When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

33 minutes ago, zahidf said:

We are close to it. It seems to be a proper study from a well respected lab as well

@Toilet Duckas always, your opinion will be of interest!

Making the dinner at the mo, but will have a proper look later. Can confirm though that Shane Crotty’s lab is world class (they were the ones that published the Cell paper on t-cell immunity to COVID way back). From skimming the press release, it looks like many have expected/hoped (immunity from severe disease is pretty long lasting, but memory b-cells won’t stop you catching it again once antibody levels wane...you just have the cells there to make more next time). I’d also bet a lot that cross-immunity it is what is behind mild/asymptomatic cases. Could certainly mean that a vaccine gets most of us to the stage where we experience it like a cold in future (there’s still curveballs in there, how prevalent is long COVID for example)...anyway, will have a read when I sit down later and report back!

Edit: +666 ....eeeek!

edit again: Thanks @topmarksbri

...this monkey’s gone to heaven!

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/17/prepare-for-a-low-key-christmas-england-covid-experts-warn?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Experts warning people to prepare for a low-key Christmas and as we have a vaccine on the horizon to possibly have the larger family gatherings in the summer. 

I had the realisation that with a vaccine on the horizon any seeing of people outside the household should be cancelled really. I think the fact politics is getting in the way of "lets postpone or even cancel Christmas this year" proper leadership is going to sacrifice many lives to be honest.  

Had that conversation with the girlfriend the other day - it didn't go down too well and she's very much on my wavelength with how strict we've been all year on ourselves. Christmas is such an emotional thing for people - it used to be for me but I realised how stupid that is the other day in this current situation. 

She hasn't seen her parents since January last year so i think we will be seeing them over the days after Christmas and trying to mitigate the risk (getting them to pick us up etc) - but I don't think they'll be isolating beforehand so I think my own issues are about our own risk catching it which I need to get over anyway, as we won't be getting vaccinated til late next year so will catch it at some point. That said, I'd prefer to catch it after a bit more Vitamin D in the summer...but I can't stop her seeing them, we spent all year living with my parents so I can't pretend to know what that feels like. 

The worst bit is that leaving my Dad on his own on Christmas Day after just losing my Mum in September - it will be hard but is 100% necessary now. We had a plan to all isolate, but my brother's partner has a friend staying with them for months now who is being forced into an office still (in fucking Manchester, plus I don't trust him not to be doing additional social things as he's a believer in herd immunity all the way), so that's our carefully laid out bubble out the window. Still haven't approached that conversation yet...

But the girlfriend was extremely unhappy at the idea that I want to ignore Christmas Day in solidarity with my Dad and brother and do ours a couple of days before. Dad can come over to see us and go for a walk etc as he's close and we all do absolutely nothing so it's not like it'll be a completely alone day.

And I'm getting increasingly annoyed at the fact that the country will still try to have Christmas whatever the restrictions (which lets be honest will be wrongly reduced for the day because of a populist government) as if everyone was in it together I wouldn't have to feel as bad about it all because it would be the norm

Literally thousands of people WILL die as a result of Christmas and the start of 2021 will be much harder than it needs to be

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I hope the decision on Christmas is done early enough.

My relaxed rules plan consists of having both sets of in laws and 2 brothers over so don’t want to be buying a turkey for 9 to find out at the last minute we can’t see anyone!

But......boxing day sandwiches > Christmas dinner

• Upvote 1

My family (parents, brothers family) have all decided to not meet up over the festive season (other than a hopeful outside socially distanced meet up somewhere). We are trying to do our best to minimise risk. And view having a normal Christmas as being too much of a risk. Instead we will Facebook video chat and my mum and I are going to sync up Elf and share watching it over the phone. Others will do differently but we prefer to play it safe and keep each other away from possible harm.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I had the realisation that with a vaccine on the horizon any seeing of people outside the household should be cancelled really. I think the fact politics is getting in the way of "lets postpone or even cancel Christmas this year" proper leadership is going to sacrifice many lives to be honest.  

Had that conversation with the girlfriend the other day - it didn't go down too well and she's very much on my wavelength with how strict we've been all year on ourselves. Christmas is such an emotional thing for people - it used to be for me but I realised how stupid that is the other day in this current situation. 

She hasn't seen her parents since January last year so i think we will be seeing them over the days after Christmas and trying to mitigate the risk (getting them to pick us up etc) - but I don't think they'll be isolating beforehand so I think my own issues are about our own risk catching it which I need to get over anyway, as we won't be getting vaccinated til late next year so will catch it at some point. That said, I'd prefer to catch it after a bit more Vitamin D in the summer...but I can't stop her seeing them, we spent all year living with my parents so I can't pretend to know what that feels like. 

The worst bit is that leaving my Dad on his own on Christmas Day after just losing my Mum in September - it will be hard but is 100% necessary now. We had a plan to all isolate, but my brother's partner has a friend staying with them for months now who is being forced into an office still (in fucking Manchester, plus I don't trust him not to be doing additional social things as he's a believer in herd immunity all the way), so that's our carefully laid out bubble out the window. Still haven't approached that conversation yet...

But the girlfriend was extremely unhappy at the idea that I want to ignore Christmas Day in solidarity with my Dad and brother and do ours a couple of days before. Dad can come over to see us and go for a walk etc as he's close and we all do absolutely nothing so it's not like it'll be a completely alone day.

And I'm getting increasingly annoyed at the fact that the country will still try to have Christmas whatever the restrictions (which lets be honest will be wrongly reduced for the day because of a populist government) as if everyone was in it together I wouldn't have to feel as bad about it all because it would be the norm

Literally thousands of people WILL die as a result of Christmas and the start of 2021 will be much harder than it needs to be

I fully get what you’re saying, I’ve been saying this since the end of summer. They really needed to get out when Autumn started with the message that Christmas will have to be different for this year for the sake of the NHS and to try to keep the virus prevalence down. But as you say they haven’t and are still now not even talking about it as they are scared to piss people off. I have a feeling we could be on for a tough situation post Christmas for the reasons you say and the thing is it doesn’t have to be this way. They could shown leadership and got ahead but they didn’t.

I really get how crushing it will be to people, I love Christmas and not having a full on one this year will really suck but I think it’s what’s needed. Sorry to be a fun sponge but I really believe that.

I’m sorry to hear about you family situation mate, sounds awful. I hope you can find a solution that’s safe and works for you all. 

1 minute ago, sime said:

My family (parents, brothers family) have all decided to not meet up over the festive season (other than a hopeful outside socially distanced meet up somewhere). We are trying to do our best to minimise risk. And view having a normal Christmas as being too much of a risk. Instead we will Facebook video chat and my mum and I are going to sync up Elf and share watching it over the phone. Others will do differently but we prefer to play it safe and keep each other away from possible harm.

and thats exactly the same as my decision ... im hoping my parents and brother make the same choice although I won't attempt to influence it ... we are close to being through this and what is the point in jeopardising mine or their health for the sake of a potentially not very relaxed christmas .and one day .. when hopefully there will be many more occasions in the future in happier times with the jab for the over 70s not so far away 

• Upvote 1

Much as it shouldnt be though- Christmas really isnt just one day. Its a month minimum and after the year people have had (shops businesses and individuals- as much as i admire all of you not doing anything i think most people are going to be 'i deserve this and i'm gonna enjoy it. Who knows where i'll be next year,'

Caveat- im working as i almost always do so doesnt really affect me.

19 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Much as it shouldnt be though- Christmas really isnt just one day. Its a month minimum and after the year people have had (shops businesses and individuals- as much as i admire all of you not doing anything i think most people are going to be 'i deserve this and i'm gonna enjoy it. Who knows where i'll be next year,'

Caveat- im working as i almost always do so doesnt really affect me.

I will be working over Christmas too as always, I work in hospitality so I'm still selfishly hoping that pubs and restaurants stay closed until 2nd January preferably. I will be able to spend Christmas day with my wife and kids for first time in about 10 years.