When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

What’s your rates now ? Hasn’t Cornwall had some recent outbreaks ? 

Its definitely the highest its been down here, there's been quite a few cases in my kids school and I know several people who are isolating with symptoms. The R rate is much higher down here for some reason, 1.2 to 1.4 currently.

Had a read of the paper referenced above...excellent study! (I think one of the most in depth looks at the immune response to an acute viral infection ever published...ok, it’s not published yet, but it will be)...anyway, loads of interesting things in there.

Essentially, the antibody response is pretty variable and not a reliable indicator of immunological memory, so seroprevalence studies may not tell us how susceptible we are to reinfection. Even though they were variable though, they were pretty durable out to 6 months (they do decline, but in many individuals, not below a level that would be protective). 

T-cells that kill the virus were also still there at 6 months, they decline too, but they don’t have data for long enough to see if there is a bunch of them that hang around for a long time (they do for other CoV infections)...they also looked at another type of T cell (the ones that help our b-cells make antibodies). They too declined, but we’re still there after 6 months (they suspect they decline quickly at first and then plateau, keeping some of them around long term).

Finally they looked at b-cells (the part of our immune system that makes antibodies)...not only were they still there after 6 months, they actually increased, suggesting that ramping up a new antibody response upon re-exposure would be possible. The authors suggest that this should be long term immunological memory, maybe even like the 90 year b-cell memory seen for flu. Switching back on this response takes 3-5 days after exposure and given the clinical course of COVID, this would be sufficient to limit any reinfection to the upper respiratory tract (ie mild disease, maybe even just like a CoV-related common cold). 

The spike was still the dominant target  (they looked at other things that our immune systems target on the virus too), suggesting that vaccine-derived immunity should give similar responses. No indication that sterilising immunity is possible long term (so I suspect this virus is here to stay, though in purely evolutionary terms, this is a good thing as there no real reason for the virus to change), but basically, all still pointing in the direction of us being able to move this towards a mild and manageable infection (there will probably still be some serious cases, but they will be the exception rather than the rule)...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Had a read of the paper referenced above...excellent study! (I think one of the most in depth looks at the immune response to an acute viral infection ever published...ok, it’s not published yet, but it will be)...anyway, loads of interesting things in there.

Essentially, the antibody response is pretty variable and not a reliable indicator of immunological memory, so seroprevalence studies may not tell us how susceptible we are to reinfection. Even though they were variable though, they were pretty durable out to 6 months (they do decline, but in many individuals, not below a level that would be protective). 

T-cells that kill the virus were also still there at 6 months, they decline too, but they don’t have data for long enough to see if there is a bunch of them that hang around for a long time (they do for other CoV infections)...they also looked at another type of T cell (the ones that help our b-cells make antibodies). They too declined, but we’re still there after 6 months (they suspect they decline quickly at first and then plateau, keeping some of them around long term).

Finally they looked at b-cells (the part of our immune system that makes antibodies)...not only were they still there after 6 months, they actually increased, suggesting that ramping up a new antibody response upon re-exposure would be possible. The authors suggest that this should be long term immunological memory, maybe even like the 90 year b-cell memory seen for flu. Switching back on this response takes 3-5 days after exposure and given the clinical course of COVID, this would be sufficient to limit any reinfection to the upper respiratory tract (ie mild disease, maybe even just like a CoV-related common cold). 

The spike was still the dominant target  (they looked at other things that our immune systems target on the virus too), suggesting that vaccine-derived immunity should give similar responses. No indication that sterilising immunity is possible long term (so I suspect this virus is here to stay, though in purely evolutionary terms, this is a good thing as there no real reason for the virus to change), but basically, all still pointing in the direction of us being able to move this towards a mild and manageable infection (there will probably still be some serious cases, but they will be the exception rather than the rule)...

Thanks for that! So positive news overall I guess

43 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Excellent,  well explained and easy to understand. Reckon even Father Dougal would understand that! 

196961A8-4724-4FF2-92F7-DE38A29661C6.jpeg.2503e30c65e30ed288b37dca1d7e59dd.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Manchester will be in Tier1 when come out of lockdown at this rate.

No such luck.  Stockport's numbers seem to have stalled.

17th- 334
16th- 339
15th- 337
14th- 327
13th- 336
12th-362
11th-362
10th-360

So sure, there's a week on week decrease, but it's not really been plummeting for a while now.  Good to see the likes of Wigan and Oldham finally see some decent drops, even Rochdale is seeing some sustained movement at last.

In all seriousness, I'm hopeful that Stockport at least will dip below the national average by the end of lockdown, but we'll have to see a resumption in the decline to hit that.

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the electorate are what they are. Failing to accept that is choosing to lose. ;) 

Despite his many faults - and all leaders have many faults - was Blair much better than the current shithousery, or not? 

Hey in '97 things could have been much, much worse.

I, and a huge number of friends and aquaintences stood for parliament in the general election for the Rainbow Dream Ticket Party. My constituency was Totnes. 

Had a right laugh but thankfully got nowhere. We all would have been complete rubbish had we been elected.