When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry to ask a stupid question but what type of things are included in reopening costs?

For us they're reasonably modest; a few supplies for breakfasts and clean sheets and towels etc that we use a third party for.  But we're a small, two person operation who live where we work, so we can be nimble about this sort of thing.  Our main expense will be the time it takes to get our place customer ready re cleaning etc.

If you're a bigger organisation with many staff and requiring a good stock of fresh food etc then it gets much more complex.  And our suppliers have their own issues, getting staff back in to supply everyone on the same day, though the experience of this year will stand them in good stead.  Though to do all this for just 6 days or so of business is.. strange.

One big issue, which will surprise nobody, is the piss poor communication from the government.  We all accept that these are tricky times to navigate, but we get no more notice than anybody else about what's going to happen, or when we can reopen so we can get our ducks in a row.  So, for example, we know this lockdown ends on December 2nd, but we don't know what comes next - will it be tiers again (which has its own set of issues), a full reopen, some new restrictions we've not had before, or more full lockdown.  It makes planning very hard!

I'd be happy, from a business perspective, if they just said close until easter or something, because that way we would actually know what we're doing (or not doing).  It's the uncertainty that's tricky.  This government are completely reactive.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Why can't you play 5 a side football?

Why aren't spa's open? 

Why can't you play tennis or golf? 

It's just such a random thing to include. 

I think it's because certain stuff in a garden centre is essential if your growing your own vegetables or fruits, some people live hugely off their own gardens. Then there's people with allotments, farmers may need to get stuff from a garden centre to work, I think there's a more essential reason their open than just for hobby gardening

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We won't know how long the immunity from the vaccines last until can actually test if people still have immunity...right? So, 2021 will be like a continuous experiment with these new vaccines. We won't know if someone vaccinated in January will necessarily still have immunity in June?

We've got the data from the phase 2 and 3 trials, they've got at least 5 months of data. The mass vaccinations will help expand that data set as well.

24 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Why can't you play 5 a side football?

Why aren't spa's open? 

Why can't you play tennis or golf? 

It's just such a random thing to include. 

My Mum's 83.....she's not really into spa's and 5-a-side.  Likes a good compost though.

1 hour ago, ace56blaa said:

I think it's because certain stuff in a garden centre is essential if your growing your own vegetables or fruits, some people live hugely off their own gardens. Then there's people with allotments, farmers may need to get stuff from a garden centre to work, I think there's a more essential reason their open than just for hobby gardening

Garden centres also have large floor space so it’s easier to social distance.

4 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/21/christmas-plans-to-allow-families-to-mix-to-be-announced-next-week-13631748/

Everything stays shut until 22nd December then closing again 28th..?? Chancellor wants pubs and restaurants open from 22nd to 28th December along with household mixing. Statement coming Monday possibly.. 

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry for sounding like a broken record but I still think this isn’t the right course of action. I hope I’m wrong but having people being able to go to pubs/restaurants then have households mix at Christmas doesn’t sound like the wisest move. 

Its absolutely ridiculous. The end is in sight. Decisions being made around christmas. It's stupid at best and fucking negligent at worst. 

But people have had a hard year and need some release right? What's a few more deaths from Christmas and damaged businesses from a january lockdown? Nation of children

If this was any other time of the year it would be plain sailing to a vaccine but still this country manages to fuck it up. More blame on public than government on this one - government have been forced into it by people's stupidity 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Its absolutely ridiculous. The end is in sight. Decisions being made around christmas. It's stupid at best and fucking negligent at worst. 

But people have had a hard year and need some release right? What's a few more deaths from Christmas and damaged businesses from a january lockdown? Nation of children

If this was any other time of the year it would be plain sailing to a vaccine but still this country manages to fuck it up. More blame on public than government on this one - government have been forced into it by people's stupidity 

I agree with everything there apart from the government being forced on this. They are only in this position because of the chasm of leadership. They should’ve been out with the Christmas message from September, getting people on board and explaining why this year will be different. But they haven’t because they absolutely suck. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I agree with everything there apart from the government being forced on this. They are only in this position because of the chasm of leadership. They should’ve been out with the Christmas message from September, getting people on board and explaining why this year will be different. But they haven’t because they absolutely suck. 

Still far too much "I'll do whatever the fuck I want" 

But if it was a nation of sensible people the numbers would be low enough for all this not to be a problem...

The people I feel most sorry for are those who will lose family members over a holiday they don't even celebrate...

53 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Trafford now below yesterday's national average. I fucking love lockdowns*, never enjoyed seeing numbers drop so much.

* I am aware of the huge hardship caused by lockdowns and will be very glad when they're no longer needed.

0_nov-20-graph.jpg

0_Coronavirus-infection-rates211120.jpg

It's all part of the tough balancing act we all face now, yes lockdowns are successful in their aims but the cost of them are harsh too - as you say hopefully we have seen the back of them after this 

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Zionism and the Israeli govt are not the same thing. 

When you attack Zionism and blame it and not the Israeli govt for the policies of the Israeli govt, guess what..?

Cmon, you're a smart lad. To claim attacks from that angle are not tinged with AS is being deliberately obtuse, given the central tenet of Zionism is a Jewish homeland.

If you don't mean to attack the idea of an Israeli state you can chose to use different words and make all ambiguity go away along with the accusations that tend to come with that choice of words.

I agree that Zionism and the Israeli govt are two separate things - one's an ideology, the other's the Government.  I've never claimed the two are the same.  I've been attacking both of them on here, but for different reasons: the former for being irrational and the latter for breach of international law etc.  I'm happy to admit to attacking both and I'll still refute your claim that attacks on both or either (or even one masking as the other!) are tinged with antisemitism.

You've proposed using different words, and that's got to be the cue to introduce (Professor of Linguistics) Noam Chomsky.   He actually cites a key moment in history when the Israeli state adopted a deliberate policy of conflating the terms anti-Zionism with antisemitism.  In 1973, The right-wing Israeli Foreign Minister argued that "anti-Zionism is merely the new anti-Semitism" (because the previously pro-Israel left were wavering because of the illegal settlement process.)  I know we're never going to agree on this one, but rather than listen to a loud-mouth on a forum, you can hear the argument put better by Mr Chomsky himself.  (The question on antisemitism and the Labour party comes just before half-way down the article.)  The importance of what he's saying is that words are important: trying to expand the definition of antisemitism (or any other form of bigotry) to cover a political position is just a tactic to silence your political opponent.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Shows how hard this kind of science is. The fate of the entire world depends on the key question of whether asymptomatic carriers can spread the virus. And we're apparently still releasing large studies that are contradicting each other.

I thought this was settled already - in the opposite way to this study.