When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

If we go back to tier 3,What’s the difference between that and the current lockdown,I can’t remember.

As far as I recall the only difference is that the shops are open

Lots of differences, not just ‘shops’ but leisure and hospitality (where a meal is served) too. You can also meet people outside again. Essentially the stay at home message goes. In Tier 3 we went for our haircut, ice skating, to a pub for a meal - none of which can happen in lockdown.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

isn't this gossip that is being denied?

The whole Cummings things is weird as others have mentioned, the whole pantomime soap opera aspect to it...almost as if they're just mucking with the dumb arse public.

It's from the Telegraph, for what that's worth (would have thought their tory sources would be fairly strong).

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

isn't this gossip that is being denied?

The whole Cummings things is weird as others have mentioned, the whole pantomime soap opera aspect to it...almost as if they're just mucking with the dumb arse public.

I’m starting to think his exit was too public. 

Surely there’s a back entrance to Number 10. Walking out of the front door with a cardboard box was far too theatrical. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Surely there’s a back entrance to Number 10. Walking out of the front door with a cardboard box was far too theatrical. 

So was holding a press conference in the downing st garden - my take on it is that he's a massive twat.

15 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Something that came up earlier in the thread (or maybe one of the previous COVID threads!) was the impact of chronobiology on immune function. Anyway, excellent pre-print out recently addressing this in over 300,000 patients. Long and short of it is that our white blood cells (basically immune cells) fluctuate daily and seasonally. We’ve suspected as much for a while, but nice to see a study of this size confirm it (I’m biased a bit as I went to college with one of the authors). What does it mean? Well, around now, our immune systems aren’t as good as they are when there’s more daylight. Helps to partly explain why we get more infections in winter (more opportunity too obviously as we are indoors more), but possibly contributing to the bigger peaks we are seeing now. Also suggests mornings are the best time for vaccinations (mornings in spring/summer even better). Might be worthwhile doing care home and older vaccinations early in the day, but probably too soon to be fully adapting this into clinical practice. Anyway, I think circadian rhythms are fascinating! 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.23.20218305v1.full.pdf

As ye were...

Thank you - that is really interesting. I find it fascinating when science proves there can be something in the what could be called by some ‘woo-woo’ ideas/notions. I’m quite sceptical of most ‘out there’ non fact based beliefs but sometimes even what can seem nonsensical ‘old wives tales’ have a grain of truth in them 

33 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Why does this aide get to walk out the front door of No 10? That’s for the Cabinet, he should be sent out the back to be never seen again. But he’s too arrogant for that. 

Tories continue to stuff the ECHR with fellow Tories and people with believe complaints of racism and sexism are over stated (except for anti-semitism in the Labour Party):

Equalities campaigners criticise senior EHRC appointment

Journalist David Goodhart has defended ‘hostile environment’ measures and ‘white self-interest’

The government’s appointment of a supporter of the Home Office’s “hostile environment” policy to the equalities watchdog has prompted a fierce backlash among equalities campaigners.

The writer and journalist David Goodhart, who is head of immigration and integration at the right-leaning Policy Exchange thinktank, has been selected as a commissioner at the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), which is currently investigating the Home Office’s implementation of its hostile environment immigration policies.

In recent articles Goodhart has praised the measures introduced by the then home secretary Theresa May to combat illegal immigration, and argued that they should not be watered down in the wake of the Windrush scandal, which saw thousands of people who were legally resident in the UK wrongly prevented from working, travelling, and accessing free healthcare.

His writing on race and immigration has often attracted the attention of equalities campaigners. Goodhart has described complaints of systemic racism as “statistically naive” and argued that “white self-interest is not same thing as racism”.

His appointment has intensified concern about diversity within the EHRC’s senior management. Currently eight out of nine commissioners are white and there are no black commissioners; that ratio will rise to 10 out of 12 when three new, permanent commissioners start work in December. News of the appointment came the day that parliament’s joint committee on human rights published a report concluding that the EHRC had failed “to provide leadership and gain trust in tackling racial equality”. 

“For the EHRC to be, and be seen to be, effective black people must be represented at the top level of the organisation, including as commissioners,” the report warned.

Halima Begum, director of the race equality thinktank the Runnymede Trust, said Goodhart’s appointment had “completely eroded her confidence in the EHRC”.

“At a particularly sensitive moment in our nation’s social history, Mr Goodhart’s comments around the government’s hostile environment immigration policy and Black Lives Matter offer no reassurance of his empathy, understanding or impartiality on the issue of racial equality.”

She was also dismayed about the lack of diversity among commissioners. “If you do not have black representation in 2020 it really raises questions about the government’s ability to understand the issues of the Black Lives Matter movement.”

A spokesperson for the Muslim Council of Britain said: “If the government is serious about tackling racism and discrimination, then it would appoint credible figures known for fighting and experiencing racism. We do not think Mr Goodhart has either of these characteristics. His selection follows a long line of government appointment of individuals who either oppose or are sceptical of anti-racism efforts.”

The Institute of Race Relations tweeted: “The appointment of David Goodhart as an EHRC commissioner, who has in the past attacked diversity and opined about the need to understand ‘majority grievances’, suggests the very real danger of an end to a progressive equalities agenda in this country.”

Goodhart has criticised “victim status” among minorities and in an article headlined “White self-interest is not same thing as racism” argued: “Modern liberals tend to believe that preference for your own ethnic group or even your own nation is a form of racism. Conservatives regard it as common sense and resent being labelled as racist.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/13/campaigners-criticise-senior-ehrc-appointment-david-goodhart

I do hope the end of Cummings also marks the end of this culture war stuff they're busy seeding for the next election, but I doubt it- they need to stoke this sort of anti-anti racism stuff to win.

51 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Why does this aide get to walk out the front door of No 10? That’s for the Cabinet, he should be sent out the back to be never seen again. But he’s too arrogant for that. 

Maybe it's cos he's such a great guy and they all love him so much.