When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I would allow Corbyn back in if he promises to shut up and serve his constituents from the lack benches.

Any more left wing bullshit and he’s papped back to the SWP where he belongs 

God forbid there were any left wing politics in the Labour Party.

Fuck me.

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yougov in 2017 disagrees. Corbyns unpopularity was the deciding factor. 

A more palatable Labour leader would have attracted more votes. 

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/04/26/corbyn-favourability-remains-rock-bottom-ahead-gen

Ed Miliband got vilified for eating a bacon butty, I doubt during election time Starmer would be seen as more palatable. He's not seen as a threat right now hence no shit being flung at him yet.

1 minute ago, DickButkis said:

Ed Miliband got vilified for eating a bacon butty, I doubt during election time Starmer would be seen as more palatable. He's not seen as a threat right now hence no shit being flung at him yet.

Starmer doesn't have a million different easy targets sown on his back for the last 40-ish years.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

can't really see it happening as it would be the death of Labour quite quickly. 

Do you think? I would see it as then being the only way to prevent Tories from getting a majority and it’s very unlikely anyone would go into power with them for a long time to come. So electoral reform would help Labour in my view. 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I mean it’s all kind of interrelated ... but it’s worth steering it back a little towards the virus news ... 

It’s been a natural conversation that is interesting to quite a few here as seen through the activity. I don’t think we need to engineer it onto a different topic, let the conversation take it’s course. We’ll have moved onto something else soon enough anyway. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Do you think? I would see it as then being the only way to prevent Tories from getting a majority and it’s very unlikely anyone would go into power with them for a long time to come. So electoral reform would help Labour in my view. 

when every vote counts it's worth setting up new parties because they can actually get elected.

And when there's new parties, why would anyone vote Labour when there's be other parties they're more likely to agree with...? 'The left' is riduled with factionalism.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s been a natural conversation that is interesting to quite a few here as seen through the activity. I don’t think we need to engineer it onto a different topic, let the conversation take it’s course. We’ll have moved onto something else soon enough anyway. 

Steering it back a little were my words .. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

when every vote counts it's worth setting up new parties because they can actually get elected.

And when there's new parties, why would anyone vote Labour when there's be other parties they're more likely to agree with...? 'The left' is riduled with factionalism.

Good points. But you can look round the world to see a Labour Party in a PR system that remains a viable option for power so I don’t see why it would be much different here. It would just promote a Labour Party more willing to work with others hopefully. And considering the damage the Tories are doing I think a system that would accurately reflect that the majority of voters aren’t voting for the Tories would be very beneficial.

Thats if you think one of the most important factors is ensuring the Tories don’t win power. (Not saying you don’t think that btw).

Just now, Homer said:

They've tried to smeer Starmer - HE OWNS A FIELD REMEMBER - but they just canlt find any dirt, mainloy because he's seems to be  fairly nice/dull bloke who thinks things through properly before he does them,

It's not election time my friend, they won't pull out big guns just yet.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

They've tried to smeer Starmer - HE OWNS A FIELD REMEMBER - but they just canlt find any dirt, mainloy because he's seems to be  fairly nice/dull bloke who thinks things through properly before he does them,

😂 oh yeah I forgot about that, what a joke that was. That seems like ago now. 

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Polling on issues, separated from associations with parties, shows that the majority of people do like leftwing economic policies, they want to nationalise rails, stop NHS privatisation etc.

Areas like foreign policy and defence they are less aligned - Palestine, trident etc. But Corbyn did not pursue these things and trident renewal was the official policy left on the manifesto.

Corbyn was rumbled because of brexit and because of the media, not on policy.

I’d add to this... I think it’s very easy to package up a load of popular on-their-own policies and go “boom that makes the whole thing greater than the sum of its parts and we’ll romp home”

But in reality people think - and I believe this is well documented - there’s a credibility gap. It’s alright saying all these great policies, but how realistic is it they could actually deliver pretty much any of them. People see through that quite easily. 

12 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

I’d add to this... I think it’s very easy to package up a load of popular on-their-own policies and go “boom that makes the whole thing greater than the sum of its parts and we’ll romp home”

But in reality people think - and I believe this is well documented - there’s a credibility gap. It’s alright saying all these great policies, but how realistic is it they could actually deliver pretty much any of them. People see through that quite easily. 

I think this is very valid, whilst a lot of differing options in the manifesto were very strong it became kind of too good to be true and people started to think it couldn’t all be delivered. I’m not saying that’s right just how it appeared to some.