When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, I realised as the conversation moved on that I had the wrong end of the stick!

I'm still not clear which it is, though! Do they mean four households at a time (on actual Christmas Day presumably) or four throughout the period? I guess it will be clarified tomorrow. As much as these things ever are.

41 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I find it strange the mentality of people are just going to break the rules anyway so we might as well relax the rules. That’s like saying people are going to illegally download media so we might as well allow them to do it. It’s about messaging and explaining to people why these measures are in place. 

Lots of people did used to download media illegally. The content owners gave up trying to prosecute and put their efforts into making their own services more user friendly. 

Now nobody is required to pay high CD or DVD prices and can access lots of content easily for a few quid a month. 

A similar compromise is happening with these new restrictions. 

Of course, that analogy falls down because the end results are very different, but we are where we are. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Is it Johnson tomorrow do we know? Oh wait he is still isolating...

He’s isolating untill the 26th ... but no reason he can’t do it remotely like PMQs ? .... I just reckon he will squirm and get lots of the answers wrong around restrictions ... mind you I think Matt Hancock is likely to do similar 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

He’s isolating untill the 26th ... but no reason he can’t do it remotely like PMQs ? .... I just reckon he will squirm and get lots of the answers wrong around restrictions ... mind you I think Matt Hancock is likely to do similar 

If he is announcing that people can have their Christmases back I'm sure Johnson will want to take all the credit.

8 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Having told you repeatedly that I don't question Israel's right to exist, there's nothing more I can add.

You've changed my words.  I specifically called Zionism irrational.  I’ve already explained why I think that, in terms of magic iron age books, but I’ll try to put it another way: “Sorry chaps, we’ve decided that it’s time that the worldwide disaspora of Celts and Druids finally get reparation for the Romans kicking them out so we’re re-homing them in the South West of England.  Let us know if you need any help with packing.”  You’re now going to pull me up for being facetious, but the true story is even more batshit-crazy than that:

If there ever was a historical Jesus, he was just a revolutionary Jew who was executed for opposing the Roman occupation.  After his death, his following evolved from radical anti-Roman ideology to a religion.  200 years later, in order to make this new religion palatable to the Romans, a bullshit story was added to the texts whereby the Romans didn’t want to execute God, but the Jews demanded it - even choosing to release a mass murderer rather than Jesus.  (In case anyone didn’t get the message, they even had these fictitious, comedy Jews wailing ‘this stain will be upon us for the rest of history.’)  This worked - Rome became Christian, and the Jews were now set up for exiles, pogroms, ghettos, Spanish Inquisition and the Holocaust. Throughout these 1700 years of brutality, Islamic countries were the most reliable refuges for the Jews, as they don’t accept the New Testament so don’t have that scriptural justification for antisemitism.

So… Muslims: generally okay with the Jews; Christians: not so much.  Then how did we end up with Christian countries paving the path to the creation of Israel with the Balfour declaration?  Turns out Balfour and Lloyd George were Christian fundamentalists, who believed the Jews returning to Jerusalem was a necessary first step before Armageddon and the second coming of Christ.  Prior to the fundamentalist Christians getting involved, ‘Zionism’ was just the Hebrew belief in the eventual coming of the Messiah - not a movement to physically repatriate Jews to their home of 2000 years ago.

I agree that Israel has a right to exist for pragmatic, rational reasons - I.e. the wars have been fought, the evictees are mostly dead, and the bodies are already in the ground - to try to reverse that would only result in more bloodshed.  However, the whole world opposes the continued illegal settlement process, as it pours petrol on the situation.  The only reason it continues is that the Zionist settlers believe they’re part of something which is greater than international law, and they’re supported by Christian fundamentalists in the US who’re still hoping for Armageddon.

If any of the above sounds in any way rational, you’ve got better eyesight than me.  If you do look at the link I’ve included above, click on the ‘about’ tab - that organisation's viewpoint on Israel/Palestine are exactly the same as mine.

All very nice, but Zionism was coined 150-ish years ago, as an idea for a homeland (not necessarily displacing anyone).

The religious crock of shit is religious shit. Who knew religious books are mental?

You don't hold all Muslim states to the verbatim word of their book, or Christian states to theirs. Etc.

Its not Zionists seizing land, it's the Israeli govt.

So when you treat one group differently, guess what?

Edited by eFestivals

43 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

All this talk of undoing all the good of the lockdown and the condemnation of loads of people to death forgets one important thing.

There is another 20 days of a tighter tiered lock down - this should continue to lower number of infected people meaning that by the time a relaxation happens the number of people with Covid in the community should be relatively low - and people with symptoms, positive tests or isolating should still be isolating. If pubs and things are open it's not going to be a free for all like a normal Xmas there will still be restrictions in place not making a trip to the pub unsafe as such. 

Let's see how tight these additional tighter tiers are going to be before unleashing the grim reaper.

That's a good point. If Manchester continues the way it has until Christmas, then the numbers won't be so high that a few days of mixing probably won't get the numbers higher than they are now. That's not a high bar, admittedly.

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Johnson will update Parliament virtually, it also has to be voted through at some stage which looks a bit more tricky. 

The new tier system? I imagine labour will help vote it through. It'll be bad party management for the Tories but who cares!

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

How many on here are actually planning not to see family at all over Christmas, out of interest? @crazyfool1 and @Ozanne but anyone else? Or are people waiting to see what happens?

We're not as all my family were told over the summer that we wouldn't be visiting anytime soon..

We generally spend Christmas at home anyway and visit both sides of the family either before or after Christmas. 

I last saw my family early Jan and I last saw my friends 14th March, I'll and they'll survive for a bit longer as seem to talk to every one more now via Skype or zoom than I did before!!

I do miss gigs and festivals though, my FB memories keeps torturing me reminding me it's peak gig season at moment and I was at a gig in previous years  :(

31 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The new tier system? I imagine labour will help vote it through. It'll be bad party management for the Tories but who cares!

You should care, a government with an 80 seat majority has to rely on the opposition to key policy through. That’s a complete shambles. 

14 minutes ago, jparx said:

Insanity. They’re afraid of the public reaction. This is all because Boris doesn’t want to be mocked up as the Grinch in the Sun. 

Surely people can see the extra element of risk here and think whilst it might suck it’s probably best to have a low key affair for this year?

I hope that people who are all for these relaxed restrictions will be supportive of the pending January lockdown/tighter restrictions when they come in. 

Edited by Ozanne