When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

28 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Toilet Ducks gotta be up there for most on this forum.

27 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Ah - already top of my list!

Aw shucks!...you guys! Really I don't actually do anything. Posting here is cathartic for me too! And it's a much nicer place to be discussing these things filled with nice, reasonable people (much like the festival!) compared to some of the portals to hell that exist on the internet!  Not sure if I'm supposed to say, but Neil (who is obviously really a big softie) sent me an eFests mug and T-Shirt a few weeks back to thank me for my contribution to the forum this year. A lovely and unexpected gesture that really sums this place up (Thanks again Neil!). 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Aw shucks!...you guys! Really I don't actually do anything. Posting here is cathartic for me too! And it's a much nicer place to be discussing these things filled with nice, reasonable people (much like the festival!) compared to some of the portals to hell that exist on the internet!  Not sure if I'm supposed to say, but Neil (who is obviously really a big softie) sent me an eFests mug and T-Shirt a few weeks back to thank me for my contribution to the forum this year. A lovely and unexpected gesture that really sums this place up (Thanks again Neil!). 

no problem, glad they arrived OK.

I feel that all of us have been really lucky to have someone so well informed. Along with the other contributions this topic has been amazingly fantastic for just about anything to do with covid (so thank you to everyone else, too :) ).

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

That’s awesome, what a lovely gesture!

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

no problem, glad they arrived OK.

I feel that all of us have been really lucky to have someone so well informed. Along with the other contributions this topic has been amazingly fantastic for just about anything to do with covid (so thank you to everyone else, too :) ).

They arrived safe and sound. I have my tea in the mug and I've worn the T-Shirt already (fits perfectly!)...much appreciated!

54 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There's a kernel of a good idea in there, providing subsidised support for the low paid to access the internet is a good idea. But it was sold as if IT contractors earning thousands a week working from home would log on via the Ministry of Internet. It was just a distraction.

Absolutely this. The way it was to be implemented was actually picked from one of the options in a paper the government themselves commissioned. It wasn't drawn up on the bag of a fag packet.

So it was a costed, viable option that got completely slammed in the media.

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

They arrived safe and sound. I have my tea in the mug and I've worn the T-Shirt already (fits perfectly!)...much appreciated!

Those mugs are indestructible ... they would survive anything .... I would be surprised if they were anti virus too ...  we will get you to join one of our online meets one day .... Promise we won't hammer you with ... questions :) you could attend the Christmas one dressed as santa :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

58 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The ironic thing is that the last 8 months have shown that perhaps giving access to a basic internet for free isn't a bad idea given how essential it is!

The problem wasn't really with the concept itself of free Broadband though - it's that how they said they'd implement and fund it was so flawed and obviously bullshit that even if they'd won a 200 seat majority there'd still be no chance whatsoever that it'd actually happen.

As a result I think most people took it for what it most likely was - an ill thought out attempt to pander for votes rather than a serious policy suggestion.

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah this thread has been incredible really. People look at me gone out when I say “well I read on efests” and spout some hot news. They’re baffled that a music festival forum is such a goldmine for information.

This thread has been great during this time for many reasons, goes to show what a few people with loads of time on their hands and the internet can do (myself included in that).

1 minute ago, incident said:

The problem wasn't really with the concept itself of free Broadband though - it's that how they said they'd implement and fund it was so flawed and obviously bullshit that even if they'd won a 200 seat majority there'd still be no chance whatsoever that it'd actually happen.

As a result I think most people took it for what it most likely was - an ill thought out attempt to pander for votes rather than a serious policy suggestion.

The thing is though fast forward 9 months and state back broadband to the less off would now be a massive help. Whilst we have hindsight now it goes to show that they could spot some of the issues in the country and develop ideas to address those. I used to think that Corbyn does tend to get proven right over many things and this backs that up for me. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The thing is though fast forward 9 months and state back broadband to the less off would now be a massive help. Whilst we have hindsight now it goes to show that they could spot some of the issues in the country and develop ideas to address those. I used to think that Corbyn does tend to get proven right over many things and this backs that up for me. 

Again, the problem isn't the concept. It's when you look at what the actual proposals were, they wouldn't have gone anywhere. If Labour had won in 2019, then we'd be absolutely no further along that path right now.