When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

50 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Unless the Oxford one really will be announcing results during the next week or so and can then get regulatory approval by the end of Nov? 

Due to the oxford vaccines ease in storage and distribution in comparison to the Pfizer one I assume it can be "out in the field" quicker?

There's a few reasons to think that it's still possible or even likely that the Oxford vaccine gets delivered within the country before the Pfizer one, especially if you're taking about decent quantities rather than the initial shipment.

- The relative lack of obstacles in terms of storage and distribution that you mention means that it should be able to go everywhere the flu vaccine currently does.

- They've built significant manufacturing capacity within the UK and I believe this is already stockpiling.

- Oxford are not announcing results until they're further along - which means that there should be a significantly shorter gap between us hearing about it and them filing for approval.

I'm still of the opinion that most people in the UK, especially those under 70, will end up being given the Oxford vaccine - and that for most of us it'll probably happen at their local supermarket / pharmacy / surgery etc like the flu vaccine rather than the dedicated vaccination centres being set up to handle the Pfizer vaccine.

Sir John Bell was on R4 this morning giving a bit more clarity on why he said last week it was entirely possible for life to be back to almost normal by spring / summer. He stated that he doesn’t see why (in reference to the oxford vaccine) people are worried about how quickly it can be distributed in order to achieve this.

Especially given the fact we vaccinate 30-40m people each year over 2 months or so with the flu vaccine.

It did have me thinking “surely the figure for the flu vaccine isn’t as high as that?” but either way you can understand his point.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Seems a decent statement from him, hopeful this will be the start of a way forward and Corbyn being invited back to the party. 

All that will do is create more divisions between those following Corbyn and the current leadership. 

The last thing we need while the Tories on the ropes is more Labour infighting. 

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Seems a decent statement from him, hopeful this will be the start of a way forward and Corbyn being invited back to the party. 

Starmer should take that, as an easy way out. That's Corbyn coming as close as he ever will to admitting he got it wrong.

While I think Starmer should take that to avoid a party meltdown, I reckon that Labour probably gets to be more electable if it has that meltdown.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

All that will do is create more divisions between those following Corbyn and the current leadership. 

The last thing we need while the Tories on the ropes is more Labour infighting. 

I read that as a way to try to bring people back together?

Just now, eFestivals said:

Starmer should take that, as an easy way out. That's Corbyn coming as close as he ever will to admitting he got it wrong.

While I think Starmer should take that to avoid a party meltdown, I reckon that Labour probably gets to be more electable if it has that meltdown.

Yeah that’s kind of what I meant 😀

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Starmer will want to do that as quietly as possible...maybe on a day when there's a big news story...a brexit deal maybe?

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

The party needs to move on and unite again. Corbyn needs to avoid being in the limelight for that to happen. 

Oh I agree but he still holds a lot of influence amongst his base so maybe he thought that type of statement could help. Maybe I’ve got that wrong but that’s how I read it, as a way to try to get the party to move forward to fight the Tories. 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We're going to be screwed if this vaccine takes out all the health workers.

Sadly, I'm not surprised to read this sort of thing - even on here.  There was an article today in the local in-bred news website about local recruitment for a Phase 3 trials of the Janseen vaccine.  The response was 95% anti-vaxxer twats.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I would allow Corbyn back in if he promises to shut up and serve his constituents from the lack benches.

Any more left wing bullshit and he’s papped back to the SWP where he belongs 

this has nothing to do with being left wing. It was about his reaction to the EHRC antisemitism report.