When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

38 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

the left wing part of the population is much bigger than it was in 1997 and its growing and they value authenticity.

You're in for a shock when you see the last two general election results!

On the music front, I saw Johnson last year saying The Clash are his favourite band (Stones too, I think).

24 minutes ago, jparx said:

That argument is exhausting, and frankly childish. “Well they started it!”

I was a huge Corbyn supporter and disagreed with the infighting then. It’s pathetic on BOTH sides. If everyone on the centre, centre left and left could actually get a grip and organise themselves we might make some fucking progress in this country.

I’m the same, I supported Corbyn and support Starmer now too. I feel Starmer is the best shot we have of kicking the Tories out of the power. The infighting didn’t help from 2015 on and it doesn’t help now. We need to all band together to get rid of the Tories.

Happy birthday @Fuzzy Afro

27 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They did get more seats tbf.

Not than 2017. But also a smaller number of votes and vote share than JC in 2019. They didnt have to contest with the brexit factor and a so dominant SNP.

25 minutes ago, Homer said:

You're in for a shock when you see the last two general election results!

Eh? I’m just saying Starmer cant do it without the young left. They’re a more significant part of his votership than they were for Blair. And after growing up in the post Blair, post Clegg/Cameron era are particularly mistrustful of sleek, corporate politicians.

Edited by mattiloy

In other news, we heard loud music and a lot of voices coming from next door last night. Either the guys who live there were all getting a bit lary, or more likely there was a lockdown fouling party going on.

Have you guys noticed many blatant lockdown breaking going on? A lot of anecdotal reports of roads being busy etc but that’s the first time I’ve suspected a blatant rule break. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

In other news, we heard loud music and a lot of voices coming from next door last night. Either the guys who live there were all getting a bit lary, or more likely there was a lockdown fouling party going on.

Have you guys noticed many blatant lockdown breaking going on? A lot of anecdotal reports of roads being busy etc but that’s the first time I’ve suspected a blatant rule break. 

only out and about...groups of people in parks, playing sport etc. Not noticed any parties round my way...but I don't live in that sort of area.

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I don’t think they police this in London at all. I’m hearing of illegal raves near me and big group gatherings at peoples apartments.

London feels like a bubble of speakeasies.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Worryingly he said things won't get back to normal until next winter as vaccines unlikely to make significant inroads into the pandemic before summer. In a similar vein a German Health Minister warned nation to expect 5 more months of severe restrictions 😯

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think they police this in London at all. I’m hearing of illegal raves near me and big group gatherings at peoples apartments.

London feels like a bubble of speakeasies.

the outdoor raves in the summer would have been of less risk than any indoor parties or raves this winter. Tricky....they need to stop obviously...but if I was young I'd probably be going to them....

40 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Worryingly he said things won't get back to normal until next winter as vaccines unlikely to make significant inroads into the pandemic before summer. In a similar vein a German Health Minister warned nation to expect 5 more months of severe restrictions 😯

Scientists aren't the govt. Zero chance the tories keep up social distancing if the over 50's are vaccinated by easter like Bingham said. Lockdown adherence is bad now. Be even worse post vaccine roll out.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Sir John Bell also said last week that life would be back to normal by spring. Given he is a key part of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine I think that his opinion carries an equal amount of weight as the guy from biontech. In short we don’t know who’s right, so let’s try and stay positive. If I was to try and assess whose opinion carried more weight, I would possibly side more with John Bell’s estimate of spring, given he is also part of the UK vaccine task force so is probably more privy to what the UK government actually has planned as well as being someone who would be advising the government as to when restrictions could be lifted. He’s not a stupid man, there must be some strong reasoning as to why he thought Spring could be when restrictions are lifted, as he will have known that his prediction would make headlines and will have wanted to avoid predicting something that isn’t likely to happen

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah a few times now. 

1) Was walking through my estate with the Kids going to the Park last Sunday and unless everyone has spent their Lockdown money on an unfeasible amount of cars there was plenty of visiting going on for Sunday dinner.

2) Walking home from work (in Glasgow) when the Scotland game was on last Wednesday and they scored.

3) Anytime I bother with Facebook.

Sturgeon is going to put us in Tier 4 (pretty much lockdown) next week, totally missing out on the reality that shutting Hospitality earlier and banning Alcohol has meant more people in each other’s houses. Close them altogether along with shops and gyms (baffling in itself) and this will happen more, especially in the run op to Christmas. Obvious stuff, but it seems to be passing the Scottish Government by.

38 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Sir John Bell also said last week that life would be back to normal by spring. Given he is a key part of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine I think that his opinion carries an equal amount of weight as the guy from biontech. In short we don’t know who’s right, so let’s try and stay positive. If I was to try and assess whose opinion carried more weight, I would possibly side more with John Bell’s estimate of spring, given he is also part of the UK vaccine task force so is probably more privy to what the UK government actually has planned as well as being someone who would be advising the government as to when restrictions could be lifted. He’s not a stupid man, there must be some strong reasoning as to why he thought Spring could be when restrictions are lifted, as he will have known that his prediction would make headlines and will have wanted to avoid predicting something that isn’t likely to happen

To be fair, the guy from BioNTech didn’t say things wouldn’t be normal til winter next year, he said we’d have a more normal winter next year but the vaccine was too late to change things this winter. The German minister said 4-5 more months of restrictions. All of the above remains within a timeline of things looking considerably more normal by Easter and substantially more normal by Summer. Would be a big help if the J&J, Merck, GSK and Novavax vaccines get over the line too in order to get enough people covered by Autumn next year so we can head into the winter confident we have things under control.  Not hearing anything that changes reasonable timelines that have been articulated elsewhere.

edit: arguably the more important thing the BioNTech guy said was to temper the 90% sterilising immunity claims that were circulating when the results of the interim analysis were communicated. The way it was told is not how he is describing it and more in line with what I would have expected (strong protection from disease, which has a knock on impact on transmission, but not the kind of measles vaccine level of sterilising immunity that was being touted...it could still be like that (who knows), but I wasn’t sure whether Pfizer were swabbing large number of participants weekly like the Oxford trial is, so wasn’t sure how they were reaching this conclusion, or if it was just being misinterpreted in the press releases (really shows why you need to see the data!)). All still very promising, with more to come though!

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Upvote 1

Just had a vey brief chat with my sister about vaccine rollout she's a  surgery nurse and currently there are issues around payment from the government to surgeries for jabs .... the surgery would make a loss until people had the second dose .... hopefully this resolves itself .... was on a family zoom so was quite difficult to ask her more 

meanwhile my over 70 parents had someone else in their house :(