When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

57 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Then we always have the question- how many people won’t get vaccinated? Yesterday in pret a man behind me was refusing to keep his distance, didn’t wear a mask and then tried to barge in front of me in the queue because apparently “he doesn’t believe in conspiracy theories”. So he definitely won’t be getting vaccinated along with 25-50% of others? But luckily because this Pfizer vaccine has a 90% prevention, those who are vaccinated will be protected up to a degree of 90%, meaning that people who take it will be far less likely to be hospitalised, but the virus could still be circulating the community if not enough people take it. This man was definitely over 50 too.

We just need to put the idea out there that the vaccine is 100% effective, but the government will be releasing a second wave of COVID-19 via chem trails across the nation, to kill off everyone who is trying to be "off the grid" or against government...

44 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

my guess is that you'll be waiting a year or so until personal purchase of the vaccine is available (similar to how it for the flu jab). Before then all vaccine is likely to be reserved for govts.

And the Tory government wouldn't then sell on the remaining doses after vaccinating the most vulnerable? Can they?

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I know I won’t be vaccinated by next summer, so even if festivals go ahead then I probably will choose not to go.

Unless lorde is headlining, as I’m desperate to see her, but then I will be masked up 😂😷

I think it depends on what else we do - if we vaccinate the most vulnerable and restrictions have got the numbers down and we have 90% effective rapid testing AND we have a proper working contact tracing system I might feel comfortable (and I've barely left the house in 6 months).

The chances of us getting that with this government seem quite low though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I know I won’t be vaccinated by next summer, so even if festivals go ahead then I probably will choose not to go.

Unless lorde is headlining, as I’m desperate to see her, but then I will be masked up 😂😷

You do realise masks don't protect you from catching Covid? You need the infected people around you to be masked to be protected.

11 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I'm unsure on what I'd do to be honest - I've been spending months expecting just socially distanced gigs and festivals in 2021 and haven't given much consideration to whether I'd go to a proper one 

That said, unless told I have to as part of the official rollout I won't get a vaccine (I don't get a flu one and will trust the official criteria either way) so I guess I'm in the 'back to normal once vulnerable are vaccinated' camp. 

I'd probably go to an outdoor day gig tomorrow (hypothetical obviously) but unsanitary festivals and indoor ones I wouldn't. 

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think it depends on what else we do - if we vaccinate the most vulnerable and restrictions have got the numbers down and we have 90% effective rapid testing AND we have a proper working contact tracing system I might feel comfortable (and I've barely left the house in 6 months).

Unfortunately I think contact tracing and outside of hospital testing would be wound down once it turns out vaccination of the vulnerable is bringing the strain on the health system and deaths down. Might be able to buy tests privately for a decent amount of money though 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Prof Sir John Bell, the regius professor of medicine at Oxford University and a member of the government’s vaccine taskforce, also told MPs from the science and health committees that telling people to self-isolate for 14 days if they were are risk of getting coronavirus was “massively ineffective”.

Greg Clark, the chair of the science committee, asked him if he thought it reasonable to ask people without symptoms to self-isolate for 14 days because they had been in contact with a person with the virus. Bell replied:

The data on this is pretty clear and that is, only very few of those people are actually infected. And in order to prevent a single transmission, you have to isolate 70 of those people for one day. So it is massively ineffective.

And the trouble is that the people out there know it is massively ineffective. That’s why they hate it.

Now, we can do whole lockdowns. It’s 1,000 people a day to stop one transmission, so that’s why people don’t like that either.

Bell said the solution was to use quarantine more precisely.

And he also suggested giving more freedom for three months to people who have had the virus, on the grounds that during that period they were very unlikely to be infectious.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah, I wish he was running the country. Is interested in decisions based on evidence and good judgement and has more brain cells than Johnson has children.

And unlike the other SAGE members, many of whom seem to be loving the opportunity to get their name in the newspapers, he’s offering solutions to get us out of this. Your Neil Ferguson and John Edmunds and Jeremy Farrar types will be fuming when the pandemic is over. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not sure the effectiveness of conducting a mental illness study when we are currently experiencing a global pandemic and have had a pretty terrible year for many reasons (lockdowns, removal of normal life, death and illness, economic issues, job security etc - the mental health impacts to everybody (Covid positive or not) I assume is much higher than normal, so not too sure what they’re trying to show with this really. 

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Unfortunately I think contact tracing and outside of hospital testing would be wound down once it turns out vaccination of the vulnerable is bringing the strain on the health system and deaths down. Might be able to buy tests privately for a decent amount of money though 

Maybe from a government perspective but there's likely still to be restrictions on "mass" gatherings like festivals and arena gigs for a while yet - one way around that would be rapid testing paid for by the promoters.

24 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Latest figures from the rapid mass testing are less than encouraging. ca23,000 tested in 3 days! At that rate it would take 30days to test the whole Glasto site

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Not sure the effectiveness of conducting a mental illness study when we are currently experiencing a global pandemic and have had a pretty terrible year for many reasons (lockdowns, removal of normal life, death and illness, economic issues, job security etc - the mental health impacts to everybody (Covid positive or not) I assume is much higher than normal, so not too sure what they’re trying to show with this really. 

To highlight the need for mental health services?

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Got myself a ticket for Northern Ireland's play-off final with Slovakia on Thursday.

It'll be my first 'event' since pre-March so I'm looking forward to it but it will be strange, only 1,000 fans allowed in the ground.

One of the biggest matches in NI's history too.

Keep us posted how it goes!

It does seem mad that huge 40,000 seater stadiums can't even have a few fans in for events (outside of lockdown) when places like the Albert hall are planning on having Christmas concerts.

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Latest figures from the rapid mass testing are less than encouraging. ca23,000 tested in 3 days! At that rate it would take 30days to test the whole Glasto site

They need an incentive to get the testing numbers up. Apart from good will there's no real reason to get tested if you have no symptoms.

16 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah, I wish he was running the country. Is interested in decisions based on evidence and good judgement and has more brain cells than Johnson has children.

Why had I just had a mouthful of coffee when I read that? Needed a laugh this morning. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Would not worry about that. They have tested everybody who has turned up at the 18 testing sites that have popped up. Capacity for much more but that has been the take up so far. 

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

They need an incentive to get the testing numbers up. Apart from good will there's no real reason to get tested if you have no symptoms.

Incentive to isolate. Anybody who really needs the money from their job day to day and cant wait for the payment (if they're eligible) would be mad to get tested without symptoms

Someone made a flippant remark yesterday but if they want to pilot this then running live football isn't a bad shout - let a certain amount of people back into Anfield with testing.

It wouldn't solve the isolation issue but would encourage a few more to do it...

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Interesting thought experiment. You can go to Glastonbury but if you fail the test you get banged up for two weeks. Who still goes?

I've seen some odd posts in the past (Strokes to headline for instance) but this is up there.

Put people in prison for contracting a virus which they have little control over?

15 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Keep us posted how it goes!

It does seem mad that huge 40,000 seater stadiums can't even have a few fans in for events (outside of lockdown) when places like the Albert hall are planning on having Christmas concerts.

Yeah, it is pretty crazy. Realistically, Windsor Park could probably safely hold a few thousand.

In the Irish Premiership we are allowed a certain % of spectators too so I'm not sure why England aren't allowing any fans at all even at L1/L2 level.