When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

He actually said that? Quite the gaffe. Labour need to make a cut up of that and spam it across social media. 

No he didn't say those words sorry im summarizing it, he replied that the way chris the photographer will get his job back on track is if people keep following the guidance and get the virus under control. so basically the same thing

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Starmer has Boris on the ropes here. Need a knockout blow now

I really hope Sir Keir makes a huge effort to regain the initiative in Scotland and regain all those seats that have drifted to the nationalists over the last decade. The forty or so seats will be vital in getting a majority in Parliament. Problem is the three unionist parties tend to split the vote especially as there are quite a few marginals. I love the way Starmer forensically attacks Johnson. 

Just now, priest17 said:

That response is a disaster, not even an attempt to address the point of the question.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I really hope Sir Keir makes a huge effort to regain the initiative in Scotland and regain all those seats that have drifted to the nationalists over the last decade. The forty or so seats will be vital in getting a majority in Parliament. Problem is the three unionist parties tend to split the vote especially as there are quite a few marginals. I love the way Starmer forensically attacks Johnson. 

Genuine question, what would work as a good, effective response to the SNPs independence? 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That response is a disaster, not even an attempt to address the point of the question.

Genuine question, what would work as a good, effective response to the SNPs independence? 

The currency, the lender of last resort, the deficit, the Europe question, the cost of separation.  The Biggest trading partner is with the rest of the UK. Imagine what would happen if Scotland were part of the EU?  Remember the EU have criteria that have to be met to join them. Currently financially Scotland is far from meeting them. Other countries that have gone their own way usually have done so with the overwhelming support of the people, not a very narrow majority.   

And despite all its shortcomings I love being apart of the UK😉

3 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

I think they could go down the route of further devolution in Scotland - keeps the union in tact and gives the Scots some stability but gives Scotland more power to decide their own government etc. Having a kind of federal/state system in the UK could be interesting. 

Why stop with just Scotland. In the North it’s pretty clear that the London based government doesn’t have our best interests at the top of their agenda. 

It’s time for a new system that doesn’t give England the majority of the power. 

Split England up into 4/5 more equal chunks which will each be more comparable in size with Scotland & Wales etc. 

Get rid of the current Parliament and have regional governments then have a EU style Parliament where the different regions of the British isles all get an equal say instead of everything being London centric. 

If we get rid of the London Parliament then even Ireland might want to join back in as long as they have an equal say on how to run things. 

16 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The currency, the lender of last resort, the deficit, the Europe question, the cost of separation.  The Biggest trading partner is with the rest of the UK. Imagine what would happen if Scotland were part of the EU?  Remember the EU have criteria that have to be met to join them. Currently financially Scotland is far from meeting them. Other countries that have gone their own way usually have done so with the overwhelming support of the people, not a very narrow majority.   

And despite all its shortcomings I love being apart of the UK😉

I once had a great chat years ago camping on Mull.  

Basically the two Scottish lads i shared beers with did not want an independent Scotland.

In their eyes,  years down the line Edinburgh & Aberdeen would decide that Glasgow was a financial drain and burden  on Scotland and would want to a form a new state that Glasgow was not part of.  All parts of Scotland - The Highlands and Islands and border country were welcome to join  - just not them.

25 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Problem with that...for a lot of people it will be an emotional decision, not a pragmatic one...it was similar with the brexit vote.

45 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

probably only full-on electoral reform for the UK.

Abolish the Lords, PR, an English parliament, and some sort of federalism (with things loaded in the Scots favour, of course ;) ).

Unfortunately this is another path - and in several directions - to Labour oblivion, so I can't really see it happening.

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

From Cornwall ? He’s shared that too 

Staying in the SW anyone who actually knows what Totnes is like can appreciate the below. Just as wacky as Glastonbury but with less of a sense of humour.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/11/totnes-covid-concerns-reflect-uk-wide-rise-in-conspiracy-theories

Edited by Copperface

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If we get rid of the London Parliament then even Ireland might want to join back in as long as they have an equal say on how to run things. 

There is an interesting view that:

The UK would quite happily give up Northern Ireland ( despite what it said ) -  They are a costly nuisance

The Republic of Ireland don't want a united Ireland ( despite what is said ) - Getting Northern Ireland would be a big costly nuisance for them

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Apparently Carrie Symonds is blocking the appointment of Lee Cain as a special adviser to number 10. I was today years old when I discovered that the UK constitution afforded such power to the First Lady. 

They arent married are they? She’s more the first mistress. Or the first baby mamma 

57 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Why stop with just Scotland. In the North it’s pretty clear that the London based government doesn’t have our best interests at the top of their agenda. 

It’s time for a new system that doesn’t give England the majority of the power. 

Split England up into 4/5 more equal chunks which will each be more comparable in size with Scotland & Wales etc. 

Get rid of the current Parliament and have regional governments then have a EU style Parliament where the different regions of the British isles all get an equal say instead of everything being London centric. 

Absolutely no chance!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Absolutely no chance!

I know there’s deep hatred of the UK government by the Irish and rightly so. 

It’s a huge shame as the Irish culture is very similar to the rest of the culture on these islands. Wish there was a way we could be more connected but without the bumbling idiots from Whitehall running things. 

Just now, eFestivals said:

we'll only end up with a different set of bumbling idiots located in a different place.

The bumbling idiots are politicians. There's no good ones, only different ones.

I dunno, the ones now, on both sides, seem a lot more idiotic than prior ones. I feel like Cameron would have handled COVID far better. Blair, Cameron and even Brown came across as impressive people to me, who knew what they were doing in a way that pretty much none of the front benches of Corbyn did or Johnson's do.