When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Jesus Christ that plan is abysmal. Surely that can’t be what they’ve been cooking up?

Shops and restaurants need to be open for the run up to Christmas if they’re going to get any benefit. If that can’t happen, just keep everything closed. 

Edited by jparx

54 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/21/christmas-plans-to-allow-families-to-mix-to-be-announced-next-week-13631748/

Everything stays shut until 22nd December then closing again 28th..?? Chancellor wants pubs and restaurants open from 22nd to 28th December along with household mixing. Statement coming Monday possibly.. 

As mentioned above, this is just daft.  We were planning to reopen on the 28th (we always close at Xmas as we don't do food and there are usually few options around here that do for 25th/26th), so I suppose I'll now be refunding the one booking I've taken since the end of summer who were due to come on NYE.

Our reopening costs are not huge, but the time in getting the whole place cleaned and ready are pretty big, plus delivery times for linens are going to be big as everyone will need supplies for the same date.  But we wouldn't open on those dates anyway, so it's moot I suppose.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-how-englands-lockdown-leak-created-surge-of-social-activity-that-may-have-spread-the-virus-12137501

Data showing a big spike in movement between the lockdown announcement and it coming into force. 

next time they should do it without any warning...like 1 minute to midnight on xmas eve.

19 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

As mentioned above, this is just daft.  We were planning to reopen on the 28th (we always close at Xmas as we don't do food and there are usually few options around here that do for 25th/26th), so I suppose I'll now be refunding the one booking I've taken since the end of summer who were due to come on NYE.

Our reopening costs are not huge, but the time in getting the whole place cleaned and ready are pretty big, plus delivery times for linens are going to be big as everyone will need supplies for the same date.  But we wouldn't open on those dates anyway, so it's moot I suppose.

Sorry to ask a stupid question but what type of things are included in reopening costs?

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

next time they should do it without any warning...like 1 minute to midnight on xmas eve.

They should do this with opening again, like the Glastonbury secret resales. Give people an incentive to go running so they're ready to leg it to their local.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

They should do this with opening again, like the Glastonbury secret resales. Give people an incentive to go running so they're ready to leg it to their local.

the people in our wetherspoons are probably already there .... they dont seem to move .... 

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-how-englands-lockdown-leak-created-surge-of-social-activity-that-may-have-spread-the-virus-12137501

Data showing a big spike in movement between the lockdown announcement and it coming into force. 

Purely anecdotal I know but I saw that happening before my eyes. We went from pretty quiet to almost full for those last couple of days. And completely full on the final night. The bookings started right after the announcement. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

no delay .....

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 16.03.47.png

Every time we do a lockdown it feels like the numbers won't come down. And then they always do. Yesterday wasn't a blip, I'm feeling confident to say we now have a nationwide downwards trend.

I know that's not happening everywhere, but they will, keep the faith.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

do you go to the gym ? have u ever been to the gym ? there is also lots that cant be done without .... It isn't quite so black and white ...... but overall at the moment I think they are best kept closed ..... its a choice yes .... but its a choice that prevents people exercising which is the point .... 

N, the point is that gyms being closed does not stop anyone exercising.

It is your choice to stop exercising.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Every time we do a lockdown it feels like the numbers won't come down. And then they always do. Yesterday wasn't a blip, I'm feeling confident to say we now have a nationwide downwards trend.

I know that's not happening everywhere, but they will, keep the faith.

yep and actually its far more important that the higher numbers areas drop off first ... thats going to cause the major issues with health services ... we have 12 days left of this lockdown and the infections will drop for a few days after that too i would think .... some positive signs there for sure :)   

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

A bit like the Tier 2 decision for Manchester on the eve of EID end of July, 9.30pm announcement via twitter by Hancock going into effect at midnight... 

This open for a week sounds nuts plan and what they doing about retail?

Edited by shoptildrop

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

N, the point is that gyms being closed does not stop anyone exercising.

It is your choice to stop exercising.

This is true to an extent if you are talking about exercising as a generic thing but there are activities that sit within it such as swimming that can’t be done at home.

It’s easy to say go out for a run but something like swimming which is non weight bearing is what some have to do by necessity due to injuries for instance.

I’m not bothered massively by gyms closing because I have been able to purchase my own equipment and can go outside to run but not everyone is in the same boat.

• Upvote 1