When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Need a vaccine that doesn't need to be stored at -80C or whatever it is, so can be more easily transported and delivered globally.

Sorry if I’m being dumb but can’t we just buy the patents and make it ourselves here?

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Given the low volume of data in both trials, the difference between 90% and 94% isn't a huge amount. It's reasonable to expect that once the data set gets much larger, both vaccines will be about the same overall given that they work in essentially the same way.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Given the low volume of data in both trials, the difference between 90% and 94% isn't a huge amount. It's reasonable to expect that once the data set gets much larger, both vaccines will be about the same overall given that they work in essentially the same way.

main advantage with Moderna is that it doesn't need cold storage

I know this lockdown is technically more stringent than Tier 3, but I am wondering if there's other things at play here than the strict stringency of the lockdown.

Places that were in Tier 3 are, broadly, places that never stopped lockdown, where cases never came down. I wonder if people in these areas are therefore both cautious, and both more used to lockdown and living with it, than those in areas where we were basically told "yeah it's pretty much over", had a few months of pubs and stuff, went back to the office, and are now suddenly being told "no, stay in your homes again".

I know "lockdown fatigue" is a real thing, but I wonder if there's a sort of "lockdown momentum" in play also. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

main advantage with Moderna is that it doesn't need cold storage

It still does, but nowhere near to the extent that the Pfizer one does.

In terms of being able to deliver it pretty much everywhere without special logistics, and having large scale domestic manufacturing capacity, then the Oxford vaccine is the one I'm hoping comes through.

12 minutes ago, incident said:

The US has signed up for the first 100 million doses, with options for 400 million more:

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-supply-agreement-us-government-initial-100

We wont be getting any of that for a while anyway

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Apparently, Oxford approach is only to announce in combination with publication of the academic paper.

That’s good, I like that approach as you get a more detailed analysis and conclusion. If it takes an extra couple of weeks then so be it, it’s not a huge amount of time in the grand scheme of things and won’t delay any roll out. 

Just now, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I know the UK gov couldn't put their cash into every prospective vaccine, however they are going to get slaughtered for this in the short term, aren't they!! 

Who would have thought a vaccine would be the catalyst for WW3...

I’m not a fan of this government at all but vaccine preparation has been one of the things they’ve done well in, hasn’t it?

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not a fan of this government at all but vaccine preparation has been one of the things they’ve done well in, hasn’t it?

I think so.  The fact that the US government funded and monopolised supply of one of the many successful vaccines doesn't seem like something I would blame our government for.

More good news on the vaccine front that cements the idea that the spike protein is highly immunogenic and an excellent target to use for vaccine development (pretty much all vaccine developers have taken this approach). I wouldn't get too downcast about not having a deal for this one in place. It costs about £45 per course (compared to between £2-£5 for the Oxford one), so if it was the only game in town, sure you'd want to get a hold of it, but there will be other options that work as well that are far more cost effective. The UK vaccine portfolio will do just fine. Best news really is that all of these vaccines look pretty safe and work pretty well, so it bodes well for those coming down the line.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3