When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I work in a NHS mental health trust, which is planning to bring in Covid home test for all staff in the next few weeks and is also hoping  to be vaccinating staff in January, there is a light at the end of this very dark and miserable tunnel.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe now Cain and Cummngs are gone the plans for December into January will not get leaked to the press and Johnson can announce in parliament on Monday and at a Downing St briefing later in the day. Keep the backbenchers happy etc.

They’ve already been leaked looking at the news this morning :lol:

If the tiers are being toughened up (which they probably should) then I don't think my life is going to feel much different from December 2nd. If the gym reopens I'll go back but other than that I think we'll stay pretty locked down. And I can definitely see the argument for keeping that closed too (I've managed to exercise pretty successfully at home during both lockdowns, but mainly because I do classes which are fairly easy to do from home). 

Really don't know what to do for the best re Christmas though. Main issue for us is public transport as I think hire cars will be even more expensive than they were back in summer. If the trains are normal levels of busy I don't know how great I feel about getting one to either of our sets of parents :(

Also a week is a pretty short time to get to see everyone in. If we get trains to and from one set and then either back home or straight to the other we will be coming into contact with more people than we have for the past two months or more in the space of a few days.

Don't know what the answer is really. Will see what Johnson says tomorrow and then try to come to some kind of decision about it all.

I think deep down I feel like it's quite a lot of risk to take when the vaccine is so close. If it wasn't for the public transport issue I think I'd feel happier about it.

Just my thoughts: not judging anyone else as I know these choices are tough and personal to all. 

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

If the tiers are being toughened up (which they probably should) then I don't think my life is going to feel much different from December 2nd. If the gym reopens I'll go back but other than that I think we'll stay pretty locked down. And I can definitely see the argument for keeping that closed too (I've managed to exercise pretty successfully at home during both lockdowns, but mainly because I do classes which are fairly easy to do from home). 

Really don't know what to do for the best re Christmas though. Main issue for us is public transport as I think hire cars will be even more expensive than they were back in summer. If the trains are normal levels of busy I don't know how great I feel about getting one to either of our sets of parents :(

Also a week is a pretty short time to get to see everyone in. If we get trains to and from one set and then either back home or straight to the other we will be coming into contact with more people than we have for the past two months or more in the space of a few days.

Don't know what the answer is really. Will see what Johnson says tomorrow and then try to come to some kind of decision about it all.

I think deep down I feel like it's quite a lot of risk to take when the vaccine is so close. If it wasn't for the public transport issue I think I'd feel happier about it.

Just my thoughts: not judging anyone else as I know these choices are tough and personal to all. 

Absolutely ...  I’m hoping for more news ref vaccine an rollout timetable ... hopefully some definate dates for my parents at least ... then we can work on a postponement of Christmas 🎄 which we sometimes have to do slightly later anyway due to working over xmas 

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Do your parents drive? Could have them visit you? 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Do your parents drive? Could have them visit you? 

They do yes. It's a bit of a longer drive than my dad wants to do these days, but it's an option we are considering - basically telling everyone they will have to come to us! Our flat is small though so any meaningful attempt at social distancing is pretty much out of the window if we do that.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They do yes. It's a bit of a longer drive than my dad wants to do these days, but it's an option we are considering - basically telling everyone they will have to come to us! Our flat is small though so any meaningful attempt at social distancing is pretty much out of the window if we do that.

The alternative would be to have them drive to pick you up and then drive back to there’s. Might be too much for your dad though. Plus if you car share with them, that would negate any benefit of socially distancing when you get there anyway, so may as well just host them at that point. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The alternative would be to have them drive to pick you up and then drive back to there’s. Might be too much for your dad though. Plus if you car share with them, that would negate any benefit of socially distancing when you get there anyway, so may as well just host them at that point. 

Yeah true. We actually won't see my parents on Christmas Day itself anyway as we saw them last year so were planning to see my partner's parents on the day and mine a bit later on. They would likely happily drive down but would probably mean having his brother and partner too, who come from much further away. There is so much more space at his parents' place though that it seems a bit ridiculous to do that. 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think what I find difficult is that there is no safe way to do it, so basically you have to choose between taking a risk and not. Which is an assessment everyone will have to make for themselves. Will probably end up being led by what the rest of the family want to do in reality. 

How about a test like @Fuzzy Afro is taking ... might remove some of the worry around it ? 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

How about a test like @Fuzzy Afro is taking ... might remove some of the worry around it ? 

Yep me and Miss Afro are flying up to Glasgow on Christmas Eve so our plan is to dramatically reduce our contacts from the 10th onwards (albeit she can’t WFH so we can’t go down to zero, but may as well minimise risk) and then take a private test around the 20th. Obviously there’s a small risk that (a) We could catch it on the 8th/9th and still be incubating or (b) we catch it on the plane. But at that point the risk is so small that I don’t think we would be beating ourselves up over it. 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah maybe. As I say it's public transport that worries me really and any test would be done before travel so it wouldn't really solve that bit. If we can avoid trains etc then quite a lot of the worry would be gone for me as we don't really get exposed to many people in our day to day.

I'm not big on Christmas and would happily spend it at home, just the two of us. It's more just trying to please everyone else really. Some conversations to be had! 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yep me and Miss Afro are flying up to Glasgow on Christmas Eve so our plan is to dramatically reduce our contacts from the 10th onwards (albeit she can’t WFH so we can’t go down to zero, but may as well minimise risk) and then take a private test around the 20th. Obviously there’s a small risk that (a) We could catch it on the 8th/9th and still be incubating or (b) we catch it on the plane. But at that point the risk is so small that I don’t think we would be beating ourselves up over it. 

What test were u looking at ? And what’s the current cost ? Might help a few people on here to make some decisions based on lowering risk and finances 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What test were u looking at ? And what’s the current cost ? Might help a few people on here to make some decisions based on lowering risk and finances 

I have private medical insurance through work and they offer their members covid swab testing for about £100. And then for my other half, her employers have kindly offered to pay for their staff to take a test before they finish for the Christmas break (her company always shuts down for two weeks, so they’re having someone come in to do tests a few days before it closes) 

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

So, we’re Theme Parks shut under Tier 3?! Really can’t remember.   Meant to be going to the LEGOLAND Christmas thing but pretty sure us in Kent will be in the top tier

Hi I work in a theme park (not LEGOLAND though) and they weren’t shut under tier 3.

I was thinking initially that we wouldn’t reopen in December but after last night’s leak I’m pretty confident we will be given only “wet pubs” and bookies seem to be affected by the strictest measures.

That being said though, I hope we toughen up our covid rules. Before we shut for lockdown it was chaos and most people were not respecting rule of 6 or social distancing, so we need to toughen up on those, and just something to be mindful of if you do go to Legoland this Christmas! :)

• Upvote 1