When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oh I agree but he still holds a lot of influence amongst his base so maybe he thought that type of statement could help. Maybe I’ve got that wrong but that’s how I read it, as a way to try to get the party to move forward to fight the Tories. 

I suspect that statement has already been agreed with Starmer &/or other party bigwigs.

I don't really see why he'd put it out otherwise, it would be a very un-Corbyn thing to do.

10 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Sadly, I'm not surprised to read this sort of thing - even on here.  There was an article today in the local in-bred news website about local recruitment for a Phase 3 trials of the Janseen vaccine.  The response was 95% anti-vaxxer twats.

I think it was a joke. He wasn’t predicting that the vaccine is going to “wipe out” healthcare staff, merely saying that we’d be in trouble if it did. He’s not an anti-vaxxer. It was a joke and you all need a chill pill. 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I think it was a joke. He wasn’t predicting that the vaccine is going to “wipe out” healthcare staff, merely saying that we’d be in trouble if it did. He’s not an anti-vaxxer. It was a joke and you all need a chill pill. 

You and Stevie know each other better than most, so if you say it was a joke, then that's good enough for me.

My main point still stands, i.e. out there in the great web-fingered public, anti-vaxx lunacy is endemic.  The comments section of your local news website makes depressing reading.

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Also mad that the leader of the opposition sat on the fence during the most turbulent political issue this side of the millennium. 

Sat on the fence in line with a policy that was forced by Starmer to then abandon his stance on when he became leader.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mark E. Spliff said:

You and Stevie know each other better than most, so if you say it was a joke, then that's good enough for me.

My main point still stands, i.e. out there in the great web-fingered public, anti-vaxx lunacy is endemic.  The comments section of your local news website makes depressing reading.

It does when you consider a proportion of those "anti vaxxers" will happily snort party powder or take disco biscuits which have been bought from a bloke who they've met for the first time on a night out!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's not hate, it's merely the recognition that party leadership was beyond him, and that that he held lots of marginal views that were off-putting to a large proportion of the voting public.

I think the media had a big part to play on how his views and policies were portrayed to public. However, there is no point going over old ground was merely just highlighting an observation.

I’m disappointed. He should have dug in. There was no basis for his suspension, it was not called for by the party’s rules and the EHRC report even specifically called for not suspending people for expressing their opinions on the extent or scale of the issue at hand.

Starmer should have apologised and reinstated JC without qualification, acknowledging his hysterical, knee jerk, authoritarian overreaction for what it was. 

Edited by mattiloy

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

This is a fair point. But...Corbyn was leader.

I wonder if Starmer will back any brexit deal negotiated by govt over the coming days or weeks.

Yeah I can understand that but Corbyn probably thought that stance would bring some unity to the party but was out done poltically by Starmer who more than likely knew that would be the death of Corbyn's leadership given his Brexit stance now.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DickButkis said:

I think the media had a big part to play on how his views and policies were portrayed to public. However, there is no point going over old ground was merely just highlighting an observation.

the media are always hostile to Labour leaders, Corbyn gave them more targets to shoot at than others - because they were his views! 

The worthwhile Labour leaders win despite the media hostility.

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

I’m disappointed. He should have dug in. There was no basis for his suspension, it was not called for by the party’s rules and the EHRC report even specifically called for not suspending people for expressing their opinions on the extent or scale of the issue at hand.

Starmer should have apologised and reinstated JC without qualification, acknowledging his hysterical, knee jerk, authoritarian overreaction for what it was. 

Starmer is a centrist coward. He's shown this by his need to pander to the right with his treatment of the left wing members of the party and his stance on evictions.

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

There was no basis for his suspension, it was not called for by the party’s rules and the EHRC report

if he'd bothered to read and understand the EHRC report,  he'd have been smart enough not to do the very thing that the EHRC report was criticising about Labour under Corbyn. ;) 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

the media are always hostile to Labour leaders, Corbyn gave them more targets to shoot at than others - because they were his views! 

The worthwhile Labour leaders win despite the media hostility.

The last Labour leader to win an election was matey with Rupert Murdoch, I don’t think that’s any coincidence.

3 minutes ago, DickButkis said:

Yeah I can understand that but Corbyn probably thought that stance would bring some unity to the party but was out done poltically by Starmer who more than likely knew that would be the death of Corbyn's leadership given his Brexit stance now.

I don't know...maybe...I mean Starmer was the brexit secretary...and things only slowly moved towards a 2nd referendum once it was seen that it was popular amongst labour members and much of the british public.

Just now, DickButkis said:

Starmer is a centrist coward. He's shown this by his need to pander to the right with his treatment of the left wing members of the party and his stance on evictions.

Incase you haven’t noticed we don’t live in a left leaning country. 

The right wing has the larger voting base as seen in the recent elections and referendum. 

The only way to appeal to a broader selection of voters and gain power is by having a centrist position. 

The left wing will never gain power in this climate especially with the right wing media influence. 

The only times Labour have been in power in recent years has been with centrist based leadership.

3 hours ago, Lycra said:

Karen Brady just been on the Beeb and suggested football hoping get fans back in with social distancing, one-way systèms, no bars, no food etc from March if situation allows. Doesn't provide much appeal.

The London stadium has little appeal to me as it is, don’t need it to get worse.