they’re going to relax restrictions after having a month long lockdown whilst knowing this will lead into another lockdown. Can we not just write this year off and try to kick on and get out of this ASAP next year? 🤦‍♂️ 

• Upvote 2

I get the argument about more deaths but not the 1 week for 1 month argument. Fair enough if it was in summer but..

You get Christmas week and have to give January.
Surely lockdown isnt so different to a normal january? You won’t even have to go through that annual new year new me gym charade- the perfect excuse. Decent swap imo!

Has it crossed anyone else's mind that the now planned lockdown in January could be to blame the effects of no deal Brexit on the virus/lockdown and therefore people for wanting Christmas? 

Or wishful thinking here - to stop the hard brexit lot rioting when they have a very soft Brexit happen, announced just before new year? 

With 5-6 weeks from now if we had a normal month we'd probably have numbers down to good levels to reopen around then but if there are to be shortages (in choice- I doubt people will starve) there will be some very angry people. Similarly if leave voters feel like they've been had 

Edited by efcfanwirral

11 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Solid numbers from Manchester tier 2 looks possible 1_Infections-rates-22112020.jpg

Trafford below the national average and Stockport below yesterday's national average.

Although I could cope with another couple of weeks of tier 3. Can't we wait until the really vulnerable have been vaccinated before mingling again? We'll struggle to get under 100 by the end of lockdown.

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Has it crossed anyone else's mind that the now planned lockdown in January could be to blame the effects of no deal Brexit on the virus/lockdown and therefore people for wanting Christmas? 

Or wishful thinking here - to stop the hard brexit lot rioting when they have a very soft Brexit happen, announced just before new year? 

With 5-6 weeks from now if we had a normal month we'd probably have numbers down to good levels to reopen around then but if there are to be shortages (in choice- I doubt people will starve) there will be some very angry people. Similarly if leave voters feel like they've been had 

I'm thinking a lockdown reduces the economic activity, meaning there will be less cross border activity happening, a bit like when a software service has a soft launch.

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think they will extend the transition whilst they are negotiating (just like they have done with Canada which is not a permanent they are selling, it's just a tick over) and of course they are going to use Covid as an excuse to cover up the Brexit impact/shitstorm :(  

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Trafford below the national average and Stockport below yesterday's national average.

Although I could cope with another couple of weeks of tier 3. Can't we wait until the really vulnerable have been vaccinated before mingling again? We'll struggle to get under 100 by the end of lockdown.

I could cope with another few weeks (months even)in tier 3, quite a few business would be very close to the end. 

2 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I think they will extend the transition whilst they are negotiating (just like they have done with Canada which is not a permanent they are selling, it's just a tick over) and of course they are going to use Covid as an excuse to cover up the Brexit impact/shitstorm :(  

Extension would be a scenario I could see the leave lot rioting. Subverting democracy etc etc. I hope it's what happens (the extension not the rioting)- I know we do have to leave but during a pandemic isn't the time 

Edited by efcfanwirral

We’d only be locking down in January because of the relaxed restrictions for the Christmas period. If we kept restrictions in place then it’s likely we wouldn’t need to lockdown in January and we can all enjoy more of life instead of being locked down for a month. I still go out and do things in January; many others do as well. 

I wonder if the people you see on social media that kick off when lockdowns are announced but yet want Christmas, will be supportive of a Jan lockdown or still kick off when/if that gets announced? Having their cake and eating it too. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We’d only be locking down in January because of the relaxed restrictions for the Christmas period. If we kept restrictions in place then it’s likely we wouldn’t need to lockdown in January and we can all enjoy more of life instead of being locked down for a month. I still go out and do things in January; many others do as well. 

I wonder if the people you see on social media that kick off when lockdowns are announced but yet want Christmas, will be supportive of a Jan lockdown or still kick off when/if that gets announced? Having their cake and eating it too. 

Will it definitely mean another lockdown though, or tighter tier restrictions? Although I guess whatever they call it will be the same thing. 

7 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I could cope with another few weeks (months even)in tier 3, quite a few business would be very close to the end. 

Let's hope they announce extra support for businesses+freelancers tomorrow along with a tightened tier system. They can even limit it for a month, month and a half. Very soon those case numbers will not translate to deaths in the same way, the cavalry are coming, you can practically hear their hooves! 

3 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Will it definitely mean another lockdown though, or tighter tier restrictions? Although I guess whatever they call it will be the same thing. 

I was kinda grouping it into one, I would guess though it would be a lockdown similar to this one we are in now. 

37 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I get the argument about more deaths but not the 1 week for 1 month argument. Fair enough if it was in summer but..

Surely lockdown isnt so different to a normal january? You won’t even have to go through that annual new year new me gym charade- the perfect excuse. Decent swap imo!

If you can overlook the additional unnecessary mass death and mass loss of livelihoods, then it's the same yeah.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Surely gym/health is better than mince pies and gallons of booze? (Better for public health, not just like in general better because clearly being healthy is awful and eating loads and getting drunk is great) 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Exactly - most people are going to be under some sort of restrictions with or without some Xmas relaxation. 

We have another month of this lock down and more ridged tiers could be a very different picture closer to Xmas. 

Is the Xmas relaxation actually going to extend the restrictions or more realistically were there going to be restrictions in January anyway?  How many of you so opposed to people seeing family at Xmas were in Tier 1 until three weeks ago? Perhaps the enhanced restriction novelty hasn't worn off yet.

I can't see anything other than severe restrictions in January anyway so I'd quite like a few days to enjoy. 

I

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

2 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Surely gym/health is better than mince pies and gallons of booze? (Better for public health, not just like in general better because clearly being healthy is awful and eating loads and getting drunk is great) 

Good point. There is a desire for gyms to be reopened which probably wouldn’t in a Jan lockdown. 

The shops will be rammed with people getting Christmas food and presents beforehand, many not wearing masks, leading to a high risk of getting infected and then passing the virus on to their loved ones. It's all such a stupid, dangerous risk...

• Upvote 1