When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Who said Israeli can't be condemned for illegal settlements? Only you. :rolleyes:

Because the likes of you include attacks on Israel's want to exist and make criticisms against only one part of the problem you help enable Israel to escape the criticism it's due.

Presumably, this being your website, you know your way round the search function.  Do me a favour - have a look and find the post where I questioned Israel's right to exist.

(We all know you're too big a man to do apologies, but I'll take your failure to come back with said post as the nearest I'll get.)

• Downvote 1

"Professor Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, said today that he was 'optimistic' that the study would produce results showing how well it protects against Covid before Christmas. The following procedure for getting it licensed and then delivered to clinics, however, is 'not under our control' and could take weeks longer, he said, which would push the delivery into next year." 

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

"Professor Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, said today that he was 'optimistic' that the study would produce results showing how well it protects against Covid before Christmas. The following procedure for getting it licensed and then delivered to clinics, however, is 'not under our control' and could take weeks longer, he said, which would push the delivery into next year." 

whether it's before or after christmas...it is still great news.

Do we need to vaccinate 60-70% of the population for the herd immunity thing?

Edited by steviewevie

Just now, steviewevie said:

whether it's before or after christmas...it is still great news.

Do we need to vaccinate 60-70% of the population for restrictions for the herd immunity thing?

Agreed. 

Yeah, sort of. I'm pretty sure the Biontech guy said if you get to 60-70% before next Winter, it would end up being a normal one.

22 minutes ago, xxialac said:

These reads like their standard delay expectations stuff. Under promise, over deliver is the watch word of the vaccines group.

25 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Gilbert seems to be saying something different here.

20201119_223607.jpg

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

They are expecting to report their next set of results by Christmas.

That sounds absolutely like vaccinations next year to me. I mean, the year is almost over already!

But why would they need to vaccinate 66 million people as you said? Only a limited amount of people actually die from this thing.

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

But why would they need to vaccinate 66 million people as you said? Only a limited amount of people actually die from this thing.

As I understand it you'd either need to vaccinate all the vulnerable or about 70% of the general population to stop it having a significant impact on our health care system.

My wife went for some bloods last week, and the nurse was quite annoyed as she has had her leave in December cancelled. She has worked most of the year so needs a break. 

She was saying the issue is that after each jab the person will need to stick around for 20 min as that when the worst reactions are expected. 

so you need to ensure you have space for these people to wait, get jabbed then wait longer and also allow time to clean down the area where the person was. 

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's not like they can only vaccinate the 1% who get seriously ill.

Joking aside, there's encouraging noises around these vaccines having sterilising effects. If they do, we should crack on and vaccinate as many people as possible, to get to old herd immunityville.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not like they can only vaccinate the 1% who get seriously ill.

Joking aside, there's encouraging noises around these vaccines having sterilising effects. If they do, we should crack on and vaccinate as many people as possible, to get to old herd immunityville.

getting 70% vaccinated might be a bit of a challenge though!

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

getting 70% vaccinated might be a bit of a challenge though!

A challenge but the rapid speed of the vaccine development shows that when money is no object you can achieve impossible things.

They said it would be at least 12 months for a vaccine and they've done it in 9.

3 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

A challenge but the rapid speed of the vaccine development shows that when money is no object you can achieve impossible things.

They said it would be at least 12 months for a vaccine and they've done it in 9.

It's quite incredible, isn't it? I think most people were saying 18 months, which in itself would have been miraculously fast.

More infection rates from the future. A really solid day on day decrease today. I know it feels like the current lockdown isn't enough and isn't working in a lot of areas, but it just needs a bit more time.

At this rate, Manchester will be the only area ready to come out of lockdown in a couple of weeks.

0_nov-18-graph.jpg

0_nov-19-graph.jpg

Edit: just noticed Trafford have overtaken Stockport! It's much nicer to not have the lowest infection rate because we're all dropping, but they're dropping faster.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

24 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

As I understand it you'd either need to vaccinate all the vulnerable or about 70% of the general population to stop it having a significant impact on our health care system.

Surely all the vulnerable (or most) is the easiest way to go? I don’t have the figures but the number of people who die/ get very ill who are under 60 and have no health conditions is minuscule?

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Surely all the vulnerable (or most) is the easiest way to go? I don’t have the figures but the number of people who die/ get very ill who are under 60 and have no health conditions is minuscule?

It certainly makes sense to start with the older people, at least based on deaths.

I'm finding data on "very ill" or long COVID very hard to come by. If anyone has a any data on this, I'd be very interested.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It certainly makes sense to start with the older people, at least based on deaths.

I'm finding data on "very ill" or long COVID very hard to come by. If anyone has a any data on this, I'd be very interested.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4470

This has some data on a recent study into long COVID in the UK. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4470

This has some data on a recent study into long COVID in the UK. 

I knew you'd have something! But I was looking for something that breaks down the prevalence of long illness by age, rather than a detailed study on the effects of said illness. I suspect that data isn't around, at least non without a meta-analysis that nobody has done. Obviously I'd like someone to prove me wrong.