When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Apologies - passive aggressive tit-for-tat is way too tempting in an online handbag-battle.  For what it's worth, I don't think there was much danger of me convincing anyone you were on the far right.

Meanwhile, back at where we started, your attack included wording that can be rightfully regarded as an attack on the very idea of a state of Israel*. So it's no surprise that attacks like yours get called out as AS.

(* 'the very idea of Israel' is no different to 'the very idea of France' or Germany, or the UK. Ultimately their right to exist comes from their existence).

Because: zionism has no relevance to the actions of the Israeli govt. The Israeli govt are responsible for the Israeli govt, not zionism.

(and a claim of them acting for full-on zionism can be dismissed by the fact of past Israeli withdrawal from lands zionism lays claim to).

If you'd like to avoid verbal attacks on the actions of Israel being called out as AS, it's very easy and lets the Israeli's off nothing at all. 

my part of Bristol is currently showing as having a covid rate 1,050 per 100,000 on the covid interactive map. :blink: 

From clicking around it appears to be the highest rate in Bristol. It also appears to be higher than anywhere in Manc or Liverpool.

Does anyone know of anywhere with a higher rate?

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

my part of Bristol is currently showing as having a covid rate 1,050 per 100,000 on the covid interactive map. :blink: 

From clicking around it appears to be the highest rate in Bristol. It also appears to be higher than anywhere in Manc or Liverpool.

Does anyone know of anywhere with a higher rate?

Where is that?

I thought city centre was the highest last time I looked but assume that’s changed now.

Bishopston was also pretty high if I remember rightly.

I’m in Keynsham so in an odd position where we are BANES but work across Bristol and South Glos so might find I can’t actually go to work when we go back to a tiered system.

9 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Trump Jr tested positive for Covid

Also, Rudy's son who was at the crazy press conference where Rudy was melting has also tested positive

With faecal oral transmission a confirmed route, is this all a consequence of the desperate sycophancy in the White House? 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Is that on the rise of decline? Matt Hancock implied yesterday we were at the peak, if places are still rising then he might not be correct. 

from what's on the map it's saying a 60% increase in the previous 7 days for Bishopsworth - tho the data on the map is currently only up-to 15th Nov, so it might have fallen since then.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Andy Burnham is on BBC1. Is saying in future to make restrictions “evidence-based” (wild idea). Particularly shouted for gyms to reopen and the 10pm curfew to be scrapped (after the lockdown ends).

and yet there's no better evidence for gyms being safe than there is anything else. 

Everything tries to claim itself as safe, on the basis of having implemented the anti-covid rules. If they were as safe as they want to think themselves there'd be no current high rates of covid.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and yet there's no better evidence for gyms being safe than there is anything else. 

Everything tries to claim itself as safe, on the basis of having implemented the anti-covid rules. If they were as safe as they want to think themselves there'd be no current high rates of covid.

I thought that despite gyms seeming like they would be a hot bed of infection, there have been very few outbreaks linked to gyms. We do have quite a lot of evidence at this point, don't we?

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

from what's on the map it's saying a 60% increase in the previous 7 days for Bishopsworth - tho the data on the map is currently only up-to 15th Nov, so it might have fallen since then.

The government site says Bristol in general is up 83% (1,650 cases) up to Nov 20th so looks like they are still rising. I’m not entirely convinced we are at the plateau across the country Hancock says we are. 

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I thought that despite gyms seeming like they would be a hot bed of infection, there have been very few outbreaks linked to gyms. We do have quite a lot of evidence at this point, don't we?

and pubs say there's very few outbreaks linked to in pubs, and until the new lockdown there were very few outbreaks linked to supermarkets.

The reality is: the more contacts you allow people, the more outbreaks there are. And a gym is a place of contact just like a pub and just like a supermarket.

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The government site says Bristol in general is up 83% (1,650 cases) up to Nov 20th so looks like they are still rising. I’m not entirely convinced we are at the plateau across the country Hancock says we are. 

Bristol started it's rise a fair bit later (not until October, when students came back) than other 'big' places such as Liverpool and Manc, so it's lagging a bit behind.

The student areas are now falling back, but the students have spread it to the rest of the population so those areas are generally still rising.

Fingers crossed it'll start to fall back everywhere in Bristol in the next week or so.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Bristol started it's rise a fair bit later (not until October, when students came back) than other 'big' places such as Liverpool and Manc, so it's lagging a bit behind.

The student areas are now falling back, but the students have spread it to the rest of the population so those areas are generally still rising.

Fingers crossed it'll start to fall back everywhere in Bristol in the next week or so.

We could be in the same position that areas of the north were in the first lockdown, relax it too early etc. 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

gyms are really just a convenient way of getting a health benefit.

The health benefit can be got without needing gyms, so I don't really think they deserve special consideration on that basis.

Have to disagree there. Have you ever tried working out outside in the freezing pissing down rain or snow?  The health benefits of gyms are massive, not just physically but mentally. Gyms offer much better forms of exercise than you can get outside on your own or in the house, not to mention the mental well being from getting to the gym 

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Meanwhile...

I think you intended to alternate your points with quotes from me?  I'll respond as best I can:

I presume you were intending to quote me from our last debate back in June where I accepted I was biased against the state of Israel?  That was my open and honest confession that my jaded views on the Israeli state means I am susceptible to bullshit stories about it, just as Maxine Peake was.  We're all biased against lots of things - it doesn't mean that I question their right to exist.  I'm a pragmatist when it comes to Israel/Palestine.  The best solution is whatever produces a long-term, just, settlement.  Getting rid of Israel is the diametric opposite of that - i.e. it would be World War 3.

I genuinely don't know what you could have been quoting me on regarding the Israeli Govt. and Zionism.  I despise the current Israeli Govt but they're supposedly secular and I wouldn't have been accusing them of being Zionist.  They do use Zionists as pawns in the bigger political game - i.e. giving the green light to their illegal settlements.

I don't understand your last sentence out of context.  Yes, I think it's a dangerous situation when debate about the Israel/Palestine situation is being silenced by claims of antisemitism, however that won't stop me from wading through that treacle.  My point throughout this discussion is that I think Labour should have had the balls to do the same.

52 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I guess his point is that at the nationwide level, cases are falling. There will be some areas where they're rising still, but on average they're falling. I'm convinced the lockdown will be replaced with a stricter tier system where indoor household mixing is banned across the country and some areas (e.g. Bristol) remain in lockdown.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

gyms are really just a convenient way of getting a health benefit.

The health benefit can be got without needing gyms, so I don't really think they deserve special consideration on that basis.

My bath isn’t conducive to swimming ... I don’t know quite how it do 2k in that ? ... understand the general point but my gym closing has stopped my exercise altogether ... badminton outside isn’t much kop either ... so my exercise has stopped for a month